R19 idle
  • Help

Thread: R19 idle

Default R19 idle

My dad's R19 dies when he lifts off the accelerator, he says he needs to drive with 3 feet to stop the car from stalling.
    Once he's come to a standstill and he's blipped the throttle a few times, the R19 settles down to a rough idle.
    His mechanic says it's computer management related, but has no diagnostic computer to plug into the R19.
    Any ideas on what it could be and who he could take it to to have it sussed out? (Sydney area)

He's owned his R19 since new, it is immaculate and he has always had the no expense spared attitude when it came to maintaining it, but being an R19 it's not worth much.
    He has a Scenic as his everyday driver and he's talking about parking the R19 out the back. I've told him, if he does that it will be worth nothing.
    He's offered me the R19, but it's just not my type of car.

Advertisement
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

COL

Hi Renomad

You need to find someone with an XR25, I think Jo may still have one. When you track one down it would not take long to find what is wrong with the car.

But at a stab in the dark by your description of the problem I would say its the temp sensor for the computer There are tow of these sensors close together one for the computer and the other for the temp gauge.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Correct Col.

I've got the xr25 (and even know how to use it).

If the mighty r19 will make it to my place I'll happily plug her in and have a look at what might be wrong.
    Alternatively, colliers would surely have an XR25. Reckon I'll be cheaper though.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I would think the first place to look would be the "idle control valve". A common failure point on lots of cars. It may even be fixable by a cleaning and also cleaning the ports it uses.
    The diagnostic unit will not tell you that anyway probably. I fixed my 19 by cleaning the idle control valve or you could just buy a new one !!
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

any of the above or perhaps just an air leak on the intake side. Computer is most likely not much help but worth a try. Had an idle problem on a 19 some years ago and had it checked by Renault trained technicians - no less, at two different stealers and neither found the fault. My mate did with a multimeter - it was the alternator. Didn't take him long either.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Idle control valve for sure. Will take about 10 minutes to pull off (if its late model 1.8 - just pull off the hoses if its an earlier 1.7), clean out the gummed up innards with some carby cleaner (gloves and eye protection!!) and put it back on.

Does it have a new-found thirst for fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    any of the above or perhaps just an air leak on the intake side. Computer is most likely not much help but worth a try. Had an idle problem on a 19 some years ago and had it checked by Renault trained technicians - no less, at two different stealers and neither found the fault. My mate did with a multimeter - it was the alternator. Didn't take him long either.
    The XR25 measures voltage (if you could be bothered looking).
    It also shows the 'number' that corresponds with the opening size of the idle valve.
    Jo

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll let Dad know and let you know of his next coarse of action.
    Cheers Renomad

Dad want to have a go at cleaning 'idle control valve', where do we find this and what does it look like?
    Thanks.
    Cheers Renomad

Not the first one on R19s. The second is like the 1.7 cars, but the air hose connections will opposite each other.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Renomad,
    I think I still have a couple of R19 manuals in the garage. I'll have a look and let you know.
    If I do have them you could borrow for a few weeks while either you or Albert have a play if you like.

KB
    KB

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    The XR25 measures voltage (if you could be bothered looking).
    It also shows the 'number' that corresponds with the opening size of the idle valve.
    Jo
    Sorry if i have offended you Did say it's worth a try with a but from my experience of trained technicians using it. And yes, i know all that without bothering to look it up.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Dad's R19 is a 1.8, we took off something that looks similar to the one in the second link that Addo posted. It bolts onto the top of the intake manifold. It was black and nasty looking on the inside, but because we were at Dad's place and he has limited tools there wasn't much we could do, but when we bolted it back on the idle problem was gone!
    Maybe we jolted something lose?
    Thanks for the offers KB and Jo, we may still take you up on them, at the moment Dad is happy, but I feel the problem will come back because we didn't do anything really.

I keep telling Dad how good AF is and how helpful everyone is on this site and that he should join up, but you know how it is with old folk and this new fangled internet thing!
    Cheers Renomad

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad View Post
    Dad's R19 is a 1.8, we took off something that looks similar to the one in the second link that Addo posted. It bolts onto the top of the intake manifold. It was black and nasty looking on the inside, but because we were at Dad's place and he has limited tools there wasn't much we could do, but when we bolted it back on the idle problem was gone!
    Maybe we jolted something lose?
    Thanks for the offers KB and Jo, we may still take you up on them, at the moment Dad is happy, but I feel the problem will come back because we didn't do anything really.

I keep telling Dad how good AF is and how helpful everyone is on this site and that he should join up, but you know how it is with old folk and this new fangled internet thing!
    Good to hear.
    If you want a bush fix for if it suddenly happens again, go down to bunnings and buy a 13mm???? inline watering system tap for about $3.
    Keep it in the glove box and next time it starts dying just unplug the idle valve and shove this mechanical valve in its place.
    Once the car is hot the air needs are prety much constant and you should be able to return drivability to the car, even is it does lose a hundred RPM when the AC comes on.

I have a few spare electric valves on the shelf should you need to replace it.

Another little anal tip...I dont clean mine with throttle body cleaner, but use MAF sensor cleaner instead. It cost more but is a little less destructive.

Jo

Thread Information