Renault Fregate.. - Page 5
  • Register
  • Help
Page 5 of 32 First 12345678915 ... Last
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Renault Fregate..

1000+ Posts

Not really offended. Takes more than that. Just bought back some old memories.

Advertisement

OK Graham back to your Fregate search.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Hey easy on Vauxhalls they were not a bad cars. Won the Armstrong 500 (miles pre Bathurst ). Much better GM car than the Holden. Rallyed one for a few years. They were very low for cars of that time and I knocked the exhaust off a few times, and had to drive past and park behind the police station for work on Monday morning. Also had to strengthen the front cross member as it was worn down on the gravel that built up in the centre of the road. Had very hot motor and floor shift in place of the column 3 speeder. Took it on our honeymoon and the carbon brush in the distributor disintegrated in the mountains near Walhala in the Victorian alps when the road was a track and Walhala a ghost town. I used some silver paper from a chocolate bar as a temporary repair. Eventually took it in as a trade on a Falcon ute, by then the motor was stuffed took me ages to get it started and parked it in a steep gutter out front. Guess they had to tow it in that night. Sorry not a Fregate story.
    I could just about agree comparing an early to mid-60s Velox or Cresta I guess. By Viva times, I think we'd agree that particular party was over. I'll never forget a Viva owner in about 1974 once asking very humbly if he could just sit in the R8. He almost tugged his forelock - very respectful!

There's an Amphicar in Perth too. Perhaps even a Fregate or two, just to keep to topic, but I've never seen one here on the road.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Very sad case......

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Not really offended. Takes more than that. Just bought back some old memories.

OK Graham back to your Fregate search.
    Indeed the search continues for some suitable O'l Reno to 'do a job' on. Something will come along soon I'm sure.

What if you were to start restoring those Dauphine panels & doors in anticipation of getting a Dauphine, then you'll have a head start and just need to do the shell and mechanicals etc. ? You know - like change over units
    cheers,

John

I already have a whole roll out of R10 running gear cleaned, painted and a 1289cc motor, 330 gearbox etc. ready for installation into something or other. But believe me I have plenty of tinkerage to do until I find a suitable project car. The relentless search continues...

With a more modern, fuel efficient and powerful motor I reckon this would make a damned good highway tourer..might need air conditioning as well to make it comfortable.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Fregate..-decapotible.jpg   Renault Fregate..-52194_1.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 28th December 2013 at 11:45 PM.

I reckon this'll be you in the Fregate MG

http://video.carsguide.com.au/238692...XR8-Magnet-ute
    cheers,

John

Graham - How about a Coupe like this one by Louis Rosier, based on the Fregate mechanicals.

He also made some nice looking specials based on the 4CV.

Renault Fregate..-rosier-1956.jpgRenault Fregate..-motto_renault_fregate_01.jpg

Bob G

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    With a more modern, fuel efficient and powerful motor I reckon this would make a damned good highway tourer..might need air conditioning as well to make it comfortable.
    Why not just supercharge the Fregate motor, with a bit of porting and polishing and appropriate efi etc.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Very sad case......

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Why not just supercharge the Fregate motor, with a bit of porting and polishing and appropriate efi etc.
    Are they a 5 main bearing crank John?
    cheers,

John

Unfortunately they are only 3 bearing, But they are an 88mm bore and 88mm stroke, which makes it a 'square stroker'..there is plenty of info out there re square strokes.

Edit: This pretty much explains the 'square stroke' engine principal, given the weight of a Fregate at 1230kg a square stroker is probably desirable. http://gearsplitter.wordpress.com/20...onsiderations/
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 29th December 2013 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB750 View Post
    Graham - How about a Coupe like this one by Louis Rosier, based on the Fregate mechanicals.

He also made some nice looking specials based on the 4CV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rosier 1956.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	51223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Motto_Renault_Fregate_01.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	51224

Bob G
    I like the way you think Bob and I have seen these cars before,however that may exceed my coachbuilding skill by about 1000%.

But that said, all options will be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Those are the options I am considering JW. They do use these Fregate motors in race cars and I just have to track one down and see how it's done..here's a Queensland one to start with.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Fregate..-speedcar.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 29th December 2013 at 09:37 PM.

That'll need more that motorbike guards on the wheels to pass for a modified Fregate !!!

Is that the number Blair Shepherd used to race with?

Bob G

Quote Originally Posted by BOB750 View Post
    That'll need more that motorbike guards on the wheels to pass for a modified Fregate !!!

Is that the number Blair Shepherd used to race with?

Bob G
    I don't really know anything about it yet but Sunroof knows more.

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Are they a 5 main bearing crank John?
    No but lots of three bearing cranks handled supercharging if it was within their limits. I think there were even supercharged Austin 7s, and they had but two bearings.

Properly balanced and other things might be OK. Doesn't need to be a fire-breathing monster. But then again.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Very sad case......

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I don't really know anything about it yet but Sunroof knows more.
    Sorry Graham you now know as much as I do re speed cars with Fregate motors other than the historic speed car club often display their cars at various events and swaps and therefore they are probably contactable and will know who has the car shown.

Hmmm, I'm thinking ivory paint and deep red trim, transfluide tail lights and wire wheels..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Fregate..-composite.jpg   Renault Fregate..-fregate-cabriolet-w.jpg   Renault Fregate..-renault%2520fregate%25201959.jpg   Renault Fregate..-big-dscf0597.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 31st December 2013 at 08:43 AM.

You can't go wrong with that colour combo and the guy in the bottom photo likes it too
    cheers,

John

I think a two tone would accentuate the shape better.
    What is it with the red trim MG?
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I think a two tone would accentuate the shape better.
    What is it with the red trim MG?
    HNY KB,

I am open to any suggestions you may have, please provide pictures of your preferred color combo for consideration..

1000+ Posts

A Fregate sedan looks great in Yellow and Black but how that would work on a convertible I'm not sure.

Default Geniveve...

Hmmmm! So I'm the proud owner of a 1956 Renault Fregate Amiral. She's not much to look at presently but the parts all seem to be there (save for a few minor ornamental bits) and plenty of spares.

I found her in a commercial yard at Hattonvale, about 45mins west of Brisbane, looking sad and disheveled, an ugly duckling for sure. Despite her unloved appearance she is quite a solid car with little serious rust . She came with a full set of spare doors and guards.

My first intention was/is to chop her up and make a decapotable out of her, as shown in posts above. but after spending new Years eve alone with her I'm having second thoughts about such drastic modifications. I sat in the drivers seat, then passenger seat, I examined her underparts and poured over the engine bay only to find she seems to be saying "don't chop me up, just put me back together again".

Renault Fregate..-img_6563.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6566.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6567.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6568.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6569.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6570.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6571.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6572.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6573.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6574.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6575.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6576.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6577.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6578.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6579.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6580.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6581.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6582.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6583.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6584.jpgRenault Fregate..-img_6585.jpg
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 1st January 2014 at 09:31 AM.
    J-man and FIVEDOOR like this.

Wow! It really does appear solid doesn't it. I get your feeling about taking to it with a grinder. I'm sure you could still make it look magnificent in its original body shape though Great score MG, an exciting new thread to look forward to for us fellow froggers! Pity they didn't throw in the Massey Ferguson; they're cool done up! Congratulations MG
    cheers,

John

Well done! You've quite a severe infection over there.

Perhaps "Geneviève" since she's so clearly chic French. Pronounce with the emphasis on "è". I work with two from Quebec with this name and it is charming.

You know my views - she looks lovely as she is.... Plenty of room for a supercharger, too.

The father of a bloke I went to school with drove a green one in Adelaide back in the 1960s-70s.

Happy New Year indeed.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Very sad case......

Page 5 of 32 First 12345678915 ... Last

Thread Information