Renault 10, round healight rear with square headlight front
  • Help

Default Renault 10, round healight rear with square headlight front

Hello fellow froggers,

Has any one come across in there travels a Renault 10 that has a Round Headlight rear with a Square headlight Front.
    The reason i ask is, this was a car my father cut & shut in the 70's.I last saw it for sale in Torquay Victoria,painted red with VDO instruments instead of original.It was originaly painted Dark green.
    I am keen to track it down if it still exist's.

If any one has seen it or Knows where it now is, i would apreciate the information.

Advertisement

cheers !

61 Gordini

I once thought it would be cool to graft an R10 rear end onto an R8 bodyshell.

I have heard that some guys in the RCCA turned an R10 into an R8 by unstitching the relevant panels and replacing with R8. Must have been a hell of a job, and R8's weren't exactly hard to come by back then too so you have to wonder why!
    KB

US spec R10s were built like that at the factory - the daft US laws wouldn't allow the square headlights to be sold!

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    US spec R10s were built like that at the factory - the daft US laws wouldn't allow the square headlights to be sold!
    Not quite. The US spec R10 used 7" sealed beam lights with the long nose R10 body. When the Euro spec cars went square, the US cars just retained the 7" round lights.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I once thought it would be cool to graft an R10 rear end onto an R8 bodyshell.

As Renault pioneered the long-nose, short-tail, 'pony car' look with the Dauphine, copied by Ford with their Mustang (right down to the indented side air "intake"). Somebody at Renault obviously thought it would be a good thing to continue the theme, note the round-eye R10 front end on the R8 body in this official Renault published picture.

Renault 10, round healight rear with square headlight front-r8.5.jpg
    Last edited by Simon; 27th January 2013 at 02:01 PM.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Does that make it a Renault 9?
    KB

Hi Guys,

The car my father had in 1974 was a early model with round headlights & tailamps mounted up high.He bought it smashed in the front.he looked every where for a early model front but could only get a late model (square headlights) so he cut the car through the pillars & floor.He used it in club motorsport even jumped it and it never cracked.i saw it for sale on the side of the road in Torquay and i am kicking my self for not buying it.

Keep me in mind if anyone hears or comes across it.Could be gone now but i hope not.

Fellow Frogger!

G/DAY I came accross one like that by the side of the railway inbetween dungog and paterson in NSW only it was pale blue and too rusty to recover it had a late type belhousing so i got the gearbox out of it and the fellow that owned it was going to scrap the rest
    Cheers Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by 61 Gordini View Post
    Hello fellow froggers,

Has any one come across in there travels a Renault 10 that has a Round Headlight rear with a Square headlight Front.
    The reason i ask is, this was a car my father cut & shut in the 70's.I last saw it for sale in Torquay Victoria,painted red with VDO instruments instead of original.It was originaly painted Dark green.
    I am keen to track it down if it still exist's.

If any one has seen it or Knows where it now is, i would apreciate the information.

cheers !

61 Gordini
    Hi there, sorry to say that I wrecked what I think was this car back in 2003.

I was working in a Renault parts store at the time and a customer, a girl from Thornbury, was fixing up a red R10. She had bought a lot of new bits for it but decided to give up on it. I had an R10 at the time and was all set to put a newly acquired 1.4 engine in when I pulled the head off to find a valve had dropped and destroyed both a piston as well as the head. As this girl's red R10 already had a 1.4 in it, I decided to buy it with the intention of wrecking it.

I went to pick it up and found that it was an early round eye 10 with a square eye front. It had a small steering wheel, 10S dash, 15x6 steel rims, a 1.4 in it as well as this strange alloy radiator support panel. The radiator support panel was a home made job that was in two pieces (with the top section removed it made tensioning head bolts easy!). It was a strange fire engine red colour and pretty rough. The wiring was all over the place and had a bit of rust.

I stripped it completely and off to the metal recyclers it went. I still have the alloy support panel and the 10S guages in the shed I think. Might also still have the rims.

Anyway sorry to confirm its demise. You've cleared up its history though.

Cheers Jeremy
    2002 Monaco Blue Renaultsport Clio 172
    1975 R1317 Renault 17 Gordini

Default Renault 10, round healight rear with square headlight front

Oh dear, a minutes silence ....
    cheers,

John

Thanks Jeremy,that was the car alright,i will pass the info on to my dad.

cheers

61 Gordini

Thread Information