Timing belt change for Renault Megane 08
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Timing belt change for Renault Megane 08

Yes I've done the searches, and found the horror stories (from the UK) of timing belts crapping themselves before the 100k is reaches.

I have the opposite problem, this is a Sep 08 (purchase date) Megane with 57k on the dial. It is past the 4 year cutoff for a timing belt change. This service is timing belt + services belt + cams and pulleys, yes?

In another thread this is described as a $1200+ service. Is this correct? I'm not best pleased, as the last service was shockingly expensive -- did the 60k service, on time rather than distance, and they said the back shocks were leaking oil and needed to be replaced. Ouch.

If I ask "should I bother getting this changed now or closer to 100k" I know the answer will be "don't be a bloody fool, do the service as the damage from a broken belt is horrendous" .. but ..

Should I bother getting this changed now or closer to 100k?

Advertisement

The UK threads I read (mainly about early 2000 Megane and Scenic models) also talked about changing the water pump at the same time -- as it is convenient to change at the same time. Anyone know if the water pump is prone to failure? Should I ask the mechanic to check for signs of coolant leak and replace if so?

Thanks

The timing belt tensioner is designed to last the life of the motor, the timing belt itself rarely seems to cause a problem. However, the timing belt idler pulleys are plastic in construction with a bearing at their centre, these seem to be the weak link (apart from technician error on replacing the belt itself). When a belt is past its replacement date, the pulleys themselves are on borrowed time, and can fail through getting brittle, age related illness, or moon phase. So decide which is cheaper, replacing the damage caused by not replacing the belt, or taking the hit and replacing the belt itself (which appears to be a gamble in itself, depending on the talent of the technicians involved).

The other party trick can be that the accessory belt fails, this flails around, in some cases snagging the cambelt and causing it to jump its teeth. So also replace the accessory belt at the same time.

The water pump is easier to replace whilst it is all apart, the main problem seems to be that the seal starts to weep at four years old, even if the coolant has apparently been regularly replaced. Again for peace of mind, it is best replaced at the same time as the timing and accessory belts.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thanks for the reply. Any idea on costs I will be looking at?

You imply it is particularly important that this be done by a competent mechanic. Is there anything to look out for post-install to indicate a bad job? Squealing belts etc?

For a Megane, your estimate doesn't sound too far out as a dealer price. Just thank yourself you bought a Megane and not an RS Clio, which is a lot more expensive.

Given everything is covered in, it is hard to see if it is done properly. Just check for uneven running or any other oddities such as squealing belts. However it can just be a case of just driving along, then pop, it goes. No explanation of how or why it happens not long after it has been replaced.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Rang a mob here in Canberra (not a dealer, but a Renault approved mechanic) and they said $2200 for a timing belt service!

Bloody hell!

I will be consulting other mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by aidan View Post
    Rang a mob here in Canberra (not a dealer, but a Renault approved mechanic) and they said $2200 for a timing belt service!

Bloody hell!

I will be consulting other mechanics.
    That seems a bit much - we got ours done a couple of years ago at a dealer in South East Queensland for around a grand (including a services as well)
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Just had a Scenic and a Clio belt replacement in last 3 months (TG LagIII has diesel & chain) - both 2nd times (Scenic @140k & Clio at 85k) - local dealer strongly recommends to "not exceed the time limit" on a low mileage vehicle - my costs were about $1150/car but both included service as well

Your local Renault dealer(s?) will give you a standard quote combined with any of the services (or not) - why not see them first

Freddie

Fellow Frogger!

Renault had a 'special' on timing belts at $800 all up. Mainly for older models (10 years) I think. Don't know it it still applies now.

I had cylinder head, pistons and valves on my Scenic destroyed by local Renault dealer who insisted that I would not be able to do the work myself as it needed 'trained professionals' like themselves to do it properly. Repair cost them plenty (I hope) and a three week wait for me. Car was never the same after that debacle.

A word of warning about time vs distance: Heed the 4 year time limit rather than distance! That is because your odometer only records distance when the wheels are turning, whereas the engine keeps on working and wearing while you are stationary in traffic. In stop-start city traffic this adds a huge amount of unrecorded wear that is often overlooked. That is why all car companies impose time limits as well as distance to service intervals. Water pumps should last two timing belt changes.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll definitely be shopping around. And good point on the "unrecorded" wear, though being in Canberra this is probably not as bad as it would be in bad Sydney traffic.

1000+ Posts

On the Laguna, the actual cost of the belts is not expensive, its all the other parts of the idler kits and SKF bearings that make up the expense. If you are doing the early change due to time based replacement, its the belts that are the weak link on that first service, as the rubber deteriorates over time, but be absolutely sure to factor in belts and kit for the next early change.

Now if you do the full kit change now, make sure you get the replaced kit, as your mechanic may be able to reuse that kit with just new belts on the next change. I always ask for the removed mechanical parts, as I like to see their condition.

Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by 2353 View Post
    That seems a bit much - we got ours done a couple of years ago at a dealer in South East Queensland for around a grand (including a services as well)
    Yep about the same here as well, might have been $1100 including service
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    On the Laguna, the actual cost of the belts is not expensive, its all the other parts of the idler kits and SKF bearings that make up the expense. If you are doing the early change due to time based replacement, its the belts that are the weak link on that first service, as the rubber deteriorates over time, but be absolutely sure to factor in belts and kit for the next early change.

Now if you do the full kit change now, make sure you get the replaced kit, as your mechanic may be able to reuse that kit with just new belts on the next change. I always ask for the removed mechanical parts, as I like to see their condition.

Ken.
    Pulleys can be treated the same as belts in these circumstances - they're plastic these days and subject to deterioration over time like the rubber of a belt...

I'm doing my 07' Megane in Febuary - at 25,000kms. I'll do the pump as well as belt and tensioners.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Pulleys can be treated the same as belts in these circumstances - they're plastic these days and subject to deterioration over time like the rubber of a belt...

I'm doing my 07' Megane in Febuary - at 25,000kms. I'll do the pump as well as belt and tensioners.
    Ah well that is automotive engineering progress for you, the original bearing and idler kit that came out of the Laguna at 60,000 km is still in pristine condition, bearings tested o.k. too, I have two later changes of kit, that I definately would not reuse, due to signs or wear and tear as they did the full 100,000 km.

If the wife buys a new car (she does the most km's) I might try and squeeze 40,000 out of the old kit when it comes around time for change.

I agree with your proposal to fully change out your megane kit!! most of my changes have been in the $900 something dollar range.

Ken.

A thread like this would have never existed in the Good Old Days when Holden "Red Motors" were the vogue

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    A thread like this would have never existed in the Good Old Days when Holden "Red Motors" were the vogue
    Or with the R16 motors.
    John

Not sure its worth the brain damage - especially with your V6. The bits are not that expensive.

Glad mine will "only" cost me a weekend and a few hundred for parts and the special tool... Most of the dollars are in labour - not a difficult job, just time consuming.

Renault engines are apparently "kind" to their belts and have a much greater margin than say an Opel Astra. I'd probably suggest 6 years and 50,000km would be ok - but my Megane is an 07 reg, late 05 build... Over 7 years old, so will be pulling it all out asap. Was sorta comfortable leaving it in there the last 6 months from the 14,000kms I bought it at, but no need to push my luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Ah well that is automotive engineering progress for you, the original bearing and idler kit that came out of the Laguna at 60,000 km is still in pristine condition, bearings tested o.k. too, I have two later changes of kit, that I definately would not reuse, due to signs or wear and tear as they did the full 100,000 km.

If the wife buys a new car (she does the most km's) I might try and squeeze 40,000 out of the old kit when it comes around time for change.

I agree with your proposal to fully change out your megane kit!! most of my changes have been in the $900 something dollar range.

Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMasefield View Post
    Or with the R16 motors.
    John
    Or with most new cars - timing belts are being replaced by chains again.

I had a timing belt done by Colliers in sydney for $1100, including the water pump. At least that way you get the coolant changed as well. Dealers quoted about $1200 without the water pump. If you don't want the expensive service costs, don't buy a euro car. My daughter wrote my megane off, now I have a mazda3, no timing belt and any mechanic can repair it. I had to go to Sydney every time the megane needed repairs. (the megane was a much better car but not practical for owning in a country town).
    Renault Megane sedan dCi 1.9 2007

David Brown 1973 885 synchromesh tractor.

Mitsubishi Lancer 1995

Honda sh150i scooter 2008

Fellow Frogger!

After all the Ooh La La's there is always heartbreak

Alain

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMasefield View Post
    Or with the R16 motors.
    John
    Bring back pushrods I say!

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Bring back pushrods I say!

Dave
    I'm sure I put a new timing chain and new tensioner on the R8 when I last touched the engine in 1988. Since then all it has had mechanically is a few tappet adjustments and many oil and filter changes. Nothing else and nothing else needed.

Coming back to the thread, personally I've never taken the slightest short cut with cam belts (Peugeot 306 for 18 years and Citroen Xantia for 10 years). Both have had belts and associated stuff changed meticulously. Cheap insurance. Not done at dealers, but good independent operators and I've never worried about what they charged - get a good service place and trust them has been my approach.

The discussion about time and running time vs kilometres hasn't mentioned that these reinforced rubber bands are extremely tight, year after year. This tension is applied ALL THE TIME. If you commute, for example, an hour each way, that means that the engine is running for less than 10% of the time, so 90% of the time the belt just sits, but still fully tensioned. So I'd follow the time criterion for sure. It's all a bit subjective, as the manufacturers have changed their service recommendations over time and for different places, but I'd be conservative.

Having said all that, $2K sounds more than a bit too much for the Renault that started the thread.
    Last edited by JohnW; 8th January 2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Not as clear as intended!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

Citroën CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Yeah, it's just the Holden fibre timing gear that goes pop, leaving the car just as immobile (and heavier to push out of the way) than a Renault with lunched timing equipment.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Or with most new cars - timing belts are being replaced by chains again.
    I never go long enough between pulling my motor out to worry about the use by date of timing belts, but every time I pull up next to an older v6 crummydoor, I think to myself, "gee. I'm glad my engine doesn't make a horrible rattle noise like theirs does".

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I never go long enough between pulling my motor out to worry about the use by date of timing belts, but every time I pull up next to an older v6 crummydoor, I think to myself, "gee. I'm glad my engine doesn't make a horrible rattle noise like theirs does".

Jo
    The older V6 is a remarkably long lived push rod, cast iron block/cast iron head Buick dinosaur that dates back to the early 1970s. They were a good thing, even if they did always leak oil from the main seal, despite what they did to engineer the problem out.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

The only advantage with the Holden boat anchor was that when the fibre timing gear disintergrated was that it didn't lunch the motor
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information