scenic rx4 tyres
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: scenic rx4 tyres

Default scenic rx4 tyres

I thought I'd start this thread going to talk about tyres for thr RX4.
    They are 25/65/16 and carry a massive load rating for a small car. Must be a 4x4 thing.

Finding good information on the suv tyres is like pulling teeth.
    For starters I reckon most the people who write reveiws on suv tyres are grannies who never push their cars hard around corners, and talk about silly stuff like being disappointed about not getting more than 60,000 km per set.
    My tyres would have aged out before I get 60k km out of them.
    So, skip the reviews unless you know the person and their driving style.
    There was always the option of just driving into the tyre shop and saying..."here, put some round black things on my car" but that is not my style and for $800 I want to make sure I get the tyre that is right for my needs.

I am running bridgestone on my fuego and the local bridgestone select shop knows their stuff, listen to my comments, and have nice touches like tightening the wheel nuts by hand, so I thought I'd go with bridgestone, who make a range of SUV tyres in this size under the "dueller" product name.

A fellow fuego mate who i know is a hoon even hoonier than me put me onto the Dueller 684 as being the bees knees for hoons in suv's.

The shop recommended Dueller 683, so more research was needed to find the difference. Thats where it got hard because direct comparisons on paper are hard to find, especially if you do a net search and spell tyre with a y.

Alarm bells started to ring on the 683 because it was advertised as high KM, which is the opposite to what i want.

Turns out the 683 is a medium hard compound whereas the 684 is a soft compound (180 vs 360?? ) so the 684 is the tyre for me.

Have ordered 4 Dueller 684 tyres, which come in about $20 more expensive per tyre at around the $200 mark.
    I'll follow up with my impressions of these tyres once I'e done a few Km.

Jo

Advertisement

Jo, the RX4 originally came with Michelin XM mud and snows. I replaced them at 64,000 km (the originals are still in the shed with just legal tread) with less aggressively treaded Michelins (Can't remember the model now) which I then replaced after a further 69,000 km of hard driving. I shall follow your tyre exploits with great interest to see if the Bridgies come up equal!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Jo, the RX4 originally came with Michelin XM mud and snows. I replaced them at 64,000 km (the originals are still in the shed with just legal tread) with less aggressively treaded Michelins (Can't remember the model now) which I then replaced after a further 69,000 km of hard driving. I shall follow your tyre exploits with great interest to see if the Bridgies come up equal!
    The bridgestone Dueller 684 is nothing like the tyres you have described, Kim so there is no equality.

I should have made it clearer in my first post.

I'm looking for suv tyres in suv sizes that behave like road tyres and offer all the advantages (braking cornering noise etc) a good road tyre offers, but with the capabilities to do some light offroad stuff.

Treadwear of 180 is rather soft compared to OE tyres.

Jo

If the tyres you've selected have that much grip, Jo, you should be able to invert the RX4 almost immediately. It won't happen of course, if you do overcook it you'll just end up sliding into the scenery, right way up, at a slightly higher speed than you would on the normal tyres. Doesn't look any better, I'd have to say! :-)
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Fellow Frogger!

Of the Bridgestones, the Dueler HP Sport is the closest (of their 4WD tyre range) to a performance passenger tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    Of the Bridgestones, the Dueler HP Sport is the closest (of their 4WD tyre range) to a performance passenger tyre.
    Would you know how the HP sport compares to the 684??

Jo
    renaultmark likes this.

Jo, be careful with the tyre hardness/wear rating.
    I tried that set of 235/60x16s on mine at one stage.
    Admittedly they were a cheap tyre, but they wore so fast it was amazing.
    They held on great, were excellent in the corners but lasted under 40,000km and I am not usually hard on tyres.
    Make certain the tyre place do a full 4 wheel alignment as I found the rears scrub the inside of both tyres early if this isn't kept in check.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    Jo, be careful with the tyre hardness/wear rating.
    I tried that set of 235/60x16s on mine at one stage.
    Admittedly they were a cheap tyre, but they wore so fast it was amazing.
    They held on great, were excellent in the corners but lasted under 40,000km and I am not usually hard on tyres.
    Make certain the tyre place do a full 4 wheel alignment as I found the rears scrub the inside of both tyres early if this isn't kept in check.
    Thats sounds like the tyre for me!!

Seriously, now having three cars, I'll be lucky to do 10k per year in any one of them and 3 years is a good age to replace tyres so 40k would be Ok if there was a direct relationship to grip.

I hate replacing aged-out tyres with heaps of tread. Such a waste.

Jo

Agree there.
    I can't remember which brand I bought but they were ones used for dunnydores and fowlcans so not really a SUV tyre. They were the right load and speed though, think they may have even been a higher rating.
    The speed rating is the funniest thing for these...the tyre is rated @ 210km/h I aint testing that lol

They were NanKangs Jo from memory.
    They were a 102V rated tyre. rated at 240km/h Like that's ever happening
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 7th June 2013 at 01:50 PM.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Would you know how the HP sport compares to the 684??

Jo
    Well, not having personally tried them, I can only offer these observations:

1. Bridgestone Japan has a helpful chart which outlines the Dueler range.

2. Tire Rack categorises the Dueler H/P Sport as a "Street/Sport Truck Summer" tyre, and the Dueler H/T 684 as a "Highway All-season" tyre.

As a broad generalisation, all-season tyres tend to be floppier (performance-wise) than summer tyres.

3. In addition, here's how Bridgestone USA markets each tyre:

Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport
    Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684

4. Further, I'm guessing Bridgestone use some sort of system that briefly describes each tyre in the Dueler range:

H/P = Highway Performance
    H/L = Highway Luxury
    H/T = Highway Terrain
    A/T = All Terrain
    M/T = Mud Terrain

Mind you, these are just guesses - I don't know if they're actually correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post

4. Further, I'm guessing Bridgestone use some sort of system that briefly describes each tyre in the Dueler range:

H/P = Highway Performance
    H/L = Highway Luxury
    H/T = Highway Terrain
    A/T = All Terrain
    M/T = Mud Terrain

Mind you, these are just guesses - I don't know if they're actually correct.
    The things you said they refer to are about right.
    A mate of mine has a Colorado with the A/T tyres, they are coarse tread. Another guy has a Hilux with the H/T and they are smoother and my HP are just like car tyres.
    bit OT here............The best beach tyre would be the H/T or H/P in my book as they are not going to shift the sand but ride over it. The A/T are just so aggresive we found they were worse in the soft stuff. None would make any difference to an Rx4 as I don't think too many make the beach. Although, i am tempted to do a trip to Fraser Island with my mates, just to say I have done it. Would never consider it without support.
    I do like the fact the sub frame is all galvanized steel at the front too, good going Renault

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

great information DV. Thank you.

i ended up fitting the 684 in standard size on OE alloy rims.
    Your info came too late and I'd already ordered the 684. Could have changed my mind but that would have made me one of those 'difficult customers'.

The improvement from what was on it is huge, and so far after doing just 10Km in traffic I'm happy with the tyres.

They do feel very soft to touch though and make the noise that soft tyres make around corners, a nice woosh sound.

I dont think these tyres will age out.

Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 7th June 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    bit OT here............The best beach tyre would be the H/T or H/P in my book as they are not going to shift the sand but ride over it. The A/T are just so aggresive we found they were worse in the soft stuff. None would make any difference to an Rx4 as I don't think too many make the beach.
    I wont be doing beach safari's, but launching the boat at (aptly called) Sandy Point will be a fairly regular event now that i have 4x4 capabilities.
    Having the capability of driving on a beach opens up a whole new set of launch possibilities for the rubber boat that were previously unthinkable in the fuego.

jo

With the beach work Jo.
    Remove the ABS fuse so the traction control doesn't cut in and stop you in your tracks when you get wheel slip
    The european guys used to do it in the ones not equipped with the switch which some o/s models had
    There used to be a forum based in Germany until it was hacked in 2011 and it went down, never to be heard from again

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

I've had these tyres on for three weeks now, and this weekend has seen the first solid rain conditions.

I'm very impressed with the tyres' wet weather performance.
    I can not feel, hear or otherwise detect and change in sound or steering feel in the wet with these 684 tyres, and even aiming through deep puddles, (100mm+) the tyre's tread makes light work of displacing the water.
    Whilst it is effortlessly doing this the soft compound is sticking like glue, and even when being a little silly and deliberately trying to break traction on the wet roads I have not been able to do so, even on the sandy wet corners.
    I stopped short of yanking on the handbrake mid corner.
    So if a little slip and slide and cornering fun is your thing, these tyres are defiantly not for you.

Jo
    HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.

How is your shuddery front end now Jo, is it fixed?

Nope.
    There are some worn parts that need replacing...Ball joints, shocks. have not checked strut tops but that is on the list of things to check.
    At the moment i'm just trying to repair the damage from the truck that ran into the rear quarter.

Jo

Yeah, that was a pain! You'll get there!

I've had these tyres on for three weeks now, and this weekend has seen the first solid rain conditions.

I'm very impressed with the tyres' wet weather performance.
    I can not feel, hear or otherwise detect and change in sound or steering feel in the wet with these 684 tyres, and even aiming through deep puddles, (100mm+) the tyre's tread makes light work of displacing the water.
    Whilst it is effortlessly doing this the soft compound is sticking like glue, and even when being a little silly and deliberately trying to break traction on the wet roads I have not been able to do so, even on the sandy wet corners.
    I stopped short of yanking on the handbrake mid corner.
    So if a little slip and slide and cornering fun is your thing, these tyres are defiantly not for you.

Jo
    It has been just over 4 month and 8000km on the '684' tyres. Hard Km at that.
    Nothing has changed and the tyre still outperforms the car.

The tyres got rotated today from front to back. Probably a bit early, but better than too late.

Jo

Have you driven any distance at all on gravel, Jo? That shows another side of the RX4 nature, one where controlled slips and slides are much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Have you driven any distance at all on gravel, Jo? That shows another side of the RX4 nature, one where controlled slips and slides are much fun!
    No, only urban driving.
    Lucky i didn't buy an off road tyre.

Jo

Need new tyres now, after about one oil change.

Very happy with the grip and performance of the dueler 684 but not so happy about the high wear rate.
    Would have liked another 10k km out of them, but they were always going to be worn out quickly.
    I just didn't think it would be this quick.

They exceeded the performance of the car by such a high degree I dont actualy know if my car has traction controll, nor if the ABS or EBS work.

The new set of rims is all ready to be driven down to the tyre shop and re-shod with something new.
    STill sticking to my rule of never letting a tyre shop lift my car.

Unfortunately the options are a lot broader than I first realised.

Whilst 215/65/16 is a size where the market is almost exclusively supplied by SUV tyres, moving one size up or down (and staying within load limit) opens up a whole new market in cheaper road tyres.
    215/65/16 OE
    215/60/16 way cheaper but looks too small
    225/60/16 a bit cheaper and more 'performance' options.

I'm very tempted to fit some street cheepies like kumho KU31 (225/60/r16 at $100 a pop) just to find out what the difference between a $400 set and a $1000 set of tyres is.
    At $400 it doesn't matter if they only last 15k km.
    I suspect the rx4 being a bit of a barge is not one of those cars which is hugely tyre critical, at least the ones I've driven with shit tyres didn't feel too dangerous.

Jo

Need new tyres now, after about one oil change.Very happy with the grip and performance of the dueler 684 but not so happy about the high wear rate.Would have liked another 10k km out of them, but they were always going to be worn out quickly.I just didn't think it would be this quick.They exceeded the performance of the car by such a high degree I dont actualy know if my car has traction controll, nor if the ABS or EBS work.The new set of rims is all ready to be driven down to the tyre shop and re-shod with something new.STill sticking to my rule of never letting a tyre shop lift my car.Unfortunately the options are a lot broader than I first realised.Whilst 215/65/16 is a size where the market is almost exclusively supplied by SUV tyres, moving one size up or down (and staying within load limit) opens up a whole new market in cheaper road tyres.215/65/16 OE215/60/16 way cheaper but looks too small225/60/16 a bit cheaper and more 'performance' options.I'm very tempted to fit some street cheepies like kumho KU31 (225/60/r16 at $100 a pop) just to find out what the difference between a $400 set and a $1000 set of tyres is.At $400 it doesn't matter if they only last 15k km. I suspect the rx4 being a bit of a barge is not one of those cars which is hugely tyre critical, at least the ones I've driven with shit tyres didn't feel too dangerous.Jo
    The RX4 has ABS, Traction Control and Electronic Brake Force Distribution but I don't think it had an Electronic Stability Program in Australia, we had to wait for the Koleos to get that. If you're unsure whether your ABS is working try locking your wheels in a muddy patch, the ABS should start making a series of weird noises!

1000+ Posts

Need new tyres now, after about one oil change.

Very happy with the grip and performance of the dueler 684 but not so happy about the high wear rate.
    Would have liked another 10k km out of them, but they were always going to be worn out quickly.
    I just didn't think it would be this quick.

They exceeded the performance of the car by such a high degree I dont actualy know if my car has traction controll, nor if the ABS or EBS work.

The new set of rims is all ready to be driven down to the tyre shop and re-shod with something new.
    STill sticking to my rule of never letting a tyre shop lift my car.

Unfortunately the options are a lot broader than I first realised.

Whilst 215/65/16 is a size where the market is almost exclusively supplied by SUV tyres, moving one size up or down (and staying within load limit) opens up a whole new market in cheaper road tyres.
    215/65/16 OE
    215/60/16 way cheaper but looks too small
    225/60/16 a bit cheaper and more 'performance' options.

I'm very tempted to fit some street cheepies like kumho KU31 (225/60/r16 at $100 a pop) just to find out what the difference between a $400 set and a $1000 set of tyres is.
    At $400 it doesn't matter if they only last 15k km.
    I suspect the rx4 being a bit of a barge is not one of those cars which is hugely tyre critical, at least the ones I've driven with shit tyres didn't feel too dangerous.

Jo
    Just a few thoughts Jo:

- a 2006 Forester just bought has 683 tyres on it. These are interesting in that they utilise Bridgestone's now defunctish double compound idea (softer exposed as the tyre wears).

I had this system on a pair of Potenzas years ago (R8 rears) & was impressed by the retention of wet grip in predominently compound sensitive wet conditions. On their basis, I bought some similar-system AR10s for a daughter's car. Nice tyre so far in the wet; so they promise well when worn more. But the similar concept system on the Forester's 683 type is unimpressive.

They are worn enough for the softer compound to be well exposed but are not impressive in the wet. Certainly worse wet tyres than the C-Drive2s on an otherwise identical prior (2005) Forester we had. And they were themselves worse than the C-Drives which preceded them (multiple sets). Curiously, my 683s (215/60-16) are wear rated at 220. they'll be replaced by PremiumContact 2s.

Looking at Bob Jane & Jax, the list of availables in 215/65 is, as you say, not impressive (I loathe SUV H/T-type tyres - no great advantage in the dirt & significantly worse as bitumen road tyres). Focusing on ordinary offerings, only two seem worth a medium-listing: Pirellis' P1 & Kumho's KH 17. Neither wonderful but neither woeful. ABS or not, a major priority for your intended usage would, I assume, be wet braking. On that score, the P1 is probably the best bet given the European test results.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 2nd December 2014 at 12:07 AM.
    jo proffi likes this.

Bit the cheap bullet today and fitted the Kumho ku31 in 225/60/16, at $115 a tyre.
    A change was in order, so the alternate rims (australian dealer fitted????) were painted satin black (white night satin black enamel, 1.5 cans ..$10)
    and driven to tempe tyres to be shod.
    Changed the rims over myself and took the time to jack it right.

Bloody F1 taking 5 seconds...Took me 45 minutes.

Here is before
    scenic rx4 tyres-silver-rims.jpg

After...
    scenic rx4 tyres-black-rims.jpg

and close up
    scenic rx4 tyres-black-close-up.jpg

Cant realy make any comments of significance.
    Drove the same road I normaly do and hit the same bumps and drover around the same corners as usual and everything felt fine and as benign as it did with the old tyres.
    One thing that is certain, they have more grip and performance than the dog .
    Preliminary thoughts are tyres are good enough and I've done pretty well in the wallet dept.

KM are at 219k km. Lets see how well they last.

Jo

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information