Laguna 2008 Dynamic Hatch Petrol 2.0 l (LA 38)
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Laguna 2008 Dynamic Hatch Petrol 2.0 l (LA 38)

Tadpole

Default Laguna 2008 Dynamic Hatch Petrol 2.0 l (LA 38)

Hi all, is there a fuel cutoff reset switch on this model? The wife took out a rock on the road which hit the undercarriage - no visible damage other than some plastic paneling torn off, but now it will crank but not start. I'm wondering if the impact triggered a fuel cutoff… Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

Tadpole

Hi again, so the Renault service people have just stated that the problem is the fuel pump ($1400 !!!). Now, that's located in the fuel tank, at the rear of the car, while the impact of the stone under the vehicle was at the front. I'm still not convinced that there isn't an inertia fuel cutoff mechanism at work here? Any thoughts, or can anyone confirm that this is not the case? Thanks

Not sure about the cut off, but I have heard of fuel pumps braking in half when there hit by rocks. The don't absorb impacts as well as the tank.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

1000+ Posts

My guess would be loss of power feed to the fuel pump, if its the same as the earlier ones, you could check the connection, lift out the back seat squab and remove round cover, and the connection should be visible, unclip the lead and check if there is power on the cables when the ignition is on - if not trace back along the cable lead and see where the power line has been cut by the rock impact. If you have power then, you could remove the actual pump, you do need a special tool (you can make one up) to remove the securing ring and the pump will come out, but remember to rescrew the ring back on to the tank as the weight of fuel can distort the screwed ring opening to the tank. A heavy shock on the tank can drive the bottom of the tank up into the bottom of the pump and knock the moveable screen sideways and damage the in tank mechanisms. You should be able to pick up a secondhand pump or failing that a new one from the pump supplier in the $800 or less range via ebay, when I fixed mine I got a spare S/hand pump from French Connection at a very reasonable price with spare tank attached!! which was good to practice on to get the ring and NEW sealing O ring back in place. That pump solved the problem and is still going strong, as I recall the damage to that was caused by running over something on the road that thumped the bottom of the tank, cracked the top plastic of the pump body allowing fuel to leak - I was lucky, as there was signs of flash over from the connection close by to the crack!!

Hope that helps ID the problem - just remember about replacing the large screw ring if you are leaving it open as it would be a b*gger to refit on a distorted thread.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Peejay View Post
    Hi all, is there a fuel cutoff reset switch on this model? The wife took out a rock on the road which hit the undercarriage - no visible damage other than some plastic paneling torn off, but now it will crank but not start. I'm wondering if the impact triggered a fuel cutoff… Thanks for any help.
    You might contact David at French Connection. I have a vague memory of an accident damaged Scenic a few years ago that wouldn't start.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

Citroën CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information