2002 Scenic running rough...
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 2002 Scenic running rough...

I have a 2002 Renault Scenic that is running rough. It coughs and splutters and loses power when driving. Yesterday I washed the car and used the hose to clear out some leaves in the engine bay, the problem started immediately after...

Advertisement

I just took it for a run then, same thing, at idle it sounds like an old veedub with that distinctive popping, then when driving will lose power like its misfiring when accelerating. will run smooth then start up rough again.

Wife's car and I'm not going to hear the end of it if its something major.

Did you get some water in the electrics?
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Tadpole

Could have... but not sure where to start looking at that or if I should...

Sounds like coil packs and/or water in the plug wells. In the latter, push some paper towels down the plug wells (after removing the coils) to absorb the water and if necessary remove the plugs and give them a clean. Any residual water will drain onto the piston crowns and will be dealt with smartly after you fire it up. Some WD40 will displace residual water.

If you find the plug wells are full of oil it means oil is leaking from the cambox seals. It costs a lot of money (in labour) to repair so you can get a six month fix by simply mopping up the oil and cleaning the plugs (just like you did with the water). More smoke upon start up with oil though... In six months you can repeat the process...

Common enough problem on the K engines.

Dave
    Last edited by 68 404; 6th January 2013 at 12:45 PM.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi estate
    2013 Renault Koleos 2.0 dCi 4WD
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Try leaving the car out in the sun with bonnet open, may dry things out

Tadpole

The prize goes to....68 404!

So I took out the coils and sure enough there was water in to of the plug wells, wasn't able to remove the plugs (didn't have a long enough socket extension) but packed in some chux and tamped down with a skewer and put the coils back in..voila! Car starts and run smoothly enough, a bit of residual murmur so the plugs might need replacing at the service later this month...
    Thanks everyone

BTW I found this youtube clip as a bit of a tutorialhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnXhjPKIahI

Quote Originally Posted by markle View Post

So I took out the coils and sure enough there was water in to of the plug wells, wasn't able to remove the plugs (didn't have a long enough socket extension) but packed in some chux and tamped down with a skewer and put the coils back in..voila! Car starts and run smoothly enough, a bit of residual murmur so the plugs might need replacing at the service later this month...
    Thanks everyone

BTW I found this youtube clip as a bit of a tutorialhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnXhjPKIahI
    I was laughing at the thought of leaving a car outside in Melbourne to dry but I guess this month that would work! Good it is fixed.

And of course a "residual murmur" is the sort of thing that might have been there before but up until then you had no reason to listen carefully for it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by markle View Post

Thanks everyone

Great that it was an easy fix and thanks for the courtesy of acknowledgement!

If you buy a cheap 1/4" socket set you will find you can access the plugs. 3/8 ones are too big (as you have found out).

Cheers, Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi estate
    2013 Renault Koleos 2.0 dCi 4WD
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Thread Information