Getting a Renault Floride back on the road...
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Getting a Renault Floride back on the road...

Hello there,

Thanks for having me on your website. It's my first time here, although I have had my car for 7 years. The poor old girl has been mostly sitting under my carport following a restoration carried out by her previous owner and now needs some help to get back on the road. Apparently she was put over the pits in 2002 and is still licensed. She has been started up periodically and still runs OK, but has some problems with her ignition barrel (which needs replacing).

A friend of mine is very kindly helping me to get her back on the road with a service as well as flushing out the radiator and changing/cleaning hoses, changing her fuel lines and fresh fuel and bleeding the brakes and servicing the brakes as needed. The problem is, to do the latter we need to jack her up and .. I can't remember where the jack is supposed to be placed! I know this is very important and do not want to take any chances, so I would be very grateful if anybody could shed some light on this for me.

Frankie is a 1964 Floride S. I haven't seen too many of this model around and it seems to be a transition model between the Floride and the Caravelle. I have ordered a workshop manual (intereurope service manual 124 for R8 Floride/Caravelle from 1962) and I'm waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully this manual will be what I need- but if anybody can suggest a better text to follow then please feel free.

Thank you for your time.

Advertisement

Best regards,

Siobhan McNabb.

Welcome aboard AF's. The ignition switch can get sticky, so try puffing powdered graphite into the switch through the keyhole to see if that frees things up. Also there is an internal spring that fails, so the switch sticks in the starting position, and needs to be clicked back to the ignition on position when it fires. Also the contact at the base of the switch can be problematic. If the steering lock/ignition switch is OK, the contact switch at the base can be replaced separately.

For jacking the car up, make sure the doors remain closed at all times, as the body structure is relatively flexible. A jack can be placed under the front crossmember (the portion of the body where the lower wishbones are attached to) do not place the jack under the front wishbone to lift the car.

To lift the side of the car, look underneath the car just to the rear of the doors to find the crossmember running from one side of the car to the other. You can place the jack where the crossmember intersects with the chassis rails running from the front to the rear of the car. If you are using the scissor type jack supplied with the car, instead of something like a trolley jack (a trolley jack is preferable), there will be points under the sill of the car where it should be placed in the same area. Also, don't work under the car when it is supported by the jack alone, support the car with axle stands before commencing work.

Also, just make doubly sure that the area that you are jacking under isn't affected by rust. Sometimes the chassis rails can rust from the inside out, so commence jacking the car carefully first to make sure you are jacking under a solid area.

For the useless info file, just to confirm it is a Floride S. Inside the boot on the bulkhead of the car, there will be an oval shaped plate, if the model designation is R1131, it is confirmed as a Floride S. One of the nicest, having the soft top with the curved hardtop, as well as the four wheel disc brakes.
    Last edited by Simon; 18th January 2013 at 11:45 PM.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0007.jpg 
Views:	1294 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	38790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0008.jpg 
Views:	1465 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	38791
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I'll be in Perth tomorrow night, and are free after the football from 9pm, if it's not to late I'd love to come over and take a look, send a PM with contact number if your available.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

One of the European suppliers has new ignition switches - i think it was the german site - Franzose:
    http://www.franzose.de/en/Renault/Heckmotor/

Edit - Ichard has them:
    http://www.ichard.fr/neiman-avec-cle...b4441f7ca8f2b3

But you could probably get a secondhand one from french connection or someone off here?

KB
    KB

Tadpole

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the welcome : ) The steering lock has been removed, so I don't think it is going to be a staightforward replacement. I think the old barrel was beyond repair, sparks would come flying from the barrel (or behind it?) and the lock was so loose that the key would fall out. It would be great to replace with original parts, so we will see how we go.

Thanks also for the advice regarding jacking. I will check for the plate to confirm the model. She came with a hardtop as well as soft top so I am very lucky.

Best regards,

Siobhan.

Tadpole

Hello 59 Floride,

Thank you for the diagrams. They are fantastic! I'm not sure if they correlate to Frankie exactly, as she has her radiator at the front -make that the back ; ) of the engine. Basically it is the opposite to what the car shown here has, with no side vents. Your thoughts, if you could be so kind? Where ever did you get such pretty diagrams from?

Best regards,

Siobhan.

Tadpole

Hello John,

Sorry I didn't get back to you in time. It would be great to meet you and look over Frankie together. Are you a West Aussie? The car is actually out in Gidgegannup, which is a fair drive from Perth central (1 1/2 hours). Let me know if you will be around any other time and perhaps you could visit, or else I could send you some pictures?

Best regards,

Siobhan.

p.s.- your animated signature is hilarious.

Best regards,

Siobhan.

Tadpole

Hello KB,

Thank you very much for those links. The original switches look gorgeous. I am not sure how we will proceed from here, as there is no steering lock on the car and it looks a little messy. Do you have any links for steering locks or other components that we may need for the ignition rebuild? Have you rebuilt or replaced a Floride ignition yourself?

Best regards,

Siobhan.

Hi Siobhan,

Welcome to Aussiefrogs, the drawings came from the R1092 manual. I also have R1131 manuals which would cover your car I would think, what Is your oval plate number??

Most information you need will be readily available from one of us Renault tragics just for the asking. Good luck with Frankie...
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by Missnabb View Post
    Hello there,

Thanks for having me on your website. It's my first time here, although I have had my car for 7 years. The poor old girl has been mostly sitting under my carport following a restoration carried out by her previous owner and now needs some help to get back on the road. Apparently she was put over the pits in 2002 and is still licensed. She has been started up periodically and still runs OK, but has some problems with her ignition barrel (which needs replacing).

A friend of mine is very kindly helping me to get her back on the road with a service as well as flushing out the radiator and changing/cleaning hoses, changing her fuel lines and fresh fuel and bleeding the brakes and servicing the brakes as needed. The problem is, to do the latter we need to jack her up and .. I can't remember where the jack is supposed to be placed! I know this is very important and do not want to take any chances, so I would be very grateful if anybody could shed some light on this for me.

Frankie is a 1964 Floride S. I haven't seen too many of this model around and it seems to be a transition model between the Floride and the Caravelle. I have ordered a workshop manual (intereurope service manual 124 for R8 Floride/Caravelle from 1962) and I'm waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully this manual will be what I need- but if anybody can suggest a better text to follow then please feel free.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Siobhan McNabb.
    Hi Siobhan,

I'm ten minutes away so PM me and we'll organise a visit.

There is one place for the jack with a conspicuous fitting point at each side, just ahead of the rear wheels, and you should keep the doors closed.

Have you joined the Renault 4CV Register of Australia yet?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    I'll be in Perth tomorrow night, and are free after the football from 9pm, if it's not to late I'd love to come over and take a look, send a PM with contact number if your available.
    Must catch up sometime John. When are you next in Perth after tonight?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hello John,Sorry I didn't get back to you in time. It would be great to meet you and look over Frankie together. Are you a West Aussie? The car is actually out in Gidgegannup, which is a fair drive from Perth central (1 1/2 hours). Let me know if you will be around any other time and perhaps you could visit, or else I could send you some pictures?Best regards,Siobhan.p.s.- your animated signature is hilarious.Best regards,Siobhan.
    No I'm not a West aussie, a Victorian from Melbourne, that's why I went to watch Melb beat Perth last night.I work in Collie WA for 28 days straight then go home for a week in Melb (FIFO) and have been here for a year next month.I own two Florides in Melb and I bought one here in WA which I'm trying to fix up before we finish up so I can drive it home.Collie being 2/2.5 hours away depending which part of Perth you go to, Frankie is 2.5 away as well, I could come up after work next time you go there, but we finish at 5'ish every day which would mean getting there around 7:30pm. There is a parts car down here in the south west but it doesn't have an original steering column hence nor a correct barrel.Post some pic's on here as many would like to see it, I've only ever seen one floride S in person and one for sale in Adelaide many years ago which had in big writting down the side FLORIDE S. (Simon, do you remember this car or what ever happened to it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Must catch up sometime John. When are you next in Perth after tonight?Cheers
    John, you name the day and the place, be it home, out for drink or dinner and I'll come up to Perth, any excuse to get me out of Collie. Same as above though, I wouldn't get there until 7:30 on any given day as we work seven days a week.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Tadpole

Hello all,

I'm sorry to have been absent from the site for so long. This recent period of my life has been one of the busiest so I'm afraid Frankie was put on the back burner for a while. I'm pleased to report she is now being worked on by a good Renault mechanic here in Perth and it hopefully won't be too long before I can get her back on the road.
    However, we have unfortunately discovered some horrible truths. There is a crack in the engine block and it appears that combustion gas is getting into the cooling system...
    Does anybody know where I might be able to get a suitable engine? I would like to keep her as original as possible and I believe she is a Floride S. Her oval plate number is R1131 12-9-48.
    I am in the process of joining the Renault 4CV register. I will add my car's details to the Floride post on Aussie frogs too when I have some nice pictures of her.

Best regards,

Siobhan.

1000+ Posts

If it is an original Floride S engine block it will have the number 689 - 3 on the aluminium engine plate. They were 956 cc. The cracked engine block was a standard fault with them and they were always replaced with a 688 block. I have two of these R1131 cars and both have had their blocks replaced. The original block will be green. The later 688 block will nearly always be black. (There were some early ones that were green.) Just replace the block with an 688 block (and the 1108cc pistons and liners) but keep all the rest such as the head etc as it should be what is referred to as an 8 port head. These 688 engine blocks should still be fairly easy to come by. If you have the correct gearbox, a 318, then it too can have a common fault where a crown wheel bolt falls out and jams between the crown wheel and the case bottom cracking it. The Renault service notes say to put a dob of weld on each bolt head to stop them coming undone. If the gearbox is cracked and you want to keep it original, seal the crack with Devcon (drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it going further). The alternative is replace the 318 with a 330. One of my cars has had the mods done the other has had a 330 fitted. I like original and despite the 318 not having synchro on 1st 2nd gear and a lower final drive I would bring mine 2nd car back to original if I could find a 318 replacement for the 330 box. My car gives me a smile every time I drive it. Particularly with the hood down. They are great to drive although you need to get used to the heavy brake after a modern car. Good luck. Rob

Tadpole

Hello Rob,

Thanks for all of your input. It was very helpful. Do you have photos of your cars up on this site somewhere?

1131 12948 would be August 62 and a FlorideS if it's the slanted hard top with a soft top. Put some pic's up.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Probably just confirm that it is actually a cracked block. Thing is, if combustion gas is getting into the cooling system, it is possibly a few things other than a cracked block. Such as a blown head gasket, corrosion of the aluminium cylinder head, or a cracked liner, if it is either of these, the block may be fine and the engine may just need either a rebuilt or refurbish. The motors are what is termed a wet-liner motor, where the pistons run in separate sleeves or liners fitted in the block. If a liner is cracked or worn, they can be replaced separately from the block.

Then again, if the block is cracked (or has "grown" as some do), it would have run out of coolant, potentially blowing the head gasket causing combustion gas to enter the cooling system :-)

If it does turn out the block is cracked, and you do replace the motor, make sure you also get the matching engine to gearbox mounting plates, as they can vary with the later type engines having different mounting points on the side of the block.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Hello Rob,

Thanks for all of your input. It was very helpful. Do you have photos of your cars up on this site somewhere?
    Floride/Caravelle Register

Tadpole

What a lovely car. It is a great colour. My family used to have a Volvo 164SE in a very similar colour. She was a beauty.

Tadpole

Thanks for your post Simon. The block is definately cracked. I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me. I have an OK understanding of how humans work, but cars and their parts are still shrouded in mystery.

Tadpole

I will I will. I've been meaning to PM you too John, but I don't know how to. Despite this website being particularly sophisticated and having impressive security.. I haven't stumbled across the message system yet..

Thread Information