Page 13 of 16 First ... 3910111213141516 Last
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: For the 4CV fans ...

Many thanks Simon. I'll read that with much interest. Cheers, Steve

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Good to know the car is still going!

All the results for the competitive categories of Targa Tasmania are located on this site. It will also include the stage times. https://targa.com.au/tc/page_full.asp?asset_id=1648
    Colin Rose never entered the car in any competitive category. It ran in the so-called "Tour" which is a series of cars running up to 130 kph in convoy (fastest first) following an official lead car. The Tour cars preceded the competitive entries.

This might sound tame but is actually fun. I once did a Hobart area stage in a (Yamaha 5 valve headed) Corolla engined Elfin Clubman (Colin was there that year). If one ignored official instructions & hung back to create a gap & then surged, one could have a nice "go". Closed roads are always fun & it helped that it pissed with rain on the stage I did.

cheers! Peter
    JohnW likes this.

Thought you people might like to see my latest garden ornament and my brother and a mate celebrating Australia day in a multicultural French/Aussie way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For the 4CV fans ...-750-garden.jpg   For the 4CV fans ...-750-garden-2.jpg   For the 4CV fans ...-750-garden-3.jpg  
    geckoeng and JohnW like this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Thought you people might like to see my latest garden ornament and my brother and a mate celebrating Australia day in a multicultural French/Aussie way.
    David, I wouldn't mind betting your garden art is closely related to my 4CV. Same features including front cursive Renault badge, full size slotted opening in the front guards to let the horn noise out and let the water in, same number plate panel on the back, same colour (under my yellow brush paint job that is). It would be interesting to compare ID plates but mine doesn't appear to have the right plates for its features

It'd be cool to register it and drive it as is (if it was made drive-able and roadworthy). Imagine pulling up to the shops in it!
    I'm guessing in reality, if it was driven it would probably snap in half going over a speed hump from rust
    David Cavanagh and JohnW like this.
    cheers,

John

Thanks Peter. That explains why I haven't been able to locate any records of class wins. Might also explain why I haven't been able to find any evidence of Colin Rose racing a Cappuchino after he'd moved Kermit on.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    David, I wouldn't mind betting your garden art is closely related to my 4CV. Same features including front cursive Renault badge, full size slotted opening in the front guards to let the horn noise out and let the water in, same number plate panel on the back, same colour (under my yellow brush paint job that is). It would be interesting to compare ID plates but mine doesn't appear to have the right plates for its features

It'd be cool to register it and drive it as is (if it was made drive-able and roadworthy). Imagine pulling up to the shops in it!
    I'm guessing in reality, if it was driven it would probably snap in half going over a speed hump from rust
    Probably would snap in half so best leave it there. Send photos of yours.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Probably would snap in half so best leave it there. Send photos of yours.
    When I had it back in 1977 and a more recent shot in my shed.

For the 4CV fans ...-098.jpgFor the 4CV fans ...-img_0925.jpg
    cheers,

John

David, I wouldn't mind betting your garden art is closely related to my 4CV. Same features including front cursive Renault badge, full size slotted opening in the front guards to let the horn noise out and let the water in, same number plate panel on the back, same colour (under my yellow brush paint job that is).
    I was going to say "1952/3?". That hole ventilates the battery too. And stops it from drying out, as you said.
    J-man likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Renault 4CV Register of Australia

David, I wouldn't mind betting your garden art is closely related to my 4CV.
    Is there an engine number on any old rego papers you could try and match with David's car (assuming his car has the original motor)?
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

David and Steve,
    Like the Garden Feature very much, If I had my own place I would have similar in my garden.

Take care,
    Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Turner View Post
    Thanks Peter. That explains why I haven't been able to locate any records of class wins. Might also explain why I haven't been able to find any evidence of Colin Rose racing a Cappuchino after he'd moved Kermit on.
    Steve
    Incidentally, as far as I know, the Dauphine Gordini transaxle in Kermit is the one that I put in my second 4CV (built up from a shell from a South Road wrecker in Adelaid in 1966). From start to finish it had weak synchro on second but, as I double declutch standardly, it didn't get any worse over the 30 odd years that I was using it.

I had it in that 4CV & the one that replaced it in 1968 (after a mate put the original one on its side) until 1999. (I still have the third 4CV but not with any of the original mechanical bits; Colin criticised my beastie as "just a hotrod", to which I replied that I certainly hoped so as that was the aim.)

Hopefully Kermit still has the inner end half axle support bearing that Colin designed & fitted.

cheers! Peter
    David Cavanagh and JohnW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Is there an engine number on any old rego papers you could try and match with David's car (assuming his car has the original motor)?
    Great idea Simon! The guy I sold it too back in 1980 and then bought off him again 26 years later said he still has the rego papers I gave him. Somewhere ....
    cheers,

John

Great idea Simon! The guy I sold it too back in 1980 and then bought off him again 26 years later said he still has the rego papers I gave him. Somewhere ....
    Good idea Simon but wont work. Steve bought this car about 35 years ago only because it had a Dauph G motor and box in it. That's all gone now and all that's in is just scrap that was lying around just for display purposes only.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Colin criticised my beastie as "just a hotrod", to which I replied that I certainly hoped so as that was the aim.... Which all goes to show that honesty is the best policy.

Then you added "Hopefully Kermit still has the inner end half axle support bearing that Colin designed & fitted." That is seriously interesting. The "Pauley 4CV" (my naming) in Adelaide has the same, made by its owner to his great credit. It is neat engineering I reckon, although way too expensive and sophisticated for a 1940s French economy car and its descendants!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=4cvg;1508929]---

--- "just a hotrod", to which I replied that I certainly hoped so as that was the aim.)

Hopefully Kermit still has the inner end half axle support bearing that Colin designed & fitted.

cheers! Peter[/QUOTE

Hi
    I have been enjoying this thread, takes me back --------
    However the mention of the inner axle support bearing has me intrigued. Why ?? seems to be a good idea to solve a problem which does not exist or have I missed something ? Now another one mentioned by John.
    I like engineering solutions and redesigns etc but that one seems unnecessary to me. Bigger and heavier and faster models used the standard arrangement without problems even in competition. Enlighten me !
    Jaahn

[QUOTE=jaahn;1509190]
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    ---

--- "just a hotrod", to which I replied that I certainly hoped so as that was the aim.)

cheers! Peter[/QUOTE

Hi
    I have been enjoying this thread, takes me back --------
    However the mention of the inner axle support bearing has me intrigued. Why ?? seems to be a good idea to solve a problem which does not exist or have I missed something ? Now another one mentioned by John. I like engineering solutions and redesigns etc but that one seems unnecessary to me. Bigger and heavier and faster models used the standard arrangement without problems even in competition. Enlighten me ! Jaahn
    Thought you'd like it. We must meet sometime!

I might leave that justification to those who devised and implemented the inner bearing. I like the idea in principle, so the wheel bearing, which is not self-aligning, doesn't have to accommodate wear in the inner U-joint and the angular deflection that occurs (at rest or very low speeds only I guess). The axle is fully supported at both ends with this modified arrangement therefore, as you're understanding I guess. My R8 has had one set of new rear wheel bearings, at about 300,000 km I guess, and is on its original U-joints, which must be a bit sloppy by now. I haven't looked at them for 30 years and the car is 52 years old. So, you'd judge that the standard engineering is adequate. In my mind, it is just a nice bit of extra engineering but, like you, I don't see the original problem. Now, the 750. Hmm. It had sort of OK U-joints, not new, in about 1970 and I haven't looked at them since. About 100,000 km. I have had spares in the drawer for decades. Says it all I guess.

It remains neat, mechanically though, doesn't it?

Cheers
    jaahn likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

It's now time for a thread sponsored commercial

JohnW and jaahn like this.
    cheers,

John

It's now time for a thread sponsored commercial

It's nice, but an odd choice of livery for a UK spec RHD car :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I've a vague idea I've seen it before - maybe Robin Redrup's latest restoration from a couple of years ago in UK?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

See latest Fourword.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    See latest Fourword.
    Ah. Thanks....
    Last edited by JohnW; 19th March 2017 at 10:37 PM.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

The only things I'm aware of having been removed from Kermit are the racing seats, the roll cage and the BMW brake booster, which one previous owner has told me led to the brakes feeling very spongy. The brakes are now not boosted, which adds somewhat to the excitement of driving the wee beastie.
    Last edited by Steve Turner; 21st March 2017 at 05:05 PM.
    J-man and JohnW like this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Turner View Post
    The only things I'm aware of having been removed from Kermit are the racing seats, the roll cage and the BMW brake booster, which one previous owner has told me led to the brakes feeling very spongy. The brakes are now not boosted, which adds somewhat to the excitement of driving the wee beastie.
    In my view the booster was always a bad idea. It's not as if pedal pressure is enormous without it & unboosted brakes are more easily "read" for threshold braking in the wet.

A pity about the cage and the harnesses though. Worth reinstating if you can. Mostly for safety but, for the harness, also for torso location when cornering vigorously &, for the cage, for body rigidity (depending on how it's mounted).

cheers! Peter
    Steve Turner likes this.

I'm not too bothered about reinstalling the roll cage or harnesses. I don't have over-imagined ideas about my driving skills, and am happy just to fang along a nice piece of road at a comfortable rather than a furious clip. And although Kermit's motor is now completely rebuilt, I'm happy tp allow him to do most things extremely well and not push him to his limits. A future owner may want to do that, but for now, we're just two old farts enjoying the scenery (albeit quickly)

All the best,
    Steve

Agree re the brakes too! Have fun and hope to see you again in Griffith.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Page 13 of 16 First ... 3910111213141516 Last

Thread Information