R16TS Exhaust Manifold !!
  • Help

Default R16TS Exhaust Manifold !!

Now that I have a R16 project on the go, I have been searching my archives for a picture of my Yellow cars exhaust. To no avail. Then out of the blue the guy we gave the car to when we left ZA contacted me, and he still has the car. So I had him take pictures of the manifold to give me ideas for the new one. This worked very well, and my notes tell me there was only one pipe a bit too short, 38mm and the other 3 were 15mm difference.

So I thought I would share ideas with the forum.

Take care,
    Ray

Advertisement

R16TS Exhaust Manifold !!-r16ts-exhaust-1.jpgR16TS Exhaust Manifold !!-r16ts-exhaust-2.jpg
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Now that I have a R16 project on the go, I have been searching my archives for a picture of my Yellow cars exhaust. To no avail. Then out of the blue the guy we gave the car to when we left ZA contacted me, and he still has the car. So I had him take pictures of the manifold to give me ideas for the new one. This worked very well, and my notes tell me there was only one pipe a bit too short, 38mm and the other 3 were 15mm difference.

Take care,
    Ray

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R16Ts Exhaust 1.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	38443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R16Ts Exhaust 2.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	38444

Wow thats a manifold and a half.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Renault Australia extractor system used on the works 16TS rally cars? It was described as doing a lap the engine bay before disappearing underneath.

That strut brace you've got in there is a beauty Ray. Whats that made from, a section of train track.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Hi Dave,
    Exactly that, that is the "rough terrain" equipment ordered for the Southern African kits supplied by France. The north African and south American cars were the same. The bodies were built slightly different as well with added parts for stiffening. This can be seem in small places on the TX body I have now, that came via ZA, and my TS body I have in storage. That is why after a bit of development my Yellow car was so durable, it took a real hammering, and is still very workable today.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Exactly that, that is the "rough terrain" equipment ordered for the Southern African kits supplied by France.
    If you can find R1151 oval plate number 230141, which was a special order vehicle, it will also have the same equipment.

Also the stronger crossmember was specified to be installed by the dealers when airconditioning was fitted.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Take care,
    Ray

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R16Ts Exhaust 1.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	38443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R16Ts Exhaust 2.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	38444
    Great manifold Ray. I like the solution to run it through the inner wing panel. From there I assume it went over the top wishbone and down the R/H Scuttle side? I assume your building a sort of replica of your old SA R16. Are you increasing the power of your TX engine.?

Sarosa,
    No I am not replicating the Yellow car, more towards the White car, but also turning it into a slight modern custom. It will be lowered, with the nice Dunlop mags cleaned polished and painted. Full underside, wheel arches and engine compartment done in high gloss industrial epoxy, mid grey. Coloured suspension (tasteful). Rebuilt 16TX motor, with mild cam, R19 fuel injection, multipoint, and engine management. A copy and upgrade of the above manifold. Custom cloth and vinyl interior, mid grey and multi coloured cloth panels (red and blue mainly). Lower part of body Mazda metalic blue, and bright white pearl white top of car. Modern shaped bumpers, all lights LED, and HID conversion on main headlights.

Exhaust goes into wheel well and through suspension between upper control arm and driveshaft, 45deg down to under floor then 45deg to level and to centre of car to go where normal exaust runs. As it straightens under drivers LH foot, I put a flex joint. It also had a exhaust hanger just as it was sloping down to go under the floor. Never had any joint problems in 6 years driving. 2" down till under floor and then 1 7/8" all the way to back with a '85 holden/opel 2 pass silencer next to fuel tank at back. Good quiet sound.

Take Care,
    Ray
    Ray geckoeng

This photo was in an article in Aust Motor Sports and Automobiles, February, 1970 about the preparation of the cars for the national and state championship rallies.

Bob G

Name:  R16TS Manifold.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  51.2 KB

Thread Information