Transmission Calibration
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Transmission Calibration

Do I need to have Renault dealer calibrate the transmission in '01 Scenic or can a independent workshop do it? Also what should it cost approx. ? Thanks Greg

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

What do you mean by "calibrate" exactly?
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

I'm aware that electronically controlled gearboxes (like engines) can have different mapping. The gearbox normally is self calibrating and shouldn't need any attention for the life of the car apart from normal service. Renault Electronic Automatics have been self learning for some time and will generally adjust to the way you drive; i.e: give them a lot of trailing throttle and they will change down as you approach lights, use the brakes fiercely and they probably won't. Hit the gas at every opportunity and they will hang onto the gears until the red-line. You are the one that calibrates the gearbox!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Tadpole

I should have described it as re-calibrate or reset transmission. I've been told the car with 200k Km's from previous owner/s, would benefit from going back to factory setting, and then become adaptive to my driving style.

Also occasionally the auto warning light will come on for no particular reason, when the service dealer/workshop hooks the car up it may show some error codes.

The box could benefit from diagnosis, anyone else have anything?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Read this (its called the AL4 in PSA cars, DPO in Renault, same transmission).

AL4 Transmission

Error codes mean an error (or electronic ghosts in the multiplex..). Auto adaptive just means it will learn which of the preset maps you spend the most time in - not sure an unlearning of that will help.

1000+ Posts

Page 30 chapter 6 ,old oil warning light ,this is interesting as the tranny is supposed to be filled for life ,great link ,run out of time now ,will read up tonight pugs

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    Page 30 chapter 6 ,old oil warning light ,this is interesting as the tranny is supposed to be filled for life ,great link ,run out of time now ,will read up tonight pugs
    Hi The oil temperature and time is monitored and it may be deemed to be over the specified limit and therefore a changes is deemed necessary. As far as the learning goes. The drivers actions are always monitored to determine the right preset map to use as haakon said. Nothing needed to be reset there. As well the computer does monitor the condition of the transmission by the way the pressures change during changes. It modifies the way it applies the pressure and speed of application to compensate for wear in the clutches etc. This should not be reset until the box is rebuilt or the like. Cheers Jaahn

Thread Information