Fuego extractors
  • Help

Default Fuego extractors

Sorry for the noob question but does anyone know if there are extractors (headers if you prefer) available for Fuego anymore in Australia?

Advertisement

Were they available before???? Doubt it

Now...no not an off the shelf item.

Jo

Overseas then? Or are they all custom fab jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Huffy View Post
    Overseas then? Or are they all custom fab jobs?
    Never seen two the same so I'd guess yes, all custom fabrication.

All the fuegos I know of with extractors are very modified.
    I doubt you would notice anything apart from a different noise to the OE manifold, which as far as factory manifolds go is a nice bit of casting. You'll lose a bit of weight too as the cast iron weighs a ton.

Jo

Some of mine.....Fuego extractors-ext-1.jpgFuego extractors-ext-2.jpg

Jo

1000+ Posts

I don't have any, but those I have seen have been fabricated to the owners design - feel free to do your own wild design!!

I'm sure others who have done them will help with advice.

Ken

In the early days of fuegos there were many sets sold. I think you will find Ken at Caravelle kept them in stock back then. This was brought about but the common problem of the cast iron headers cracking. I know when I worked at Mantello Motors in North Melbourne we used to keep at least one set in stock all the time.

Peter

Yes, this is the reason I'm looking, although not yet leaking, mine are cracking, eventually will leak me thinks. Not much I can do about it with a cast manifold.
    I have seen photos so was thinking there must have been some about at one time or another.
    Jo, yours look far from matched lengths, especially for a 4-2-1 setup. How do you find them or are the photos misleading?

1000+ Posts

When my Fugeo manifold cracked I welded the crack with cast iron rod and then welded a strengthening web into it to stop it happening again. First I got the motor hot then welded the upside while still bolted in the car to stop distortion. Then removed the manifold and completed the other side. I have also welded a broken manifold on a tractor the full weight of the muffler sits on it and it never broke again. Cast iron welding is easy and very strong. There are two points, keep it from distorting by bolting it to something solid, and heat it up evenly over the whole casting before welding it.

Jo, yours look far from matched lengths, especially for a 4-2-1 setup. How do you find them or are the photos misleading?
    I suppose without any dyno numbers to prove anything, you'll just need to take a look at the OE manifold and guess at what type of difference extractors will make.
    My guess would be bugger all difference to anything except weight, and why extractors were the very last mod I made, not the first.

BUT...if they do make a profound difference, then what...you'll have to tune your carby to match, and doing anything to that webber carb (except binning it) would be like polishing a turd.

What I did when my car was at the stage yours is was to get a R21 double gusset manifold, and a new down pipe made up at an exhaust place.
    This exhaust lasted through the change from crapy carby to R21 efi, and even onto the aftermarket efi.

Only when I'd run out of ideas for things to waste my money on, and had an ecu that was fully tunable did I move on to extractors and by that time I had so much power( for a fuego) that a little more would have been hard to notice.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    BUT...if they do make a profound difference, then what...you'll have to tune your carby to match, and doing anything to that webber carb (except binning it) would be like polishing a turd.

Yeah, not in any great rush here, just looking for options. Was thinking DCOE path or possibly r21 efi to replace the dodgy DARA weber

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof
    When my Fugeo manifold cracked I welded the crack with cast iron rod and then welded a strengthening web into it to stop it happening again
    Haven't tried welding cast manifolds, just assumed they'd just crack at the weld again. Might give it a go in the meantime.

1000+ Posts

Haven't tried welding cast manifolds, just assumed they'd just crack at the weld again. Might give it a go in the meantime.
    Not if you also weld in a strengthening piece. From memory cast rod will weld in a steel strengthening piece.

Makes sense

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    When my Fugeo manifold cracked I welded the crack with cast iron rod and then welded a strengthening web into it to stop it happening again. First I got the motor hot then welded the upside while still bolted in the car to stop distortion. Then removed the manifold and completed the other side. I have also welded a broken manifold on a tractor the full weight of the muffler sits on it and it never broke again. Cast iron welding is easy and very strong. There are two points, keep it from distorting by bolting it to something solid, and heat it up evenly over the whole casting before welding it.
    Hi
    I have used bronze welding also for similar cracks. Oxy welded and also used that for construction of exhaust systems and extractors.
    Same provisos apply for the welding as Sunroof has said, heat it evenly all over and and bolt it to something to help prevent distortion.
    Cheers jaahn

Thread Information