Leaky R12 - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Leaky R12

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    All the 12 seals are joined. The earlier (wide plastic locking strip) Australian type, and the later French (stainless locking strip) type. Both have the join at the top, but the French type rarely separates.
    My car is a Feb 73 compliance plate, don't know if it sat in a paddock for months or years after it was built but presumably was built in late 72. (Yes, I should get the number off the oval plate ).
    It has the plastic locking strip (badly discoloured and weathered now) so is the Australian type.
    I don't doubt the ends were once glued but now there's a 1/4" gap between the ends and from what you're saying it was from the factory with the join at the top. The rubber windscreen seals available from Peter Jackson et al. (if they had a suitable profile) are sold by the meter so would have a join that would have to be sealed or glued. I don't mind using Aussie seals if there is one that fits. This one lasted 40 odd years and if another one lasts that long it will outlive me.

Advertisement

Had a look at the R12 shop, 135 Euro plus about 60 euro postage, ouch.
    Must be supplied with a 99.99% gold bar.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Yes check the price at Scott's.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Hello Bowie, I looked at Scotts but they didn't have a windscreen seal for a R12 listed. Lots of other R12 rubbers just not a windscreen.
    The R12 parts manual has the appears to have the size of every clip, grommet, and terminal in the car but not the profile for the windscreen seals so I can't check if one of their generic seals would do the job (probably would if I knew what size).
    Looks like I'm up for a couple of hundred bucks for one out of Europe.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

I feel like I emailed him a while back.. hold on..

Ah I emailed him about the difference in the early and late strip and he was like Meeeeeeeeh I got this one, you want it? and fair enough really.

Ken Bradley, is still still selling stuff out of Alpine Affair?

I reckon you can save some coin. Ring Alpine Affair. Ken was hanging out there a bit when I was still in Melbourne, he used to run a parts mecha at Box Hill.

Actually, the chap that sold me the laminated screen reckoned he could get rubbers too.

"Amergency Windscreens"
    Peter Taylor
    0418 363 524
    (03) 9729 2436

I just love the olden days when all yee business needed to start with an A or two. This one is great as it's nearly a pun!
    Last edited by bowie; 8th December 2017 at 07:49 PM.

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

#edit!

Also! my father was restoring a 504 at one point. The thing sat without a windscreen for a couple of years and the pillars / roof sagged enough so the windscreen wouldn't fit in. Shaving the windscreen down was one option, but he (the windscreen dude) ended up mounting it like a modern car. That is, rubber on the frame, and glass glued to the rubber?

From memory I think they cut an AU falcon rubber to length as appropriate and glued everything on. I don't remember the glass sticking out so it must have been glued into the inner lip or something...

Might save future torment with genuine rubber?

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Ken Bradley, is still still selling stuff out of Alpine Affair?

I reckon you can save some coin. Ring Alpine Affair. Ken was hanging out there a bit when I was still in Melbourne, he used to run a parts mecha at Box Hill.
    You probably mean Ken Bailey, who ran Caravelle Imports in Box Hill. He sold that business a few years back, and it promptly moved away from some of the older stuff if I recall correctly. He has a new business and can be contacted on 0400 566 119.

The trouble with the import route postage cost is that most of the folk there have, perhaps reasonably, a minimum handling/postage charge. If you buy a batch of things you need, the postage cost ratio comes down somewhat.

Good luck - be interesting to hear what you finally do. Not a popular option perhaps, but I'd still consider a comprehensive sealing of the current item in place. I thought the bonding option interesting, although I just struggle with the thought of a 504 shell 'sagging' without a screen!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

it was a a real couple of years without glass come to think of it.

And yes I do mean Ken Bailey. Who's Ken Bradley, ah goodness he's a Tuba Player in Sydney. Carry on.

Thanks guys.
    I thought about Ken Bailey and I have bought from him back in the Caravelle days. But I didn't think he carried much in the way of parts these days since he sold Caravelle.

Bowie, I don't think the windscreen could ever be structural and cause the roof to sag because it was removed. If the glass was under pressure if would have cracked very easily from vibration, going over a bump, or a very hot day, etc. I would be betting it's more likely it left the factory slightly undersized.
    The 504 could have the same rubber profile as the 12 (but maybe different length). I think they were both being assembled in Heidelberg at the same time so similar rubber profiles wouldn't be a far stretch of the imagination.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information