R10 rear brake upgrade options
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default R10 rear brake upgrade options

Has anyone here ever changed the rear brakes on an R8 or R10 to something modern. I known that BrettR has done front and Steve Swan have both done both front and rear but his caliper choice is a bit over kill, he even said that himself.

If anyone has done this how did you go about attaching the rear brake bracket as the original setup has the support plate under the bearing retainer so swapping it out with something else means it would have to be a similar thickness. I know you can take caliper support part off the plate off but it really doesn't look strong enough, I'm guessing it is.

I'm just exploring options at the moment for front and rear brakes.

Advertisement

This mod has been done by me and can be seen by following this link.
    I would think twice by just modifying the rears because you then start fooling around with front/rear ratios.
    With this mod you end up with 16TS front rotors and calipers with competition pads freely available, and Fuego Turbo rear calipers and 16TS rear rotors. It is a mod that can be acquired from Mecaparts and proven through the years.

Big Brake Conversion for R8/R10 A110

Regards
    Frans

PS The link takes you to P2 of the thread where the rear brakes are discussed. Page back to P1 for fronts.
    Last edited by Frans; 16th January 2013 at 05:22 AM.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Frans. I'm not going to be racing this car, well not planning on so I don't think I'm going to need massive rear brakes. Steve got back to me and says the Citroen brakes are a bit big unless you are racing. I like your method of caliper mounting, I'll explore this a bit further and I think it'll be possible to retain the R10 rear rotors and use different calipers.

Of course I may just abandon this and leave the rear brakes alone but if there are two ways to do something I usually do it the hard way.... I like a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by c.lees View Post
    Thanks Frans. I'm not going to be racing this car, well not planning on so I don't think I'm going to need massive rear brakes. Steve got back to me and says the Citroen brakes are a bit big unless you are racing. I like your method of caliper mounting, I'll explore this a bit further and I think it'll be possible to retain the R10 rear rotors and use different calipers.

Of course I may just abandon this and leave the rear brakes alone but if there are two ways to do something I usually do it the hard way.... I like a challenge.
    I thought about messing with my R10 brakes too but really, the original brakes are pretty damn good. Especially if you consider Frans and Ross raced their little rockets successfully on them for a long time before upgrading them! Some people on here delete the rear proportioning valve to increase rear braking as these can tend to lock the fronts under heavy braking. My car locks the fronts if I do an emergency stop or just hooning through the hills if i'm not carefull, so when I get to it, i'll be deleting mine too. I mean I imagine if I was hooning through the hills, they may lock under heavy braking
    Last edited by J-man; 16th January 2013 at 10:47 AM.
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    I thought about messing with my R10 brakes too but really, the original brakes are pretty damn good. Especially if you consider Frans and Ross raced their little rockets successfully on them for a long time before upgrading them! Some people on here delete the rear proportioning valve to increase rear braking as these can tend to lock the fronts under heavy braking. My car locks the fronts if I do an emergency stop or just hooning through the hills if i'm not carefull, so when I get to it, i'll be deleting mine too. I mean I imagine if I was hooning through the hills, they may lock under heavy braking
    My experience removing the limiting valve was more progressive braking with lower pedal pressures. Replacing rear rotors two years later revealed more rear pad wear than expected, consistent with more action at the rear. Good result.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    My experience removing the limiting valve was more progressive braking with lower pedal pressures. Replacing rear rotors two years later revealed more rear pad wear than expected, consistent with more action at the rear. Good result.
    You've got me convinced John
    cheers,

John

Thread Information