Engine Number location on Turbo Fuego?
  • Help

Default Engine Number location on Turbo Fuego?

Just having some difficulty trying to locate the engine number on a Fuego 1.6 Turbo.. can anyone help out with where this is located?

Could not find it in the usual places...

Advertisement

I had some difficulty finding an engine number on an R19 I brought up from Melbourne for my wife when I went to register it in NSW. The RMS book at the time did not have the later model location, only the earlier versions.

I ended up locating it on the bottom front of the block when looking from underneath the car. this was best done up on a hoist. The RMS guy didn't believe me/couldn't find it so I ended up having to enter their inner sanctum to physically point it out to him when it went over the pits. The alternative was to pay some one a bucket load to restamp an appproved alternative number so where on the block.

Trying looking up from underneath as my wife's car was a '94 so maybe Renault were using a similar location for your car.
    KB

1000+ Posts

Don't specifically know the Turbo location...but the Australian Service information sheet 19/4/83 #Z2/83

On the initial consignment of Fuegos in October 1983, the engine number was punched onto the oil gallery, immediately below the aluminium plate riveted to the block by France

As from Chassis number D0002900, the oil gallery switch has been relocated to a position on the oil gallery which prevents the stamping of the engine number in the previous position.
    Consequently the engine number is now punched at the rear of the engine block adjacent to the clutch fork ( diagram shows it in the aluminium housing above the flywheel/clucth - drivers side.)

The English autodata manual says "the engine identification plate is to be found rivetted to the blockand is in one of two formats according to the space available on the block" which doesn't help to locate where>.

According to the illustration of the plate it will contain 1 Engine type (ist three number then 2 French Ministry code (single digit) 3. engine equipment, 4 Renault identity,5 engine suffix, 6, fabrication number.

Other than that I can't help further.

Ken

On the R15/17 that shares a similar block to your Fuego Turbo, the engine no is stamped in the groove of the casting above where the starter motor is bolted to the block.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Thanks... will check out all those places and see if it can be found...

Fellow Frogger!

Alan is correct. I have a Fuego Turbo and can confirm that the engine number is located on the passenger side just above the starter motor.

Cheers

bazzamac

Thread Information