We need to educate our young-R16TS
  • Help

Default We need to educate our young-R16TS

Last night my son Chris (Cav91) and I picked up a 16TS from Mikee in Mill Park and drove it home to Kyneton (about 100kms) then back to work today (about 75km) and I can't get Chris out of it. Had to do a delivery into Brunswick (about 40km round trip) and he jumps up and says I'll do it and I'm taking the 16. When he got back and had to go for lunch, in the 16. He can't believe how good it is. This is a bomb, we only got it for the engine, everything else is fairly tired but it still goes well.

I've been telling him for years that cars really haven't improved since the 16, yes heating/cooling is better, safety is better but the basic people mover is no better than the 16TS of 40 years ago. Finally he now believes me.

Advertisement

If he gets the chance to drive a good one for a couple of hundred kms I think he'd be hooked for life (like his old man).
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Or if you get him to fang a little R10 on dirt roads to teach him car control.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I am hooked for life on Renaults now and SAFETY has improved enormously since a R16
    Mine now has ABS, ESC and oh yes, half a dozen airbags
    I'd encourage anyone to help get their kids into a car with these safety features, forget the make entirely

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    If he gets the chance to drive a good one for a couple of hundred kms I think he'd be hooked for life (like his old man).
    Don't look at me - I've only got autos left now!

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

When I come down to Melbourne in March for the RACV Fly the Flag Tour, I shall start locking up my 16TS for fear of Chris lurking around!

Alastair

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair Browne View Post
    When I come down to Melbourne in March for the RACV Fly the Flag Tour, I shall start locking up my 16TS for fear of Chris lurking around!

Alastair
    Hi Alastair,
    Come down in Feb 17 and enjoy the Renault Round Up instead? Or come on October 20th for the best French Car Festival possibly ever in the world. Ok someone will point out some obscure country like France may have one better but ours is going to be pretty spectacular.

Cheers Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    I am hooked for life on Renaults now and SAFETY has improved enormously since a R16
    I'd encourage anyone to help get their kids into a car with these safety features, forget the make entirely
    I kind of argree,
    I'm all for airbags, crumple zones and everything to protect us if we crash but I'm not so sure about all the electronics that take the skill out of driving. I'm even against automatics because they make driving to easy.
    You see young people just put it in drive and off they go playing with there phones and ipods and driving seems to be least on there minds and making a car easy to drive and electronics to get you out of trouble doesn't make sense to me.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

I learnt to drive in a 16TS and had a number of them over the years. Best damn rig I could have had.
    When they became $200 scrappers dad even used one as a farm tractor. It'd carry anything anywhere.

I remember fondly doing my Drivers licence test in one in the streets of hilly Hobart. I nearly had a fit when the tester said now do a reverse park into that space. Handbrake start reversing backwards up a Hobart Hill into a parking spot in a 16TS was a challenge and a half for a learner. One hand on stickeing the column gears into reverse, one hand on the handbrake and flip top head to look out the back window. Geez kids dunno how easy the test is these days.
    Cheers...Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEEE View Post
    Don't look at me - I've only got autos left now!
    See what you've started Mikeee!
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

safety features are great but nothing in my opinion is more important than driver training

prevention has always proven to be better than the cure or lack of
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Totally agree. When I used to drive from central NSW's back to Woodend in my R10 frequently, I never had a fatigue problem. When I got a 'modern car' a fuego and other makes I had to stop every two hours as I would micro sleep. The 16's we had never let us down and we never got a sore backside from hard modern seats. I actually believe that there would exist a market for a simple modern car with the safety features but no computer management etc- the 16TS went fine and as fast as the law lets you go anyway.

cheers
    Geoff

P.S As well as using the 16 to tow the plough we used it to collect and cart the Hay bales. Can you fit eight hay bales into your clio?

1000+ Posts

I had an R16 TL on my farm. Pull a plough in my soil I doubt, but we had it filled with tools, shovels and the like as well as a ton of bits for our extensive irrigation systems. Lunch time a heap of workers would climb in and over all the bits to get a ride back to the shed for lunch. The guys liked driving it. The soft long travel suspension made it ideal for farm work.

Well the French have found a safe use for R16s
    Stock Car Racing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma1uHZHLgRs
    There go all the spares
    Also notice the upside down car in the middle of the track..... He must be from Down Under

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Hi Paul

I have Feb 17 on my calendar but the 'handbrake' is becoming sticky!! I was going to do it in my rare and rusty (I mean trusty) 15TS!

Alastair

Default Stock car racing

Well the French have found a safe use for R16s
    Stock Car Racing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma1uHZHLgRs
    There go all the spares
    Also notice the upside down car in the middle of the track..... He must be from Down Under
    About 25 years ago I sold one of my old and almost dead 16ts' to a fella who said he was going to use it in local smash up derby as he liked the idea of the gearbox infront of the engine as he believed he could use it as a weapon. I'd imagine that he would need a way to push the radiator back I've got no idea how he went.

Fellow Frogger!

How many times does the guy in #94 roll the thing and still keep going? I counted 4 at least!

Fellow Frogger!

Also go to the link to Pug 104s at the same event! The toreadors in the red shirts are worth a look, there is also a link to Ren 5s at that venue. What a hoot!

Thread Information