R17 exhaust manifold colour?
  • Help

Default R17 exhaust manifold colour?

Hi does anyone know what colour the exhaust manifold was from the factory on a R17?

Advertisement

I think I have read this before but can't find anything via the search.

Cheers
    2002 Monaco Blue Renaultsport Clio 172
    1975 R1317 Renault 17 Gordini

1000+ Posts

I am guessing but I would think it would be the original bare cast metal. In other words no paint at all. I have never ever found even a speck of colouring of any sort on them anywhere. I'll go through my brochures/books later for a colour photo and see if I can find anything. I did try a paint advertised as cast metal coloured paint once, but it has almost all come off.

Thanks Sunroof. I dropped a set of to get bead blasted along with a stack of alloy rims. Maybe I should just look for some hi temp clear to keep it stock but neat.

I would say "surface rust colour" :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I've only got a new one from a 16TS, so it may not be the same. But it has a matt black (or really dark charcoal) colour coating.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Jensen,
    Get hold of some cast iron stove black, Zebo was a brand name. Your Mum or Nana will remember it.

Wildebeest, who does recall these things.

Mmmm Jeremy's working on his car :-)
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

I agree with Europa. By the time it would've reached Oz, it would definetly show signs of rust!

Alastair

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I've only got a new one from a 16TS, so it may not be the same. But it has a matt black (or really dark charcoal) colour coating.
    Probably spare parts were painted to stop rust while on the shelf. The same stuff that was put on guards etc and had to be washed off before painting.

The photos I have don't clearly show the left side so no exhaust but on the right side only the sump, oil filter and tappet cover were painted the rest looks to be natural metal. I do have a coloured drawing of the left and the exhaust appears to be cast metal colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Probably spare parts were painted to stop rust while on the shelf. The same stuff that was put on guards etc and had to be washed off before painting.
    I might have thought the same thing, but the face of the manifold bearing onto the gasket and head is plain cast iron, and the interior has no anti-corrosion coating.

As an aside, panels generally were red (or grey) oxide coated with a paper label, or later were given a black cataphoresis coating (not intended to be rubbed through) with a stencilled part number code.

Attached is a pic from the 1974 15/17 brochure featuring a 17TS motor, it shows a black manifold, where the coating hasn't lasted too well, looking closely where the manifold bears on the head, the coating has been replaced by surface rust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R17 exhaust manifold colour?-dsc05071-2.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thanks everyone, I'll see how it comes back looking from the bead blasters and decide whether to leave it or paint it satin black.

Thread Information