Renault to take on Targa!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Renault to take on Targa!

Megane RS 265 team to contest showroom category in Tassie tarmac rally during AprilRenault Sport and Walkinshaw Performance have joined forces to field a two-car team for this year's Targa Tasmania and one of the drivers entered is Mike Sinclair, our very own Editor in Chief.

Sitting alongside him in the Renault Sport Megane 265 will be co-driver Bill Hayes, who was recently announced as one of the crew for Renault's Clio R3 assault on this year's Australian Rally Championship.

Advertisement

The other Megane to be entered in Targa Tasmania will be driven by Channel 7 personality and occasional V8 Supercar driver Grant Denyer, who will be partnered by Dale Moscatt, another of Renault's ARC Clio team members. Both cars will run in the Showroom category.

"We're extremely excited to field an official Renault Sport team in Targa Tasmania," Renault Australia's Marketing Director, Chris Bayman said.

"Renault Sport is committed to motorsport at both elite and grass roots levels. We have just announced our re-entry into the Australian Rally Championship but we're keen to see the brand strut its stuff in tarmac competition as well.

"Targa Tasmania is an event of world standing and our presence at the event is a key part of our commitment to motorsport Down Under. That we've been able to partner with motoring.com.au for the event is very pleasing."

Renault Sport Australia has contracted Walkinshaw Performance to assist with the preparation of the two cars, as well as privateer teams. It's a first for the aftermarket tuning company, previously known in Australia exclusively for its work modifying Holdens and HSVs. Both the 'works' entries have competed in Targa Tasmania in the past.

"I'm extremely excited to be heading back to Targa. I've done a fair bit of motorsport and there's nothing that's quite like the Tassie event," Denyer said.

"It's the Bathurst of tarmac rallies and the event that everybody wants to win... And the Megane RS 265 is the perfect tool for that job.

"We're going down there with a job to do, but I'm also looking forward to having some fun along the way."

The event is scheduled to run from April 16 to 21.

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2013...or-targa-35323

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

RC- Inline

Well, good luck and Bon Chance. With teams like that you should get great publicity which should also rub off on the Renault privateers - make sure you look after them too (Ernst and Sonja Luthi -A110- and Andrew and Belinda Collier - R52Turbo - from Sydney, and others.

Alastair

Here's hoping Adam and the Redback Racing crew just pip them to the post!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

With the Gravel rally team, now the two Targa supported teams someone must have told them the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" mantra!

The only downside, is that with a "factory" team, it will make it harder for the Renault mounted privateers to get any funds or assistance. Why support a 30-50yr old renault (or even an older R26) when there are showroom models currently running.
    KB

VIP Sponsor

They say they are going to support grass roots motorsport as well, maybe that's what they think Targa is?
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    With the Gravel rally team, now the two Targa supported teams someone must have told them the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" mantra!

The only downside, is that with a "factory" team, it will make it harder for the Renault mounted privateers to get any funds or assistance. Why support a 30-50yr old renault (or even an older R26) when there are showroom models currently running.

Perhaps if the teams are successful, and the news gets communicated back to Renault in France, Renault Classic may make an effort once they see the variety in the entry list.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    They say they are going to support grass roots motorsport as well, maybe that's what they think Targa is?
    Graham
    Of course they do. From their "factory" budget point of view, an event that runs through country towns, and where the breaks are generally catered by the CWA/Rotary/locals schools etc, that is event support at a grass root level :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Perhaps if the teams are successful, and the news gets communicated back to Renault in France, Renault Classic may make an effort once they see the variety in the entry list.
    We live in hope Simon
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

VIP Sponsor

Grass root to me is not multithousand dollar entry fees with factory teams entered.
    More like club sprint days or motorkhanas.
    I've even seen the State Rally Series referred to as grass root!
    Graham

Of course they do. From their "factory" budget point of view, an event that runs through country towns, and where the breaks are generally catered by the CWA/Rotary/locals schools etc, that is event support at a grass root level :-)

Maybe we should get the Porsche team to cross the border and tell them about it
    KB

COL

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Grass root to me is not multithousand dollar entry fees with factory teams entered.
    More like club sprint days or motorkhanas.
    I've even seen the State Rally Series referred to as grass root!
    Graham
    You must read from the same dictionary as me Graham
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Yes KB, I think us privateers have no show of assistance from renault at Targa! We haven't actually asked, maybe we should give it a go! You don't get if you don't ask................................apparently.

AC

How about Renault Australia borror my 16TS Waltons replica and line them up with R8G & R12G in a photo with the new gravel rally team providing a historical framework/narrative to Renault rallying in Aust. The 16TS did win the 69 VRC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault to take on Targa!-bob-watson-rr-r16-works-replica.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Last year while at Classic Renault workshop I asked the manager would they consider events in Australia like Targa. I explained that Porsche did send cars from their factory museum. He said that someone would have to find 70,000 EUR for the transport costs he would happily provide cars, support team, and drivers etc. Perhaps $100,000 is out of the question for Renault Australia for one event with a classic Renault, R5 turbo for example, that never rallied in Australia. Would it attract enough advertising time to warrant that expenditure? I guess one could say it is not out of the question in the future.

My 2c worth is that Renault Aus have been trying hard to include the old with the new but let's make no bones about it that it comes down to a reward for investment scenario. The RCCV for instance has received great support for its "grassroots" events. That is because of two reasons. The first is we ask. The second is we take an approach of putting proposals to them that are considerate of commercial realities ie what's in it for them.
    A few years back they did a significant launch at Sandown for the Clio Sport. It included F1 drivers etc. They also acknowledged Renaults racing heritage by filling the pits with A110, R5T, 12G, Dauhpine G, R8G, R17G etc. I think we should be rejoicing in the revival and supportive of what we have. I've found them great to deal with when we take a proper commercial proposal to them. So my advice is if you want something at Grassroots level then ask.
    Remember what it was like 10 years ago?
    Cheers....Paul
    ps I'm not on the payroll at Renault but just relaying my experiences.
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Last year while at Classic Renault workshop I asked the manager would they consider events in Australia like Targa. I explained that Porsche did send cars from their factory museum. He said that someone would have to find 70,000 EUR for the transport costs he would happily provide cars, support team, and drivers etc.
    They could trim costs slightly by using Australian drivers who have helped sell them a few cars in the past. Bob Watson would be the first one to come to mind, with a couple of others.....

Though it would be cool to see Michele Mouton in action, with a hot A110 or a TdC spec 5 Maxi Turbo, on the Tassie roads.

Perhaps $100,000 is out of the question for Renault Australia for one event
    I would have thought it would be a better investment than their latest rumoured sponsorship effort I heard on TV earlier. Sponsoring Port Adelaide football club, apparently to be confirmed tomorrow (Tuesday). What a way to blow your cash, here's hoping it is a false rumour.

with a classic Renault, R5 turbo for example, that never rallied in Australia.
    There was Ron Marks in his 5 Turbo, as well as Bob Watson in his 5 Frankenturbo

Would it attract enough advertising time to warrant that expenditure? I guess one could say it is not out of the question in the future.
    If they are trying to shift more RS spec vehicles, it may be. If their main business plan involves shifting badge-engineered Samsungs, I doubt it.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    We live in hope Simon
    OTOH, it is just easier to grab the Targa Tassie recce notes and go for a private drive. Those roads in TasVegas are just too good to watch others having fun. And given that I find it hard to drive a nail, going at my own pace allows one to see and experience an awful lot more than from a competition car!

Fresh fish 'n chips on the foreshore at Strahan is just the best, especially with no crowds!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault to take on Targa!-dsc05124.jpg   Renault to take on Targa!-dsc03110.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
    My 2c worth is that Renault Aus have been trying hard to include the old with the new but let's make no bones about it that it comes down to a reward for investment scenario. The RCCV for instance has received great support for its "grassroots" events. That is because of two reasons. The first is we ask. The second is we take an approach of putting proposals to them that are considerate of commercial realities ie what's in it for them.
    The RCCQ has also received excellent support. Not just from Renault Aust but also from local agents. Bryan Byrt Renault have been very supportive in recent years with sponsorship of trophies, and a massive and no doubt costly display at our annual Grand Display of French cars. Norris Motor Group also provided similar support in the past. RSAE 2010 received great support from the now defunct Cartwright Renault as well as Renault Aust. I think for a small selling manufacturer they have done a good job. Remember they are in this as a business. They need return on investment. When they sell 10,000 cars a year I imagine support can be increased. Don't forget they also need to sponsor events in other high return areas if they want to attract new buyers from the general public. TV advertising has increased, even occurred during the recent Adelaide V8 Super Cars broadcast. No doubt an expensive exercise.

Great to hear the RCCQ also having the same experience. Thanks Sunroof.
    Also great to see mainstream sponsorship of a footy club. What's the dealer situation like in Adelaide/Port Adelaide?
    Cheers...Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

What's the dealer situation like in Adelaide/Port Adelaide?
    Where did that don't feed the animal sign go?

Oh well. In my experience the associated Unley/Main North Nissault dealer would love to sell you a car. When it comes to servicing though, I've found and experienced (as well as with first hand feed back from a couple of other RS owners) that their service departments are inept and half arsed at absolute best.

The closest dealer to Port Adelaide central is Main North Nissault, an approx 13km leisurely tilt-tray ride away.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

A few years back they did a significant launch at Sandown for the Clio Sport. It included F1 drivers etc. They also acknowledged Renaults racing heritage by filling the pits with A110, R5T, 12G, Dauhpine G, R8G, R17G etc. I think we should be rejoicing in the revival and supportive of what we have. I've found them great to deal with when we take a proper commercial proposal to them. So my advice is if you want something at Grassroots level then ask.
    Remember what it was like 10 years ago?
    Cheers....Paul
    ps I'm not on the payroll at Renault but just relaying my experiences.
    Totally agree, since Renaults return back in 2000 they have been fantastic to work with. They see the clubs as preaching to the converted so if they look after us we shall go fourth and spred the word.

I remember then I was president of RCCV and when organizing a Renault Round-up I asked them for some cars and got a Megane and a Trafic. Ian McLean was in charge then and told me my wife and I could use them for a week. I said to him that we live in Kyneton, an hour out of Melbourne and his immediate responce was that he'd better make sure they had full tanks.
    So they did, 2 cars turned up with full tanks of fuel.

I doubt any importers would look after a car club like Renault look after us.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

David, I have a trophy in my collection entitled "VRCCA Rally Champion 1969" presented to myself and my navigator Les Serin by Renault Australia's Geoff Keys. You may not know but we actually for a couple of years had the "Victorian Renault Car Clubs Association" formally acknowledged by Renault Australia, and held many rallies and autokhanas for the three (or four) Renault Clubs in Victoria. They were supporting clubs and privateers then and apparently are still willing to do so. Makes me happy!
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    David, I have a trophy in my collection entitled "VRCCA Rally Champion 1969" presented to myself and my navigator Les Serin by Renault Australia's Geoff Keys. You may not know but we actually for a couple of years had the "Victorian Renault Car Clubs Association" formally acknowledged by Renault Australia, and held many rallies and autokhanas for the three (or four) Renault Clubs in Victoria. They were supporting clubs and privateers then and apparently are still willing to do so. Makes me happy!
    Thats great Kim. I was only a pup back then, I joined RCCV about 1977-78 but heard how good Renault Australia was but never saw it first hand. Lets not talk about the 80's and 90's but come 2000 and there back and working hard to make a good impression.

I remember when I was president the president of PCCV saying that they hardly get any support from Peugeot and CCCV said that Citroen didn't want to know them.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Thats great Kim. I was only a pup back then, I joined RCCV about 1977-78 but heard how good Renault Australia was but never saw it first hand. Lets not talk about the 80's and 90's but come 2000 and there back and working hard to make a good impression.

I remember when I was president the president of PCCV saying that they hardly get any support from Peugeot and CCCV said that Citroen didn't want to know them.
    We are getting good support from PAA now, especially since the 2003 Redex Rerun.
    The colour covers of Torque are paid for by PAA and they are coming on board again for the 2013 Redex.

Renault weren't very forthcoming with the 40% discount on parts that they gave people like the night watchman at the factory but wouldn't do anything for people competing in motorsport.
    Eventually after a lot of effort Bob Waterhouse got the 40% discount for parts for his 404 rally car, this was in 1973.
    Maybe he needed to be in a Renault?
    Graham

Thread Information