Megane Sport Location of the engine number
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Megane Sport Location of the engine number

Could someone tell me where I can find the engine number on my 2006 Megane sport. There is a number on the block near the dip stick entry point but it bears no relation to the number on the rego papers!

Thanks in anticipation.

Advertisement

I had this issue at Vicroads registering a Megane from Queensland... Once we found the bloody number and were finally able to see the fecker with a mirror and a torch, it too bore little resemablance to that on the Qld roads people's records. Thats the only place the number in etched on the block.

Its that dot matrix style etching - bloody hard to read when you can see it easily and it seems the original records rely on someone at the dealers reading it correctly when they're first registered.

In my case, the Vicroads guy gave up and simply repeated what was on the Qld records. He was happy with a confirmed VIN number, engines they're more relaxed about.

Tadpole

Thanks Haakon. I hope they adopt the same approach in WA. I feel I have arrived from overseas rather than the eastern states. I found one set of numbers but they are on the side of the head.

WA is a different country!

A friend had a hassle getting her Fuego registered over there, needed an immobiliser fitted!!! Who the hell is going to nick a Fuego...

I bought a car from WA that had been driven to sydney.
    Prompltly recieved a stamp duty bill and a letter demanding my proof of age and proof of imobiliser fittment.
    As the tone of the conversation with them went downhill fast, told them quite literally to shove it up their ass before hanging up the phone.

When we did a blue slip inspection, turns out the numptys from WA had recorded the VIN on the paper work as UFxxxxxxxxx so I figured if it ever came to it, there was no car that I've ever owned starting with UF.
    All mine have been VFxxxxxxxx

Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 15th July 2013 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I bought a car from WA that had been driven to sydney.
    Prompltly recieved a stamp duty bill and a letter demanding my proof of age and proof of imobiliser fittment.
    As the tone of the conversation with them went downhill fast, told them quite literally to shove it up their ass before hanging up the phone.

Jo
    Curiously, I can imagine you doing just that...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Tadpole

I just came across this thread. Did you find the number?
    If not the VIN number is hidden on the top of the cam [down a couple of inches] gear cover, printed on a paper label, you will need a mirror.

Thread Information