Renault Fregate.. - Page 6
  • Register
  • Help
Page 6 of 37 First ... 234567891016 ... Last
Like Tree292Likes

Thread: Renault Fregate..

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Congrats for the Fregate and have a happy (n' busy now) new year.

Advertisement
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Looks like a good project car, it'll be fun to watch it progress. Just a thought, note that it would originally have been a 6 volt electrical system, so just make sure that all the components are compatible if it has been partially converted in the past.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I'm still investigating the electrical system but I think it's all 6v (except for one suss relay). As I spend my day sorting, cataloging and photographing I will get a better idea but so far I have found a brand new or reconditioned 6v generator and at least one good 6v starter. So based on my findings so far it seems to be a 6volt system, which I will retain unless someone can offer a good reason not to go this way..?
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 1st January 2014 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    So based on my findings so far it seems to be a 6volt system, which I will retain unless someone can offer a good reason not to go this way..?
    Hotrodelectric would be the best one to suggest the best way to go. For me, I started out with a 6V system back in 1980, it was a disaster, a hotchpotch of molested wiring that ended up being tidied up by me. Then I did work experience at an auto electrician, between rewinding alternators and making up and wrapping looms, Mr Smith had a look at my work, there would have been too many voltage drops, and he suggested using relays to minimise them. The quality of the system depended very much on the original wiring and condition of the loom, if the wiring is old and corroded, there will likely be problems with voltage drop, dim lights etc. I solved my voltage drop problem in 1983 by selling the car, finding another $300, and buying an Avocado Green Renault 12.

Flash forward a few years, my white R4 has a decent enough 6V system, when the brake lights are on, and the headlights are on, the blinkers still operate at a reasonable rate, the loom is mostly good original, the wire insulation still pliable and the lights appear bright enough on the road. Only fuzzy ends where the tail lights connect have been replaced, as well as a thicker lead from the battery to the starter, then from the negative post to earth. The R4 van less so, there are a few more dodgy earths on that one, but as it is currently off the road, it is another item to fix on its list. The old VW is a surprise for me though, picked up in Tasvegas on a cold wet weekend, I questioned my decision that it was a good idea to buy it even more being an original 6V. But all the lights worked, as well as the wipers working briskly, making the return trip to RAdelaide quite enjoyable instead of frustrating. The system on that car has not been molested in any way, the battery having been cosseted on its own mat from new to keep it happy.

So, in a nutshell after my long story, a 6V system can be either Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde, depending on its condition and past care. I'm thinking in the case of the Fregate, a new loom may be a prudent choice.
    Last edited by Simon; 1st January 2014 at 03:17 PM.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

The loom seems to be in tact and of course it's cotton braided. I was planning to remove the loom, stake it out on the ground so I can cut off the braiding and inspect, repair or replace any dodgie wires, from there I will fit new connectors throughout and then wrap the whole loom with silicone tape or similar (I'm open to any suggestions with that).

That said, I would prefer a 12 volt system but I don't know if I could get a 12v starter to suit the Fregate (onybody..).

I guess it depends on whether it's going to be an occasional use shed dweller or a regular use cruiser. If it's going to get plenty of use, I'd go the 12V path. It opens you up for superior lighting, charging system, battery and then feel free to add other options like A/C, sound system if you like etc etc
    cheers,

John

Default Renault Fregate..

People that convert VW sometimes leave the starter as is. Very fast cranking! You can also use an inline resistor for wiper motor ...
    cheers,

John

Also might be worth having a look at something like a Peugeot 403/404, early Citroen D (Paris Rhone or Ducellier, depending on what you have) starter motor to see if they have compatible 12V parts that will bolt to the Fregate mounting, and if the Fregate bendix suits the 12V armature. Same with something like the wiper motor, which may interface with R10 etc.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Also might be worth having a look at something like a Peugeot 403/404, early Citroen D (Paris Rhone or Ducellier, depending on what you have) starter motor to see if they have compatible 12V parts that will bolt to the Fregate mounting, and if the Fregate bendix suits the 12V armature. Same with something like the wiper motor, which may interface with R10 etc.
    I wonder if I can still use the 6volt starter and use a step down transformer just to run the starter, all else can be 12volt..?

Default Geniveve...

Can anyone help identify the two greens shown here, presumably they be Renault colors..? I'm close to making a decision re. the fate of 'Geniveve'.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Fregate..-82359065_o.jpg   Renault Fregate..-82359074_o.jpg  

I have no idea Graham, but the bottom green colour looks a little like an R10 colour Tannen Green from a couple of decades later. The other R8/10 colour was Le Mans green from memory. Perhaps they may be close. I think there was a pic of an R10S in Tannen Green on the 10S stripe thread recently.

Simon - you obviously didn't follow the auto electrician path then?

KB
    KB

I was thinking the dark green was a 4CV colour, but sorry MG, no idea what it's called - Simon ??

Renault Fregate..-afcd13.jpg
    cheers,

John

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I just messaged my spray painter mate and asked if he could list all Renault colours from 50's onwards off his paint code program. I'll find out Monday if he can and it perhaps even lists name and years.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Thanks guys, let me know how you get on with yer mate John.

I could always give it a bit of Australiana and do deep Brunswick green and half strength for the lighter color.....

Another request..would anyone have photos or brochures showing the dash board details in a 1956 Fregate...?

1000+ Posts

Graham when are you going to pick up the Fregate documents I haven't packed yet?

Early next week when I get the bit for Peter, say tuesday..? I have to find a dog sitter, can't take her with me.

I could always give it a bit of Australiana and do deep Brunswick green and half strength for the lighter color.....
    Does your car have the Grand Pavlova trim for the back doors? Just thinking the Grand Pavlova type paint scheme doesn't really work on that Affaires (cheap model) Fregate. Without the chrome trim to separate the colours it looks a bit odd to me. Also that scheme I don't really think complements the curves of the Fregate, it was done more to update the then aging voluptuous style in the late 1950's.

I'd be thinking keep it simpler with the bottom half the dark colour, with the roof (to the trim at the base of the C-pillar and rear window) the lighter colour.

As for the colours, I'm not really up with the colours for the French production ones. Just a thought, to identify if your car if French or local assembly, have a look on the inner RH wheel arch under the bonnet around the oval and diamond plates. Hopefully it will be the original paint, see if it has a stencilled F - for Flins, France, production, a dot or two, and a stencilled paint code.

For colours, either visit the Glasurit website that has a colour formula selector for some older cars, or visit a Glasurit paint supplier. They should be able to show you what period colours are available and make up something to a standard formula which (and hoping it is never necessary!!) will make future refinishing easier.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

VIP Sponsor

Transformers don't work on DC.

I wonder if I can still use the 6volt starter and use a step down transformer just to run the starter, all else can be 12volt..?

No sign of any stencil or dots though I may find it when I have a cleanup in the engine bay, someone has been splashing a bit of stove black around by the looks. I just have a diamond plate and the oval plate R1101.

I don't have the extra Grand Pavlova body moulds but I have stacks of straight trim that I could easily manipulate into shape to cover the paint line, and you may be right about the two tone being OTT but I'm looking for an option that will work. Do you know if the Grand Pavlova had the same oval plate number as mine R1101?

How about this color scheme...?

It looks a little more modern and elegant without the bumper over riders, co-incidentely, amongst my new stash is a pair of mint, re-chromed bumpers the same style as this car below.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Fregate..-60032874.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 3rd January 2014 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Transformers don't work on DC.
    Thanks Graham, I didn't think of that.

For the viewers at home this is the Grand Pavois trim..bling city.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Fregate..-grand-pavois-trim.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Another request..would anyone have photos or brochures showing the dash board details in a 1956 Fregate...?
    I just discovered I haven't packed my 1957 drivers glove box manual yet. Also still have 1957 brochure. We can compare the pictures in them to my photo's of your car.
    Last edited by Sunroof; 3rd January 2014 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I just discovered I haven't packed my 1957 drivers glove box manual yet. Also still have 1957 brochure. We can compare the pictures in them to my photo's of your car.
    Ok thanks Rob, see you soon.

Look what I found in my stash.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Fregate..-img_6594.jpg  

Page 6 of 37 First ... 234567891016 ... Last

Thread Information