Renault 6.
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Renault 6.

1000+ Posts

Default Renault 6.

I have not seen the above vehicle discussed on Aussiefrogs.
    Was it ever imported into Australia, and, if so, does it have another name out here??

I drove one around Sthn England for a few years in the early 70s, and HATED the bloody thing.Gutless,unstable, cramped (I'm 6'1'' and was about 140kg then).
    I rolled one, had a besser block dairy wall pushed over onto it's replacement,and, when my bloody boss got the thing repaired, I managed to snap the "walking stick" gear change off when in "Angel gear" in the outside lane of a dual carriageway!!!
    The only redeeming features to my way of thinking were its groung clearance and a fairly large storage space for my drugs and equipment.

Advertisement

Yeah, there are a few over here, known as Renault 6. They weren't sold here officially so would all be private imports.

We had one for years that, in contrast to your experiences, was a much loved runabout for the Missus.

I obtained it as a wreck having been sandwiched in a three car coming together. A bit of judicious stretching involving ratchet haulers and gum trees followed by a couple of spray cans resulted in it being quite straight and presentable and we enjoyed it for a number of years.

Always looked on it as being a baby 16 rather than a grown up 4. (Had both of those at times). Mrs P loved the gearchange (for hanging the handbag on, a habit she got into driving the R4 for years) as well as the tubular rear bumper on which a shopping trolley could be expertly snagged to avoid uncontrolled escape.

Sold it to a Mate whose younger son eventually introduced it to a small tree in a terminal way (for the car, fortunately not for him or his passengers) and the bits lived on in an R4 van that was a parts truck for a local service workshop before being sold on to a collector who keeps all his interesting vehicles in a paddock so he can listen to them rusting! (Hey Paul, aren't you glad I restrained you from fratricide that night?)

I know of one other R6 that lives up in the hills in Melbourne, but I daresay there's a few more lurking out there. It's a wide brown land!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

1000+ Posts

Merci, m'seur Potts.
    Cannot agree, but I did more than "run about" in the evil lump of metal.I spent more time in it than I did at home!

The R4 was the vehicle of choice of all the gamekeepers and water bailiffs that I ever met, and, boy-oh-boy, didn't they put them in some strange places.

If you find one, and need Renault 6 panels, I've got three doors (LHR, RHR and a LHF with a dodgy top hinge, all with glass) as well as front bonnet and rear hatch and glass. They were stored to be picked up in six months time (going on eight years ago), then an attempt was made but I was away at the time. That was long ago now (probably going on six years), and I've actually forgotten whose panels they actually were. So any Renault 6 owners out there, let us know if you want them.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    ...... a fairly large storage space for my drugs ....
    Meant to comment on this earlier. I'm going to assume a benign usage, presumably professionally related. (Working off the username of ex vet) I'm also assuming the drugs were for your patients rather than as compensation for a day spent up to the elbows inside a bovine!

In today's day and age, of course, interpretation could be skewed slightly.

That being said, I always tell people my first job was as a drug courier.

I don't mention I was delivering for the local chemist on my pushbike!

Anyway, it may have been an evil lump of metal, but at least it would have been comfortable to sit in!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    first job was as a drug courier.
    That reminds me of an R4 van that was for sale at Clare back in the late 1980's. It was a mid-'70's R4 van known as the "Drugs Van". It had been confiscated on its import into Australia when drugs were found in a sealed and secreted box section previously used as the toolbox behind the seats in a normal R4 van. Customs then cut further holes in the chassis side rails searching for more secreted drugs, with the roughly cut holes left in place when the van was later sold at a Customs auction.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

The Renault 6 panels have been claimed by their forgotten owner, so are no longer available.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

1000+ Posts

Yep, nothing more sinister than bottles of antibiotic and anti-inflamatory.
    Up to the shoulder in most cases.
    Watch ABC at 8pm tonight to see a few budding vets from the WA Vet School going through their paces.

Thread Information