R12 Camshaft specifications ??
  • Register
  • Help

Default R12 Camshaft specifications ??

Hi Guys

Is there anybody out there that can tell me if there is such a R12 Camshaft identification number as 847/7/05.

Also can you tell me what the camshaft lobe settings are for a Renault 12 1.4 Virage, I.m trying to find out the degrees the inlet and exhaust valves open and close.

Anybody with this sort of info I would appreciate your reply.

many thanks

Phil

Advertisement

That particular number is the engine ID number rather than a camshaft reference. It is a 12 1.4 motor, the number translates as follows; 847 = 1,397cc, 7 = Engine homologation number (basically a Euro bureaucratic reference to it being a Renault engine, the reference being introduced in 1976), and the 05 indicates it is made for a manual gearbox, 06 would equal an automatic trans motor.

The camshaft is the same spec as an 842-05 or 810-05/06 1289cc Renault 12 motor.

Inlet valve opens 22 degrees BTDC
    Inlet valve closes 62 degrees ABDC
    Exhaust valve opens 65 degrees BBDC
    Exhaust valve closes 25 degrees ATDC
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

You are a Renault God, Simon!

If you are looking for a regrind, there was some posts about modifying that engine over the last year so as I was playing around with mine.
    I went with a Cosworth A6 grind on mine, but a number of people tried to talk me out of it and into using an A3 grind instead which is a better road cam.

I may get another reground to A3 and swap it back if I ever get my spare cam back from c.lees
    KB
    KB

A6 wow. I think I had the A3 (or is there an A2?) in the Rally car for the 1289 engine, and that was pretty good. It did have a 45 webber on it delivering what was needed for it though. Probably need to think of that if you haven't already. It also makes a big difference to do a port and polish. Anything like that on the 847 made a significant difference. If you can find some extractors that is a nice hop-up too but now I guess I'm starting to get a little silly...

Mine's not short of carburettors: See pic 2

But I think for most people, an A3 cam, port and polish; side draft weber, a Std R12 exhaust manifold mated to a mandrel bent custom exhaust and muffler would be sufficient and a nice road car. See pic 1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R12 Camshaft specifications ??-kbr10engine.jpg   R12 Camshaft specifications ??-dscn1692.jpg  
    KB

KB,
    Are your car going already with the new extractor? And if so how is going? I can remember the thread of you building it but that is where it stopped, I think.

Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

It's good to see you have hose clamps on that fuel line Kev...

Thread Information