You wouldn't believe what I found at the tip today...
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 27of85

Thread: You wouldn't believe what I found at the tip today...

Tadpole

Default You wouldn't believe what I found at the tip today...

Today was a sunny day in Melbourne and I went to the tip to dump my green waste. I happened to glance in the metal recycle bin as I drove past, and to my horror, I spotted a large amount of perfectly good Renault parts thrown casually in the bin. Leaving aside the fact that the parts contained a large amount of glass, consisting of what appeared to be perfectly serviceable rear windows which should not be dumped in the metal recycle bins, how could someone be so callous to just toss these parts away without checking on Aussiefrogs first?

I then spotted some Renault seats and other trim material dumped in the general waste area, shortly to be crushed into oblivion by the enormous caterpillar bulldozer. A total waste to be sure.

I have attached photographs of the parts, partly as a monument to honour the senseless destruction and partly to hopefully shame the responsible party or parties to change their behaviour in the future.

Is this indicative of enthusiasts not wanting classic Renaults any more? Is this what happens to perfectly good classic cars and/or parts?

Advertisement

Personally I feel that a Renault 12 or similar is a far more worthy classic Renault than the over-engineered soulless Megane or modern Renaults.

You wouldn't believe what I found at the tip today...-dsc_0183.jpgYou wouldn't believe what I found at the tip today...-dsc_0182.jpg

1000+ Posts

OH OH From an R15 and an R17. OH OH

COL

Where are these parts now??
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Gee, it's not everyday you see panels from a WRC round winning car at the tip! Probably just a reflection of the values of the car, though it wouldn't be the first time a 15/17 has been scrapped from lack of interest. Hopefully their day will come soon.

Looks like there was a light switch amongst the wiring loom box too, and that velour 17 seat looks nice and original. Missed opportunity for me for furniture.....
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stoner View Post
    Today was a sunny day in Melbourne and I went to the tip to dump my green waste. I happened to glance in the metal recycle bin as I drove past, and to my horror, I spotted a large amount of perfectly good Renault parts thrown casually in the bin. Leaving aside the fact that the parts contained a large amount of glass, consisting of what appeared to be perfectly serviceable rear windows which should not be dumped in the metal recycle bins, how could someone be so callous to just toss these parts away without checking on Aussiefrogs first?

I then spotted some Renault seats and other trim material dumped in the general waste area, shortly to be crushed into oblivion by the enormous caterpillar bulldozer. A total waste to be sure.

I have attached photographs of the parts, partly as a monument to honour the senseless destruction and partly to hopefully shame the responsible party or parties to change their behaviour in the future.

Is this indicative of enthusiasts not wanting classic Renaults any more? Is this what happens to perfectly good classic cars and/or parts?

Personally I feel that a Renault 12 or similar is a far more worthy classic Renault than the over-engineered soulless Megane or modern Renaults.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0183.jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	45710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0182.jpg 
Views:	616 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	45711

Please don't look in our bin, it contains similar content but much larger quantities.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Icon8

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Please don't look in our bin, it contains similar content but much larger quantities.
    Totally agreed about scrapping "classic" car parts.

From my experience nobody wants parts until they actually need them.

Try to give away parts at next to no value or even on a takeaway for free basis and nobody even bothers to collect them.

So, what is the option, toss them out, then there is outcry !

Same as you wrecking a car with minor problems David

To put my parts where my mouth is:

404 late model (69 plus) parts about to tossed out:

3 x 1600 long motors , one thought to good, one in state of dis-assembly, one stuffed

Complete front end - struts, steering box, control arms etc.

Diff complete backing plate to backing plate

BA7-4 404 gearboxes, a couple of them.

Could be a a few more bits, haven't bothered to search them out

Let's see who wants them??? PM is best for me need them gone within a week.

Taker to collect from Caulfield and load themselves (ie bring two people)

Cost -zero, zilch nothing

Destined for scrap and metal recyling if not collected within 10 days

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I dunno even you wouldn't throw out a rust free 17 bonnet! (assuming that one is rust free)
    406 D8 V6 manual

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    I dunno even you wouldn't throw out a rust free 17 bonnet! (assuming that one is rust free)
    Can't even give the panels, doors & guards away.

1000+ Posts

If anyone out there is contemplating throwing out a type 329 transaxle from the Renault Estafette that has been rotting in their paddock for decades (you know who you are, you dumping-inclined scum!) please PM me first and I'll heave you a few quid for it.

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Totally agreed about scrapping "classic" car parts.

From my experience nobody wants parts until they actually need them.

Try to give away parts at next to no value or even on a takeaway for free basis and nobody even bothers to collect them.

So, what is the option, toss them out, then there is outcry !

Same as you wrecking a car with minor problems David

To put my parts where my mouth is:

404 late model (69 plus) parts about to tossed out:

3 x 1600 long motors , one thought to good, one in state of dis-assembly, one stuffed

Complete front end - struts, steering box, control arms etc.

Diff complete backing plate to backing plate

BA7-4 404 gearboxes, a couple of them.

Could be a a few more bits, haven't bothered to search them out

Let's see who wants them??? PM is best for me need them gone within a week.

Taker to collect from Caulfield and load themselves (ie bring two people)

Cost -zero, zilch nothing

Destined for scrap and metal recyling if not collected within 10 days

That's why I don't advertise individual parts (unless it's something special).
    You could stick, say a 306 headlight on ebay and you wont get any interest in it unless your lucky enough to find someone who has broken theres that same day. If not it'll end up at the tip.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

VIP Sponsor

I've thrown away a large amount of stuff in the past two weeks as I have been moving out of the property where these parts were stored. I have saved a lot of the 203/403 parts but some of these will have to go soon, I really don't want to store a load of dirty parts just to help out someone who may need them in the future.
    For instance I have way too many cylinder heads so if anyone wants one they are free.
    Graham

1000+ Posts

If anyone is about to throw out Bosch D-jetronic Injection parts I will happily take them for my R17TS and Gordini. As many of these cars now have Webers then a number of bits must be either in sheds, or, as I suspect, they have already been chucked.

I've got several R10 panels, doors, windscreens and 1108cc engines to give away in Adelaide. Pm me if interested.

Cheers

Anthony

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Current Frogs:

1964 Renault 8 (1289 / Sonics)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

Fellow Frogger!

It's not the storage of the parts that is my concern but the transport costs to get them around the the country to those who need them we need an A/F freight system set up so we can get things from all over the place at a reasonable cost as most froggers aren't millionairs.

Quote Originally Posted by R10S FAN View Post
    I've got several R10 panels, doors, windscreens and 1108cc engines to give away in Adelaide. Pm me if interested.

Cheers

Anthony

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Are any of the panels flared guards?

KB
    KB

No sorry KB they were R8 guards that went with the R8 Dad and I just re-homed.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Current Frogs:

1964 Renault 8 (1289 / Sonics)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Kent View Post
    It's not the storage of the parts that is my concern but the transport costs to get them around the the country to those who need them we need an A/F freight system set up so we can get things from all over the place at a reasonable cost as most froggers aren't millionairs.
    I agree Peter. Davids R17 bits are interesting but from Yeovil very difficult.

If any one wants stuff to go south. There is a chance I might have an empty 4x6 box trailer going from Brisbane to Bendigo via Dubbo in November. Don't bank on it just yet but it is probable. Unfortunately it will be loaded coming back or else David I would call in. Rob

1000+ Posts

Icon11 The going, going, "gone" department

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Kent View Post
    Peter
    I think some are afraid to ask for help in that department, from what I have seen on A/F there is always someone willing to assist, its just the logistics and time frames in asking and final delivery.

As has been said, it always a fact that after you get rid of something, somebody will want it. I Will be recycling Fuego metal parts soon and the guy at Kew hasn't had any response to removing his yellow Fuego. I'd love to strip off the good parts before it goes to Fuego heaven, but wives have funny ideas about that!!

Must make time to call at David Cavenagh's need a few small items for the Laguna if the price is right (or dumpster dive among the free parts!!) (again)

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    I did. Can't store stuff forever in the hope that someone wants it. People move houses, have space limitations etc. So sometimes things need to be culled and it is usually the big stuff that goes first.
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

True, I guess the few we have out the back weren't rusty when we put them there!
    406 D8 V6 manual

1000+ Posts

Or worse still you hang on to parts for decades in the hope that either you or somebody else will use them.
    Then you crack it and get rid of them, because no one wants them.Then you can guarantee that either you or somebody
    you know will need them within a week of disposal.
    Berridale likes this.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

been there.tried to give stuff away due to moving house .ended up dumping a full set of r10 panels in very good cond as no one wanted them.could not find a new home for heaps of r8 stuff too.

Called into our panel beater in Melton the other night and he had a huge scrap bin in the back yard, I mean huge. Sitting inside it burried in scrap metal was a complete Fuego.

100% complete but with minor front damage, no one would collect it so out it goes.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Thread Information