Easy Fuego Front Suspension Upgrade
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mistareno

Thread: Easy Fuego Front Suspension Upgrade

  1. #1
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default Easy Fuego Front Suspension Upgrade

    With my old Fuego I fitted different front springs and Renault 25 dampers and generally fiddled around alot with the front end until I got it right.

    Advertisement


    With my current Fuego, I was intending to do the same thing but instead tried something simpler that I had wanted to try after looking at several new cars.

    The Fuego has a very light front spring rate and a fairly solid sway bar as a result, the Fuego can be quite snappy at the limit as it transfers weight to the loaded front tyre under braking or sudden lift off mid corner.

    Instead of changing the springs and dampers, this time I removed the oem rock hard bump stop and installed a 'Micro Cellular Jounce Bumper'



    The Bumper is about twice the length of the standard bump stop. It is in slight contact with the damper at static ride height. It preforms the job of both a bump stop and a supplemental, active foam rubber spring.

    The effect is that it still feels like a Fuego, but it doesn't dive under brakes or cornering because the spring rate is truly progressive from the moment the wheel starts compressing past static ride height.

    This means that the car still turns in like it has stock soft springs (ie very well) but once turned in, the car is far more stable.

    I also installed polyurethane shock absorber bushes so that they can transfer load without deforming.

  2. #2
    COL
    COL is offline
    A110 COL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Van Diemen's Land
    Posts
    3,960

    Default

    Where did you get those Micro Cellular Jounce Bumpers from?
    Regards Col

    1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

    http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,714

    Default

    interesting; as is the h&r page
    thanks, peter

  4. #4
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Probably worth noting that I've had these on the car for a year or so and they haven't changed dimensionally to an measurable extent (ie they haven't squished much)

    I used the bump stops from a Mk4 VW Golf rear suspension as they were the longest ones readily available. I wanted to be able to trim them to experiment and they were pretty cheap on EPray.

    They look the same as the picture, but I trimmed the entire top bump off to get the right length. I have another set in the shed which I may trim the other way (remove the smallest bump instead to give a faster rate rise).

    You can squeeze them in without removing the springs so, it doesn't take long to experiment with.

    I'd like to send a set to Jo to get an evaluation on his car and 'track' but he's struggling with the Power Steering of Doom at the moment...

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! Rally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pearl Beach NSW
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Where did you buy them from?

    Thanking you in advance.

    Andy
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,378

    Default

    No more pas hastles for me.
    Manual rack now returned to car.

    Once I get a feel for the new set up and get it sorted It would be good to try those springy things.

    Jo

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts cav91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sunbury, VIC
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    Does your fuego have red number plates and black bum Jo?

    Via the aussiefrogs App
    406 D8 V6 manual

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    Does your fuego have red number plates and black bum Jo?

    Via the aussiefrogs App
    Ummm. Yes maybe...why...what have I done now????


    Jo

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts cav91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sunbury, VIC
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    new I recognized it! Probably saw pics of it on here! I was in Sydney for the last week and I saw you traveling past on my way back from palm beach! I still remember the number plate but thought I wouldn't put that up!

    You didn't happen to notice the 406 you saw when you came to get the rx4? I no it doesn't stand out as much as a fuego!

    Via the aussiefrogs App
    406 D8 V6 manual

  10. #10
    COL
    COL is offline
    A110 COL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Van Diemen's Land
    Posts
    3,960

    Default

    Mistareno

    What are the dimensions of your Jounce Bumpers?
    Regards Col

    1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

    http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

  11. #11
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Mistareno

    What are the dimensions of your Jounce Bumpers?
    They'd be about 6 inches. I'll measure the unmodified ones when I get home.

  12. #12
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    The ones I have fitted to the Front of the Fuego are 125mm long.

    They are a good fit on a Fuego front shock shaft and can probably stretch to accommodate a slightly wider shaft but I wouldn't think they would fit a shaft much under 15mm without something to hold it in place.

    They look exactly as the ones in the picture albeit a slightly different shade of yellow.

  13. #13
    COL
    COL is offline
    A110 COL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Van Diemen's Land
    Posts
    3,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    The ones I have fitted to the Front of the Fuego are 125mm long.

    They are a good fit on a Fuego front shock shaft and can probably stretch to accommodate a slightly wider shaft but I wouldn't think they would fit a shaft much under 15mm without something to hold it in place.

    They look exactly as the ones in the picture albeit a slightly different shade of yellow.
    Mistareno

    Thanks for those measurements.

    What is the outside diameter of yours?

    I was thinking about using them in the rear of my R12.
    Regards Col

    1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

    http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

  14. #14
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Mistareno

    Thanks for those measurements.

    What is the outside diameter of yours?

    I was thinking about using them in the rear of my R12.
    I'm actually about to brave the cold and throw a set in the back of the Fuego so I'll let you know how they fit.

    I imagine the shaft diameter will be the same as a 12 so I'll measure it up with some verniers while I'm under there and let you know if they are ok.

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    new I recognized it! Probably saw pics of it on here! I was in Sydney for the last week and I saw you traveling past on my way back from palm beach! I still remember the number plate but thought I wouldn't put that up!

    You didn't happen to notice the 406 you saw when you came to get the rx4? I no it doesn't stand out as much as a fuego!

    Via the aussiefrogs App
    You mean to tell me you came all the way up here and drove past my place and didn't bring any parts with you???

    Grrrrrrr
    next time let me know and i'll chip in some for the freight for some rx4 bits

  16. #16
    COL
    COL is offline
    A110 COL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Van Diemen's Land
    Posts
    3,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    I'm actually about to brave the cold and throw a set in the back of the Fuego so I'll let you know how they fit.

    I imagine the shaft diameter will be the same as a 12 so I'll measure it up with some verniers while I'm under there and let you know if they are ok.
    Hi Mistareno

    How did you go with these in the back of the Fuego??
    Regards Col

    1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

    http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

  17. #17
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    Bump! (Or is it jounce!?)

    Standard R25 struts are allegedly 14mm shaft diameter; were yours larger?

    When you say poly bushes to the strut, do you mean the cross mount at the bottom, or the opposing bush pair at the top?

  18. #18
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Bump! (Or is it jounce!?)

    Standard R25 struts are allegedly 14mm shaft diameter; were yours larger?

    When you say poly bushes to the strut, do you mean the cross mount at the bottom, or the opposing bush pair at the top?
    I replaced the top bushes with nolathane ones. I thought that as the bump stops would be acting as a supplemental spring, more load would be transferred through the bushes. I though it would cause premature wear if shaft of the damper moved up and down too much. The Nolathane bushes are alot stiffer but NVH seems unaffected.

  19. #19
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    Were they just a generic set, or a specific listing for some vehicle?

    I'm full of questions tonight.

  20. #20
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Were they just a generic set, or a specific listing for some vehicle?

    I'm full of questions tonight.
    I think they were a generic set. IIRC they were possibly sway bar drop link bushes.

  21. #21
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    This looks pretty close to the butées élastiques you described modifying.

    Butée élastique, suspension FEBI BILSTEIN 01525 pas cher - Direction / Suspension / Train : Butées - Butée élastique, suspension 01525

    It means there's a couple of OEM/VAG part numbers to work from. At first I thought you had bought a specific H&R product.

  22. #22
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    This looks pretty close to the butées élastiques you described modifying.

    Butée élastique, suspension FEBI BILSTEIN 01525 pas cher - Direction / Suspension / Train : Butées - Butée élastique, suspension 01525

    It means there's a couple of OEM/VAG part numbers to work from. At first I thought you had bought a specific H&R product.
    Oh. sorry. I thought you meant the bushes. Yeah the Bump stops were from a VW. I'll see if I can find the part number.

  23. #23
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    I have come to understand, you fitted something like R25 springs to go with the R25 front shocks. I'd love to know the specs.

  24. #24
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    On my old Fuego I had R25 dampers with custom springs. Those springs were 325 lb/in iirc.

    On the current one it has Fuego springs and dampers with the progressive bump stops.
    addo likes this.

  25. #25
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Oh, also worth noting that the springs were only captive by 1-2cm or so.

    I don't have the exact free length, but if you fitted the damper and measured from spring seat to spring seat and then added 10mm you'd be in the right ball park.

    You could fit them without a compressor.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •