66' R8 rear shock compatibility
  • Help

Default 66' R8 rear shock compatibility

Hello All,

Advertisement

It looks as though I bought the wrong NOS shock for my 66'. In reviewing it looks more similar to those found on the r10. The rubber cushions are too large. Before I look for other options, is it possible to replace the larger rubber blocks with the more slender off of my stock boge units? Or possibly just the top cushion, since that is truly what is too large for the space on the 66'?

Thanks, Ben

66' R8  rear shock compatibility-shocks-large.jpg

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=forzamacchi;1237506]Hello All,

It looks as though I bought the wrong NOS shock for my 66'. In reviewing it looks more similar to those found on the r10. The rubber cushions are too large. Before I look for other options, is it possible to replace the larger rubber blocks with the more slender off of my stock boge units? Or possibly just the top cushion, since that is truly what is too large for the space on the 66'?

Thanks, Ben

I wasn't aware of any lack of interchangeability of R8-1100 & R10. The cushions might be larger on the new dampers but just what is the space problem? Or do you have a 956cc R8? If so, given that vehicle's closeness in some ways to the Dauphine -Gordini, perhaps there is an issue. I imagine that John W. might throw light on things.

cheers! Peter.

Are the rubber bushes too tall or too wide?
    Like Peter, I'm struggling to understand exactly what the issue is. The shocks between the R8s, R10;s and even to an extent R8G should be compatible save for the comment on the length of shock and how it mounts to the lower control arm on some models - JohnW has documented and posted on this on here previously.

if the bushes off your old shocks fit, then I can't see any reason why you couldn't use them except age and condition.
    KB

Thanks Guys... It's really just the top cushion that would go above the shock tower. The space on my R8 1100 (major) can only allow the size of the stock R8 top cushion... So I will just use the stock boge piece on top... problem solved. The dampers are almost exactly the same, minus the cushion thicknesses.

As long as the ID of the bush is similar in size, I can't see what difference it would make.
    Sounds like the listing was "it will fit" rather than "this is exactly correct" perhaps?
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by forzamacchi View Post
    Thanks Guys... It's really just the top cushion that would go above the shock tower. The space on my R8 1100 (major) can only allow the size of the stock R8 top cushion... So I will just use the stock boge piece on top... problem solved. The dampers are almost exactly the same, minus the cushion thicknesses.
    Hmm. I'd check that the shock is the same length compressed and extended as the original. AFAIK they are all the same, as the swing axles and travel angles are the same, but the R10 had slightly firmer rear springs than the early R8 (R1130). We fitted R10 rear springs and new Konis, the same for R8 and R10 at the time, in the mid-1970s and I haven't had it apart since to be honest. Quite reliable, these cars.....

However, the later cars had rubber buffers on the shock piston rod to provide a more progressive cushioning on the down stroke, i.e. as the suspension compressed, I think. The fronts did too. It all fits under the tower though. Photos of your shocks would help?

Simon may add more, and perhaps more accurately.
    Last edited by JohnW; 11th March 2014 at 11:19 PM.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Are the rubber bushes too tall or too wide?
    Like Peter, I'm struggling to understand exactly what the issue is. The shocks between the R8s, R10;s and even to an extent R8G should be compatible save for the comment on the length of shock and how it mounts to the lower control arm on some models - JohnW has documented and posted on this on here previously.

if the bushes off your old shocks fit, then I can't see any reason why you couldn't use them except age and condition.
    And my posts were to do with the front shocks, for which there are two lengths and two lower mount types to accommodate those different fully extended lengths.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information