For the 4CV fans ... - Page 5
  • Register
  • Help
Page 5 of 16 First 12345678915 ... Last
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: For the 4CV fans ...

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    J-man, is the ignition switch up for grabs, I need one for the Fregate?
    What sort of ignition switch, out of interest? I presume you mean a Nieman device with steering lock? Does it incorporate the starter action or just turn on the ignition? We'd have to be able to find you one in the 4CV group I'd have thought.

The later ones, e.g. Renault Dauphine and R8/10, include the starter action and are available new. The earlier ones? Must be some in Oz in peoples' boxes of stuff.

Let me know and I'll chase around a bit.

Cheers

Cheers

John

Advertisement
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    That's one of the many things I want to go back for MG. My car has a home made dash to suit 16TS gauges & R10 column but I'd prefer to use the nice original 4CV dash & column out of this car, even though it's not an early dash. There is no key to it which is a slight pain. Would a R10 ignition switch work for you?
    Yes, I have an R10 switch but it has been brutalized (presumably when someone tried to remove it without knowing how) beyond repair but the R10 switch fits perfectly if you or anyone has one too spare..

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    hmm! Nice but ....
    I must say I don't share his enthusiasm for whitewall tyres; in my view, they visually unbalance the vehicle's overall appearance.
    All a matter of subjective taste of course.
    cheers! Peter
    Agreed! Roger's is a fine white line and complements his pale green car, to my eyes. The Austrian grey car isn't, again to my eyes, well served by the fully white wall appearance. It wouldn't suit my dark blue car at all.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    What sort of ignition switch, out of interest? I presume you mean a Nieman device with steering lock? Does it incorporate the starter action or just turn on the ignition? We'd have to be able to find you one in the 4CV group I'd have thought.

The later ones, e.g. Renault Dauphine and R8/10, include the starter action and are available new. The earlier ones? Must be some in Oz in peoples' boxes of stuff.

Let me know and I'll chase around a bit.

Cheers

Cheers

John
    I'd be happy with either one John as they all seem to be interchangable. I'm not too sure if the Fregate has the notch n the steering column for the lock tongue. But an R10 switch will still work in this case.

I'd be happy with either one John as they all seem to be interchangable. I'm not too sure if the Fregate has the notch n the steering column for the lock tongue. But an R10 switch will still work in this case.
    I'll ask around at this end Graham. No doubt Simon will know the details. They seem the same, from my limited experience.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

G didn't it have a pull starter not a key start?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    G didn't it have a pull starter not a key start?
    Yes it has a pull starter and I will run with that but if I have a key start option as well it won't hurt. I never know how long the pull start will function for.

Default For the 4CV fans ...

I returned for another raid on the old 4CV today. Not much left of it now. I didn't realise how much was involved with the hood lining around the back window! I at least have something to copy now for my missing hood lining, plus the bows. I have the dash out of it but I couldn't get the steering column off the shaft with the steering locked and no key. Any ideas on how I can slide the column off the steering shaft? I don't wish to tackle those nasty bolts on the rack coupling even though I could probably benefit from having the steering shaft as well.
    I poked around at the rust down the back of the roof gutter and I could tear it open with my fingers! This is one very rusty 4CV!
    Looking at the number plates, it was a Carl Drummond sold car at some stage.

For the 4CV fans ...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410677674.101672.jpgFor the 4CV fans ...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410677688.416113.jpgFor the 4CV fans ...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410677702.735336.jpgFor the 4CV fans ...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410677713.986531.jpgFor the 4CV fans ...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410677722.303754.jpgFor the 4CV fans ...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410677735.888059.jpg
    Last edited by J-man; 14th September 2014 at 06:01 PM.
    cheers,

John

Waste not want not...Good work J-man.

I know exactly what you mean about the hood lining, I imagine it would be a similar setup as my Fregate and it's a job I've been avoiding,..but not for too much longer.

I have found that the best tool to have on hand when cannibalizing a stuffed car body is a 9" angle grinder. If you can't get the nuts undone on site simply cut out the surrounding body work (or dash in your case) and deal with it at home.

Safety note: A 9" angle grinder is one of the most dangerous power tools of all if not experienced with such. Have some water at hand as well incase of a grass fire. [ I know all this from experience..]

1000+ Posts

<snip>

Safety note: A 9" angle grinder is one of the most dangerous power tools of all if not experienced with such. Have some water at hand as well incase of a grass fire. [ I know all this from experience..]
    Good man (the new Graham that is, not the old one)! I've been a firey for almost 30 years (not my day job) & am always irritated when we turn out to fires caused by tools, exhausts etc. (& those that are ill-controlled burn-offs that have got away). All easily preventable by anyone with more than two operative neurones to rub together.

cheers! Peter

...wot was wrong with the old one...

Looking at the number plates, it was a Carl Drummond sold car at some stage.
    That's interesting. I don't recall ever seeing a secondhand 4CV sold by a dealer as late as Carl Drummond Motors' operation on Pulteney Street. I suppose they'd have taken the right trade in. It surely is a "modern" number plate, relative to the originals.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

...wot was wrong with the old one...
    seemingly started a grass fire with an angle grinder
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    seemingly started a grass fire with an angle grinder
    Could have been worse Peter. I bought a Falcon Sprint off a deceased estate early Falcon & Morris collector. Deceased because the collector was trying to start one of his cars on his property pouring fuel down the carby. When the guy starting it cranked it over it backfired and caught alight. The owner panicked and threw the container lighting the paddock. He had a heart attack and died!
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That's interesting. I don't recall ever seeing a secondhand 4CV sold by a dealer as late as Carl Drummond Motors' operation on Pulteney Street. I suppose they'd have taken the right trade in. It surely is a "modern" number plate, relative to the originals.
    I remember Carl Drummond had a smaller yard on North East Rd Gilles Plains. That's where my Mum bought a nice blue 16TS and brother bought a mustard 12GL. Maybe that's where it was sold way back?
    cheers,

John

1000+ Posts

Could have been worse Peter. I bought a Falcon Sprint off a deceased estate early Falcon & Morris collector. Deceased because the collector was trying to start one of his cars on his property pouring fuel down the carby. When the guy starting it cranked it over it backfired and caught alight. The owner panicked and threw the container lighting the paddock. He had a heart attack and died!
    jesus wept

I haven't the words. You just shake your head sometimes. "Pouring fuel down the carby..." is best done by about the teaspoonful for all cylinders, not each cylinder. And so we could go on.

All we can do is try and learn the lessons and pass them on to receptive younger minds... We had a huge bushfire near Perth a year or two back, dozens of houses lost, much misery etc, all caused by an off-duty policeman using an angle grinder on a fire ban day.

Anyway, back to 4CV matters. Mine has never caught fire. But I was lucky once with the dreaded brass tube into the carby...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

For you J-man..

1000+ Posts

Ah ha!! Maybe my little baby and I can get us a nice young lady like that when I get him back from the menders!! I ain't no oil painting, but.

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    Ah ha!! Maybe my little baby and I can get us a nice young lady like that when I get him back from the menders!! I ain't no oil painting, but.
    Ha! A 4CV is a chick magnet! So is a big Citroen.

Doing the Daffy Duck dance with the AussieFrogs app and a cane.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    Ha! A 4CV is a chick magnet! So is a big Citroen.

Some of us rely on our good looks and charm.

Some of us rely on our good looks and charm.
    Well? That's what I used on the last one and then my buddy with the 4CV tried to abscond with her.

For you J-man..

That's cool MG! Thanks for sharing
    cheers,

John

1000+ Posts

That's not a cool MG, it's a REALY cool Renault 4CV!!
    J-man likes this.

1000+ Posts

For you J-man..

what a charming little piece of whimsy!
    peter

Page 5 of 16 First 12345678915 ... Last

Thread Information