My idle control rambling
  • Help
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,486

    Default My idle control rambling

    Idle control was not something I ever gave much thought to over the years as the renault systems always seemed to work for me.

    Switching to after market ecu was the start of all my problems as the ecu only put out a single PCM signal and all my idle valves were 3 wire jobbies.

    I never liked any of the Ford idle control valves that were tried, especialy when they went random and started letting in volumes of air at the most inappropriate times.

    in desperation at not being able to get the 2 wire valves working, and not really liking the idea of shunting a 3 wire to ground, I went to the scrap heap and to look for a valve and piece of wire to make a manual idle control unit with.

    Combined with the trusty watering system 13mm?? $5 ball valve inline to tune cold idle with, a fuego heater valve and a choke cable gave the control needed.

    The heater valve sucked open given no cable input so was a perfect candidate, even if it was designed for coolant. There was even a clip for it on the fire wall so it looks OE.
    At cold startup, I just push the dash knob in, and as it warms up start pulling the revs down as the knob pulls out.

    On sunday i discovered a new positive to being able to fully choke the car to death from within the cabin.

    About 20km from home on a freak storm day where traffic lights were out and trees were down, and traffic was at a crawl, my damn clutch went.
    Just a little alloy bracket that holds the outer cable onto the bell housing broke.

    Being able to choke the throttle down to stupidly low revs in 1st gear whilst in bumper to bumper traffic was possible and was the only other option to using the starter motor to crack it from the mark. If I'd had normal idle control I would have had to abort driving and come back later.

    Whilst the motor was doing these stupidly low revs uphill, I had my eyes firmly on the oil pressure. (17 psi is normal idle) 10...8..7... 6 psi...... green traffic light ... back up to proper revs

    Only had to do that twice, and was thinking if ever my engine was going to use that zddp in oil, this might be the time.

    Like usual, this motor wont die, and after replacing the little bracket, it went like nothing had happened.

    Jo

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts schlitzaugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    loneliness capital of the world
    Posts
    9,339

    Default

    Yep, that's one of the forgotten (already) blessings of a manual choke. Last seen on a car in 1976?

    Then again, how many of us would spring up cash in hand if ads would trumpet gloriously "equipped with special manual rev control device (MRCD) - the latest advance in car technology"?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

    Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    18,563

    Default

    Those damn alloy brackets! Probably only a quarter of a million miles under your belt and it's the one thing you wouldn't think of replacing because it's a non moving part.

    Or is it?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Those damn alloy brackets! Probably only a quarter of a million miles under your belt and it's the one thing you wouldn't think of replacing because it's a non moving part.

    Or is it?
    Well, I suspect it became a moving part when doing an engine change.

    This drive train has been in and out about 8 times in the last 4 years, and when the engine goes back in it always hits the cross member on that part of the drive train. I guess it just got hit too hard to cope with.
    Jo

  5. #5
    Demannu-facturing! Demannu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Menzies Creek
    Posts
    2,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    in desperation at not being able to get the 2 wire valves working, and not really liking the idea of shunting a 3 wire to ground, I went to the scrap heap and to look for a valve and piece of wire to make a manual idle control unit with.
    I've got a 3-wire idle valve on the 406 with Megasquirt. It also has only a single PWM output to drive an idle controller, so I have shunted the valve to earth through a 50 ohm, 40 watt resistor. Works perfectly, very stable. 0% PWM gives me zero opening, you can see it start to move from about 1.5% PWM and it's fully open by about 75% PWM.
    Scotty

    Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

    1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

    1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

    1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

    1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

    1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

    2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

    2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

    1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    I've got a 3-wire idle valve on the 406 with Megasquirt. It also has only a single PWM output to drive an idle controller, so I have shunted the valve to earth through a 50 ohm, 40 watt resistor. Works perfectly, very stable. 0% PWM gives me zero opening, you can see it start to move from about 1.5% PWM and it's fully open by about 75% PWM.
    So it does work well.
    Cool, Once I get my screen back in and go 'digital' again I'l give it a go.



    Jo

  7. #7
    Moderator vivid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    parallel 43° south
    Posts
    1,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Just a little alloy bracket that holds the outer cable onto the bell housing broke.

    Being able to choke the throttle down to stupidly low revs in 1st gear whilst in bumper to bumper traffic was possible and was the only other option to using the starter motor to crack it from the mark. If I'd had normal idle control I would have had to abort driving and come back later.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Like usual, this motor wont die, and after replacing the little bracket, it went like nothing had happened.

    Jo
    I think that aluminium bracket was made to break before the cable does.
    I had one break on me on the way to work once in Melbourne.

    I found even without a clutch and matching revs the gear selector would drop into gear when it was ready.
    At the few red traffic lights I met, I turned the ignition off in 1st, and popped it no problems 4 or 5 times.

    I diverted 5km to Ken @ Caravelle in Box Hill, limped it over and parked infront of Autoparis. Paul saw me stuffing around out the front with my tie hanging in the engine, and insisted on installing it free of charge, and I was off.
    It did take some explaining as to why I also had a 3/8 socket and washer inline with the new bracket and clutch cable. The cable had passed the stretch tolerance, and rather than replace the cable I stuck the socket in there.
    Heaviest damn clutch I've ever driven.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •