Scenic I Tailgate Struts
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fordman

Thread: Scenic I Tailgate Struts

Default Scenic I Tailgate Struts

Have just replaced the rear gas struts on the Scenic I. I believe this subject was posted some time ago but I couldn't find it readily - no matter, I think I remember the genuine struts were quite expensive. I usually get genuine parts, but in this case it doesn't matter much, because if they fail it is literally only a 5 minute job to replace them, and I couldn't be bothered driving to the dealer.

Anyway, got them from local Repco shop, Repco brand, part number RGS14701, about $35 each. Not listed in catalog, just selected by comparison.

They are about 15mm longer than original extended, so the door lifts about 25mm higher, so just check the clearance at the hinge when fully opened. Mine was OK, just a bit less clearance than before.

Advertisement

I have had these Repco ones (different part nos) on my Falcon bonnet and tailgate for a while - they seem OK.

Missus is happy, she was getting a bit pee'd off with the broomstick I had cut to length to do the job.

Cheers.
    HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Do Repco have generic gas struts?
    I will have to check my local Repco for some for the Rx-4 rear window as mine are almost cactus...on a hot dday they are good, cold weather, well, we all know the effect of cold weather on things
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    Do Repco have generic gas struts?
    Yes, some Repco stores have a range of them hanging at the end of the shelves, my local store took my strut into the "back room" and brought me the nearest size. The end fittings look exactly the same, these had 10mm dia ball sockets, same as the originals, I guess that is fairly standard. I think they have catalog listing for more common cars. They have the compressed and extended lengths marked on the packet. It is important that the compressed length is the same or shorter, so they don't bind when closed (compressed) in situ. I guess you just need to be a bit lucky to get the right size.

Cheers
    Chris M.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

The Volvo dealer I worked at was shared with Saab. The Saab bonnet struts were prone to weakenng and dropping on the mechanics head!
    The Saab blokes were always looking for the one broomhandle they shared. No one had the nous to make up two or three!
    I did them a good turn by getting hold of some left over plastic conduit, cutting to the length of the strut then grinding a full length split in the conduit just big enough to fit over the strut stem. This would prevent the strut from collapsing on their heads.

Volvo mechanic thinking = [1].
    SAAB mechanic thinking = [0].

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    The Volvo dealer I worked at was shared with Saab. The Saab bonnet struts were prone to weakenng and dropping on the mechanics head!
    Ha, yes, I got a bit tired of my Falcon bonnet closing on me with a breath of wind, as the struts weakened. I had one of those nice full length fluoro work lights, with rubberised hooks each end to hang under the bonnet - turned away from it one night and heard a crash, light smashed across the rocker cover! Found a convenient piece of 75x40 pine which stayed in my carport for months, until I found the new struts.

Cheers.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thread Information