Painting the Fuego, but which red?
  • Register
  • Help
    Administrator

Default Painting the Fuego, but which red?

I'm about to buy some paint for the Fuego but I'm tossing up whether to keep the oem red or go to something a bit deeper.

The problem is that I'm not really sure what a Fuego would look like in 'new' factory paint as the paint on the boot floor and in areas not exposed to the elements seem quite dark compared to the rest of the car which is almost orangey red, even when polished and shiny.

Everything will be coming off the exterior I can repaint the door jams so I am contemplating changing the hue of the red a bit.

I quite like the Milano Red on the Honda Accord Euro.

Advertisement

I also don't mind the red on the Citroen DS3.

Anyone seen a deep rich red they like?

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    I'm about to buy some paint for the Fuego but I'm tossing up whether to keep the oem red or go to something a bit deeper.
    ........ the rest of the car which is almost orangey red, even when polished and shiny.
    I had a resprayed red fuego....Yuck....I sold it for about $400 even though the wheels and tyres were worth twice that amount.

Sorry to say it, but I'm fussy with fuego paint colour, and just as I dont like snow white fuego's (where they under weigh the yellow and black) i dont like deep red fuego's either.

Every day I look at two powdery red/orange fuego's and that is the colour I think they should be.

I'd be impressed if you painted it in a non-clear top coat burned orange.

Jo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Painting the Fuego, but which red?-fuego-red.jpg  
    Last edited by jo proffi; 8th July 2013 at 11:48 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I had a resprayed red fuego....Yuck....I sold it for about $400 even though the wheels and tyres were worth twice that amount.

Sorry to say it, but I'm fussy with fuego paint colour, and just as I dont like snow white fuego's (where they under weigh the yellow and black) i dont like deep red fuego's either.

Every day I look at two powdery red/orange fuego's and that is the colour I think they should be.

I'd be impressed if you painted it in a non-clear top coat burned orange.

Jo

I kind of know where you're coming from, but the problem is, I have a feeling that even the oem red will look very different compared to the way the car looks now as if you look under the boot mat you'd swear it was painted in a different colour to the outside.

I've never seen a 'non faded' Red Fuego in the flesh so it's hard to judge. If you google search 'Renault Fuego Red' images there seems to be a million different shades (maybe all in various stages of fade )

Whatever color it is, it will definitely be a solid (so no clear) as I am not confident in getting a consistent finish in a metallic anyway.

I like the Honda red you have picked.
    Whatever you choose will be an improvement on current faded state (not that I have seen your car I'm just imagining)
    As a car dealer once called it to me it's "Dog Dick Red"
    Cheers...Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

I kind of know where you're coming from, but the problem is, I have a feeling that even the oem red will look very different compared to the way the car looks now as if you look under the boot mat you'd swear it was painted in a different colour to the outside.

I've never seen a 'non faded' Red Fuego in the flesh so it's hard to judge. If you google search 'Renault Fuego Red' images there seems to be a million different shades (maybe all in various stages of fade )

Whatever color it is, it will definitely be a solid (so no clear) as I am not confident in getting a consistent finish in a metallic anyway.

What, sick of changing headgaskets your now going to change colours.

David Cole of Coles Car Sales who are the Peugeot dealers of Lismore NSW has a perfect low km red series 1 Fuego. Its the closest thing to a new Fuego I've ever seen, I'm sure he would send you some pictures if you asked.
    Its part of there private stock (not 4 sale) but its so good it impressed me and I'm not usually impressed by Fuegos.
    His R17 painted up as a replica works rally car in its red, white and blue colours is more my cut of tea.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Really deep reds look good on everything IMO You know, any Fuego with modern shiny paint is going to look imcredible compared to any Fuego you have seen for the last decade either way. White sucks bigtime as a colour is white, did 99.95% of fuegos get sold in super bland white or what

I want to see a black one, why don't you paint it black (we'll dub it "the heatstroke special" ). My memory of Fuego A/C was it was always crap anyway

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    White sucks bigtime as a colour is white, did 99.95% of fuegos get sold in super bland white or what

seeya
    Shane L.
    Actually, no fuego got sold in bland white.
    Grab a test piece of white base and compare it to a fuego's white.
    Chalk and cheese.

Jo

I remember when I was a kid watching the paintshop mix the colour for my fathers white DSpecial ... They must have put every colour under the sun in there ... I was sure it wasn't going to be white when it was painted, but it was. Apparently white is quite a hard colour to match as there is so many shades of blandness available. Black is probably the easiest, if it's dark, it's going to match.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I remember when I was a kid watching the paintshop mix the colour for my fathers white DSpecial ... They must have put every colour under the sun in there ... I was sure it wasn't going to be white when it was painted, but it was. Apparently white is quite a hard colour to match as there is so many shades of blandness available. Black is probably the easiest, if it's dark, it's going to match.
    It depends on ambient light.
    If its sunny, you wont notice shades of white because they are all so bright you lose the detail.
    So if you are selling a dodgy painted/colour matched white car, make sure you only show it in full sun. At dusk or on a cloudy day though, the wrong mix will stand out like dogs bollocks.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

My Fuego is red, unfortunately.
    FWIW it appears below. Don't know if this is the std red or what?
    The colour code on the drivers side shock tower is 705 M.
    It also looks orangy red in bright sun along the roof/bonnet.
    However, the side panels are a nice red as good as under the bonnet/boot.
    Am growing to like Maranello red (real Ferrari stuff no povo red) but would accept a nice respray of the original colour.

Painting the Fuego, but which red?-dscn0057.jpgPainting the Fuego, but which red?-dscn0056.jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post
    My Fuego is red, unfortunately.
    FWIW it appears below. Don't know if this is the std red or what?
    The colour code on the drivers side shock tower is 705 M.
    It also looks orangy red in bright sun along the roof/bonnet.
    However, the side panels are a nice red as good as under the bonnet/boot.
    Am growing to like Maranello red (real Ferrari stuff no povo red) but would accept a nice respray of the original colour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0057.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	45673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0056.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	45674
    Yeah, thats pretty much how mine looks if I polish it, but only for a week or so, then it starts to dull off.

I think it will be easier to paint it the original colour and I have a feeling it will be deep enough.

Administrator

Ended up buying the paint today. Went the original red and in the can it is a pretty pure red.

Ended up buying the paint today. Went the original red and in the can it is a pretty pure red.
    What type of paint did you get???

Jo

Your paint was good enough nick just to give a good scuffing to and re-coat wasnt' it If you have grabbed acrylic laquer.... make triply sure none of the paint on your car is enamel .... You really don't want to put laquer thinners near enamel .... I've certainly learnt that one a few times.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Administrator

Your paint was good enough nick just to give a good scuffing to and re-coat wasnt' it If you have grabbed acrylic laquer.... make triply sure none of the paint on your car is enamel .... You really don't want to put laquer thinners near enamel .... I've certainly learnt that one a few times.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yeah, everything except the bonnet polishes up like new. I'll take the bonnet back to bare metal as it has been repainted badly at some stage in its life and has crows feet all over it.

Car will be painted in 2K (no clear, just the base as its a solid colour)

Thread Information