R8/10 Brake Parts
  • Help

Default R8/10 Brake Parts

I'm about to embark on a major brake rebuild on the Green R8 and are busy compiling parts from various o/s suppliers - as none were available locally from where I tried.

Advertisement

I've searched the forum and while I can see posts about square versus round seals etc, this basic question doesn't seem to have been answered:

Am I correct in saying that the front seals should be 38mm ID and the rears 32mm?

I've bought a 19mm master cylinder and a set of square 32mm seals (part numbers MP2901 and MP3004 from Mecaparts) but the 38mm are not available so I'll need to chase them from somewhere else, so I just want to confirm I get my front and rears correct when speaking to suppliers.

My car is an R1132 chassis 318xxx so it seems the square type seals are correct.

I've also bought front and rear hoses but they have already been sorted from Mecaparts.

Thanks
    KB
    KB

"Am I correct in saying that the front seals should be 38mm ID and the rears 32mm?"

Kev, I just measured my spare set of R10 calipers and they are as stated above.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Thanks Graham,
    Looks like I might need to chase Jacques for the front seals then.

Since your the procurerer of cheap seals - do you have any sources locally for these brake parts?
    KB
    KB

No Mate, I always like to be in control of what spares I will need and just watch ebay all the time and grab something when it comes up at my price, freight is often the killer.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

1000+ Posts

Hi

I have a set of fronts seals I bought from Jacques last year.

I will need them but not for a while. If your need is urgent get Jacques to send me a set and I'll ship mine to you.

That said postage from the US is pretty fast. If you are getting them from Jacques get him to take the parts out of the boxes and ship them in an envelope - it'll save you a few shekels in freight.

All the best

Peter
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Fellow Frogger!

G/DAY KB
    I got my last set of seals (piston not dust ) by taking the old ones to an old better brakes store and they were able to match them up for me.
    Cheers Peter.

Have you tried Power Brakes?

http://www.powerbrakes.com.au/
    cheers,

John

Thanks to both Peters.

I've already placed an order with Jacques this afternoon, but since it is after hrs San Diego time, he won't see it until tomorrow. The other parts left Mecaparts yesterday, so I still have to wait for them regardless. I won't pull the car apart until I have all the bits, so your generous offer Exfrogger isn't needed, but Thank You anyway. I can wait until the postman arrives from the respective places.

John - I didn't try them. Are they the ones who advertise master cylinder rebuilds in the Classic Car mags? I just clicked the link you provided and they don't have any listings for renault.

KB
    KB

Yes KB, they more than likely are. They sleeve the cylinders with stainless steel. It was no issue for parts at all when they overhauled my R10 m/cylinder. They're normally reasonably priced too.
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I'm about to embark on a major brake rebuild on the Green R8 and are busy compiling parts from various o/s suppliers - as none were available locally from where I tried.

I've searched the forum and while I can see posts about square versus round seals etc, this basic question doesn't seem to have been answered:

Thanks
    KB
    I'm presuming you are OK with the round versus square matter? AFAIK it simply doesn't matter but I'd not mix them from side to side, and the callipers have a mark showing which seals were used when it was new.

I always keep sets of seals in stock as you never know what will be hard to get at short notice.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I'm presuming you are OK with the round versus square matter? AFAIK it simply doesn't matter but I'd not mix them from side to side, and the callipers have a mark showing which seals were used when it was new.

I always keep sets of seals in stock as you never know what will be hard to get at short notice.

Cheers
    Hi John,
    I searched for and read the fourms beforehand. In my spares box I have a few round seals around which suggests that mine used the square seal. These days with Jacques you have to specify which type, but I'm pretty sure the kits before used to give you both types of seals in a kit. So I have ordered square section seals, but even if the worst happens, I should have at least one full set of round seals on hand anyhow.

Jacques doesn't have front sqaure section seals in stock at present (he has only one set in fact) but he is expecting more in within a week according to an email last night.

I have a sets of rears and a new master cylinder on their way from Mecaparts.

With 2 R8's and an R10 I think I might have to do what yourself and graham do and start stocking a few more spares!

KB
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Hi John,
    I searched for and read the fourms beforehand. In my spares box I have a few round seals around which suggests that mine used the square seal. These days with Jacques you have to specify which type, but I'm pretty sure the kits before used to give you both types of seals in a kit. So I have ordered square section seals, but even if the worst happens, I should have at least one full set of round seals on hand anyhow.

Jacques doesn't have front sqaure section seals in stock at present (he has only one set in fact) but he is expecting more in within a week according to an email last night.

I have a sets of rears and a new master cylinder on their way from Mecaparts.

With 2 R8's and an R10 I think I might have to do what yourself and graham do and start stocking a few more spares!

KB
    it makes life easier. I honestly don't think it matters which seals go in which calliper. I've used square ones for ever, myself.

Don't hesitate to email if you ever need anything in a hurry, and I can send if I'm home if I have it. Hoses are easy, as the local brake place can fabricate them more or less while I wait. I tried Argentinian ones and they cracked within 2 years.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I tried Argentinian ones and they cracked within 2 years.
    I'm not surprised John. When I saw the Argentinian version of the Ford Falcon for 1985 was a face lifted 1965 XP Falcon with plastic bumpers and TF Cortina tail lights and head lights, the mind boggled!
    cheers,

John

Thread Information