Renault Fregate.. - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 32 First 1234567814 ... Last
Results 76 to 100 of 787
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Renault Fregate..

  1. #76
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    20,651

    Default

    I wonder if those tail lights/fins were standard or an option? Haven't seen them before ...

    Advertisement
    cheers,

    John

  2. #77
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    I wonder if those tail lights/fins were standard or an option? Haven't seen them before ...
    Standard on late model automatics.

  3. #78
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    30,330

    Default

    Gawd, more tail light fins..

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Fregate..-dhh0ujzk.jpg  

  4. #79
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Those cars are really beautiful. Well to my eyes. $50 mill next week how long before I find one to buy and can get it back to Australia?

  5. #80
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    30,330

    Default

    Mate, with your shed and collection of body shells plus spares you could build one..

  6. #81
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Don't think so. I'm definitely not in your league. Anyhow my Fregate is original and perhaps in bits but they are all there. Now if the rusty parts car wasn't so rusty perhaps.

  7. #82
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    30,330

    Default

    Hmmm! These cars sure do have some graceful curves...

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Fregate..-imagescaxsg23o.jpg   Renault Fregate..-std_1951_renault_fregate_brochure-1.jpg   Renault Fregate..-std_1951_renault_fregate_brochure-2.jpg  

  8. #83
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    30,330

    Default

    Are all these dash knobs the same size Sunroof..?

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Fregate..-fregate-1953-tableau-de-bord-web.jpg  

  9. #84
    1000+ Posts FIVEDOOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Qld
    Posts
    16,687

    Default

    Lol
    ..
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

  10. #85
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    20,651

    Default

    I love the dash, I think I need a Fregate too now. Damn, I thought I just needed to get a 4CV and a Dauphine
    cheers,

    John

  11. #86
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    30,330

    Default

    Yer best get in quick because they are pretty scarse...

  12. #87
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Yes just slightly larger than the one I showed you yesterday. It seems to have shrunk a little bit. But as you can see there are quite a few. The white one seen through the steering wheel looks like a ring in. It is possibly the pull type starter knob and the original has broken off.

  13. #88
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    30,330

    Default

    I'll make you a set after Christmas.

  14. #89
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    20,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Yer best get in quick because they are pretty scarse...
    Not sure I could be trusted to do the right thing with an 'ol Fregate. I'm thinking stock standard body and interior but low with white widies and white walls, and something a little more evil under the bonnet, but quiet exhaust to keep it a full sleeper. Maybe a silky smooth and quiet VL Commodore/Nissan 3.0L Turbo with limited slip diff. I think that might land me in the pond with Sunroof and Simon holding my head under till I come to my senses though
    cheers,

    John

  15. #90
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    20,651

    Default

    Hmmm, Mafia Fregate

    cheers,

    John

  16. #91
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    I think that might land me in the pond with Sunroof and Simon holding my head under till I come to my senses though
    Haha! as long as it isn't some nice tidy original spec car (that doesn't look like it needs work in the pics) go your hardest! :-)

    A Fregate really lends itself to being slammed and restomodded, though I'd use a Nissan V6 and try to retain the flat floor and RH column gearshift. So for those projects it is much better starting with something solid that has been painted with a mop and with friable sunburnt trim rather than spoiling something that is already neat and well maintained, in effect saving a car that would likely have been crushed. You can rebuild any car numerous times, but they are only original once. And it is always nice to see original survivor cars that have been lovingly maintained since the day they left the factory many years before. As well it is always great to see the results of a well executed and engineered modification.
    Sunroof likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  17. #92
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    20,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Haha! as long as it isn't some nice tidy original spec car (that doesn't look like it needs work in the pics) go your hardest! :-)

    A Fregate really lends itself to being slammed and restomodded, though I'd use a Nissan V6 and try to retain the flat floor and RH column gearshift. So for those projects it is much better starting with something solid that has been painted with a mop and with friable sunburnt trim rather than spoiling something that is already neat and well maintained, in effect saving a car that would likely have been crushed. You can rebuild any car numerous times, but they are only original once. And it is always nice to see original survivor cars that have been lovingly maintained since the day they left the factory many years before. As well it is always great to see the results of a well executed and engineered modification.
    Spot on Simon! I'd never kill a good survivor either; couldn't do it. But I agree, if a car is in need of everything and especially if it is far from complete, I reckon it's open slather. I thought the Nissan straight six based on the narrow look of the engine bay. I think either option would require serious work. I agree it would have to stay column shift too; it adds to the sleeper effect
    cheers,

    John

  18. #93
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Hmmm, Mafia Fregate

    I really like that. But like Simon said a nice original car should be kept original. But a bit of a rusty wreck can be modified however much you want. And I have done that myself. But as has been said many times before, if you own it you can do what you damn well please with it.

  19. #94
    Member mmnarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    104

    Default

    The one on the highway near Gatton disappeared for a while bit is now back in the same yard (next to a car yard...they sell little tractors and such.....it was under a shade shed but mow is out in the open....been there for...maybe two years

  20. #95
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    30,330

    Default

    A Chapron I think..

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Fregate..-beauty.jpg   Renault Fregate..-beauty-2.jpg  

  21. #96
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    20,651

    Default

    Vaguely reminds me of a Velox. Much better of course than a crummy Vauxhall

    Renault Fregate..-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1388057390.797948.jpg
    cheers,

    John

  22. #97
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    30,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Vaguely reminds me of a Velox. Much better of course than a crummy Vauxhall

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1388057390.797948.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	51145

    It looks like someone's fixin to push her over a cliff...

  23. #98
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    20,651

    Default

    Well it kind of looks like one of those amphibian cars ...

    Renault Fregate..-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1388061349.028931.jpg
    Renault Fregate..-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1388061365.226730.jpg
    cheers,

    John

  24. #99
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Vaguely reminds me of a Velox. Much better of course than a crummy Vauxhall

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1388057390.797948.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	51145
    Hey easy on Vauxhalls they were not a bad cars. Won the Armstrong 500 (miles pre Bathurst ). Much better GM car than the Holden. Rallyed one for a few years. They were very low for cars of that time and I knocked the exhaust off a few times, and had to drive past and park behind the police station for work on Monday morning. Also had to strengthen the front cross member as it was worn down on the gravel that built up in the centre of the road. Had very hot motor and floor shift in place of the column 3 speeder. Took it on our honeymoon and the carbon brush in the distributor disintegrated in the mountains near Walhala in the Victorian alps when the road was a track and Walhala a ghost town. I used some silver paper from a chocolate bar as a temporary repair. Eventually took it in as a trade on a Falcon ute, by then the motor was stuffed took me ages to get it started and parked it in a steep gutter out front. Guess they had to tow it in that night. Sorry not a Fregate story.

  25. #100
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    20,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Hey easy on Vauxhalls they were not a bad cars. Won the Armstrong 500 (miles pre Bathurst ). Much better GM car than the Holden. Rallyed one for a few years. They were very low for cars of that time and I knocked the exhaust off a few times, and had to drive past and park behind the police station for work on Monday morning. Also had to strengthen the front cross member as it was worn down on the gravel that built up in the centre of the road. Had very hot motor and floor shift in place of the column 3 speeder. Took it on our honeymoon and the carbon brush in the distributor disintegrated in the mountains near Walhala in the Victorian alps when the road was a track and Walhala a ghost town. I used some silver paper from a chocolate bar as a temporary repair. Eventually took it in as a trade on a Falcon ute, by then the motor was stuffed took me ages to get it started and parked it in a steep gutter out front. Guess they had to tow it in that night. Sorry not a Fregate story.
    Sorry Sunroof, I wondered after if I'd offend someone with that low blow at Vauhall . They appeared reasonably stylish for their age but they didn't seem that popular when I was growing up. I've never actually worked on one or even driven one so I'll retract my unfounded Velox bashing . I did have a Vauhaul Viva years ago that I did up to sell. Immaculate when I finished with it. Basically an HB Torana. Sorry, not Fregate story either
    cheers,

    John

Page 4 of 32 First 1234567814 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •