New Clio 900cc Turbo and 1.2L turbo auto drives
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HONG KONG PUGGY

Thread: New Clio 900cc Turbo and 1.2L turbo auto drives

Default New Clio 900cc Turbo and 1.2L turbo auto drives

Last Saturday, i attended the launch of the Clio Range at Bryan Byrt Renault, Upper Mt Gravatt, Brisbane.

I was there to see what was on offer, not looking to purchase as that's out of the question currently.

Advertisement

My ulterior motive was as editor of the RCCQ magazine I'd write a story for our next magazine, just purely as a payback for the tireless work Cory Clark and Bryan Byrt have done for us over the past several years, right down to the supply through Renault Aus of the two Targa Tas Meganes at our Grand Display this year.

To say I was impressed by the two cars I drove would be an understatement.

I took the auto 1.2 6sp out first. Wow, just wow. What a consummate performer for a small 4cyl, constant turbo engine. It was capable, quick and nimble. Renault have recaptured their old heritage with these two cars in my opinion.
    They both drove well and for the asking price of $18k will give the Koreans a real nudge in the quality and affordability race.
    Good luck to Renault with the new range.

I will post a better write up here once I have the magazine finished for our club.

Cheers HKP
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    Last Saturday, i attended the launch of the Clio Range at Bryan Byrt Renault, Upper Mt Gravatt, Brisbane.

I was there to see what was on offer, not looking to purchase as that's out of the question currently.

My ulterior motive was as editor of the RCCQ magazine I'd write a story for our next magazine, just purely as a payback for the tireless work Cory Clark and Bryan Byrt have done for us over the past several years, right down to the supply through Renault Aus of the two Targa Tas Meganes at our Grand Display this year.

To say I was impressed by the two cars I drove would be an understatement.

I took the auto 1.2 6sp out first. Wow, just wow. What a consummate performer for a small 4cyl, constant turbo engine. It was capable, quick and nimble. Renault have recaptured their old heritage with these two cars in my opinion.
    They both drove well and for the asking price of $18k will give the Koreans a real nudge in the quality and affordability race.
    Good luck to Renault with the new range.

I will post a better write up here once I have the magazine finished for our club.

Cheers HKP

I'm dying to take one of the 900cc turbos for a spin. On paper they apear to be all the fun of Renault 10's and 12's back again.

Good on Renault for bringing back the cars that they were so good at. Hope they sell like hot cakes.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Will have to keep an eye on the auctions for a wreck so I can steal the engine for the 10.
    It was a fun drive Dave.
    If you gave one to someone and asked them after 10 minutes they eould be guessing itbis a 1200 at least.
    If people get over their bias against frogs thry will push Renault well up the sales table I think

Sent from my SGP311 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    Will have to keep an eye on the auctions for a wreck so I can steal the engine for the 10.
    It was a fun drive Dave.
    If you gave one to someone and asked them after 10 minutes they eould be guessing itbis a 1200 at least.
    If people get over their bias against frogs thry will push Renault well up the sales table I think

I was just thinking. How legal is it in a 10?

I mean according to law a 10% capacity increase needs an engineers certificate but this is decrease in capacity, decrease in cylinders but adding a blower. Would it need an engineers cerificate?
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

The current legislation probably precedes turbo and mechanical compumpenstuffers so you'd only ever find out how legal you were when the ship hits the sand. You know what asking the authorities for an opinion would do for you!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Took a 4 pot auto out for a quick spin today. Not too bad.

Good size, and the double clutch auto seems pretty decent - once on the move. Nail it from a standing start and it's waiting waiting waiting oh right there we go... Maybe that will be better once it's learned the driver, or maybe I'm not doing it right?

Downside were drum brakes (seriously wtf...?) and no flat floor with the seats folded (that was virtually a deal breaker for Kirsty).

3 pot amusingly has the gap left by lopping off the 4th cylinder, otherwise looks identical under the lid

But l like the size and it's seems to drive well, from what I could tell with the dealer in the car with me... I look forward to sampling the RS version.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Kim. They have applied for the clearence and as I understand have been granted this.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I was just thinking. How legal is it in a 10?

I mean according to law a 10% capacity increase needs an engineers certificate but this is decrease in capacity, decrease in cylinders but adding a blower. Would it need an engineers cerificate?
    If they apply the same multiplication factor that is used in motor sport, for engine capacity, i would say that it won't be legal.
    the formula used for turbo charged cars is capacity x 1.7
    which means 900cc x 1.7 = 1530cc
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

I'm aware that most off the shelf stock turbos deliver about 120% horsepower but that racing turbo engines can produce over 500% horsepower. Who pulled that 1.7 figure and why?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Keep remembering that >10% doesn't mean that it can't be legal, just that one has to put an application in & get an engineer's certification of the work. (A process I successfully went through - going from 747/845cc to 1397cc).
    cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I'm aware that most off the shelf stock turbos deliver about 120% horsepower but that racing turbo engines can produce over 500% horsepower. Who pulled that 1.7 figure and why?
    The 1.7 figure comes straight out of the CAMS manual of motor sport and is used to wok out what division you should be running in.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Thread Information