Dauphine G Restoration
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Dauphine G Restoration

Default Dauphine G Restoration

After some earlier issues in pulling this car to bits, today was much more enjoyable.
    Finally started to remove the nearly 50 years of gunk, grime etc from undernetah the car.
    Working with power tools is so much more fun than trying to find and undo that little nut that the French designers put in the most unexpected spot to annoy untrained restorers

At the current rate we should be on the road for it's 50th anniversary in 2014 - but maybe I'm being ambitious.

.....Paul

Advertisement
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Sounds great Paul, any chance of some progress pics?
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Sounds great Paul, any chance of some progress pics?
    Mandatory...
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

1000+ Posts

I learned to drive on a Dauphine (& my 4CV had D-G mechanicals for many years). I have fond memories of the Dauph. - apart from stupidly slow steering. In my view it's the prettiest shape they've done.

I'd recommend three changes from originality that are "no brainers" & five others that are simple enough. Most are in the interest of improving its handling whilst preserving a fairly original appearance. None is a big deal although one would involve hiring someone.

The three are: fitting pure leading arm rear toe control rods, removing the brake balance valve in the rear lines & fitting 145/65-15 tyres. The D-G has only the trunnion bearings for toe control & tends to toe out on lift off if there's any slop at all. Removing the valve lessens the tendency for the front brakes to lock in the wet. The tyre size gives you access to better quality compounds, structures & patterns on standard rims & has the benefits of lowering the car a bit & gearing it down for better acceleration (more important than top speed most of the time).

The five are: fitting R8 Gordini Koni dampers (but see John W.'s comments on the lower wishbone mount fiddle), cutting one turn off the rear springs, fitting R10 discs to the front, fitting a camber compensator rear leaf & fitting a steering quickener. The Koni suggestion needs no further comment I assume. The others assume that you want to play in corners. Cutting off one turn should give you about 3 degrees negative camber; not ridiculous & well worth having (even though the cut coil stiffens the rear which, in & of itself, is a minus). Having front discs makes a lot of difference to braking & it can be done (with a bit of fiddling) with R10 discs (not just early 956cc R8 R1130 ones). A transverse leaf rear camber compensator counters tuck under of the swing axles & is easy to fabricate & fit. (See the thread on these.) More extreme, & requiring an engineer to do it, is fitting a steering quickener. My memory is that the D-G has even slower steering than the R10's 3.7 turns (say, 4.2?) & is a major irritation when driving hard. A 1.5:1 reduction quickener would give you 2.8 using your standard rack or 2.5 using an R10 one - magic! Although the fiddliest, it is the best of the modifications in my view.

This suite of modifications keeps the car looking fairly standard but braking & cornering much more effectively. I've done all of them in various versions of my 4CV (except that I did use 1130 discs when I still had 4CV front suspension).

Enjoy it! cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 28th December 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Default Mods

Hi Peter,
    Thanks for the wonderful post and advice on the steering and suspension set up.
    At this stage it is quite a neat original example and I'm trying to keep it that way.
    Of course I haven't even driven a Dauphine so I have no experience with any foibles. My thinking at the moment is that this car will be used on the occassional club run and not driven in anger. I have the 17 powered 12 and also the 17G for sporting pursuits.
    The other consideration is I don't want to over capitalise the car. If i can get it back to a clean and tidy state with a splash of new paint that would be a good start.

Thanks again for the advice though - it's always good to make informed decisions up front rather than someone saying you should have done.......

Cheers...Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Early days yet but here's a couple of photos.
    I'll post some more in the next few days when the underbody is in better knick.
    Tomorrow we roll her over.
    Cheers...Paul
    Attachment 38138Attachment 38139Attachment 38140

Great pics..........please keep the post going as I'm in Europe, have been for 9 months and 3 to go. Missing my cars and bikes so reading the posts takes some of the sting out......

Looks like a nice original find, right down to the old rego transfer. Does it really need a full repaint though?
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Interestingly your Dauphine G is the same colour as my wife's 1962 Dauphine G. Yours looks to have been cared for, and stored fairly well with minimal rust or dings. My wife's car is also in good original condition with 3/4 of the panels still having the original coat of paint on them. The interior is also all original barring a good matching replacement of the drivers squab. I think hers has 87000 miles and we have the engine out currently, and is halfway through a rebuild for Junee next year.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    My wife's car is also in good original condition with 3/4 of the panels still having the original coat of paint on them. The interior is also all original barring a good matching replacement of the drivers squab.
    Sounds like an old SA based car. Is the LHR door a slightly different shade to the rest of the car?
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Sounds like an old SA based car. Is the LHR door a slightly different shade to the rest of the car?
    Yes, I think you are right. The car is currently at her parents place so I can't look at it. I think the car was sold from Adelaide to Melbourne where my wife bought it from about 3 years ago. It came with a large lot of mostly new parts that perhaps the Adelaide owner had put together. My guess is the Melbourne owner maybe had it only a year.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

I used to know an older chap (since passed away) from Klemzig who had an excellent original buff coloured Dauphine G with brown & tan trim. It had about 72000 miles back then. His name was Leo Slattery. Not the same car is it?
    cheers,

John

I used to know an older chap (since passed away) from Klemzig who had an excellent original buff coloured Dauphine G with brown & tan trim. It had about 72000 miles back then. His name was Leo Slattery. Not the same car is it?
    Yep, that's the one I'm thinking of. Leo was a Rawleighs Products salesman who used to run around in an old Fregate. That car had a terminal breakdown, and Leo purchased the Dauphine G from a little old lady in Gawler, who had given up driving circa 1983, for $300. He went up to Gawler by train and drove the car back home, he used the car as his metro delivery vehicle. Leo passed away in the early 1990's, and the car was put on the market by his daughter at what was then an extortionate price (circa $8K), the RHF door had been bent back on its hinges at that stage creasing its leading edge, and it needed a good clean. Clem Minge (who also had another nice Dauphine G and a nice Ferlec Dauphine that was later written off in a crash) then purchased the car in about 1994. He gave up driving in the late 1990's, and the Dauphines were sold off. Last I heard the beige car was in NSW (it did appear in a 2007 issue of Aust Classic Car), but I guess it could then have gone to Melbourne in the meantime, then to Qld.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
    Hi Peter,
    <snip>
    At this stage it is quite a neat original example and I'm trying to keep it that way.
    <snip>Cheers...Paul
    The 3-speed Dauph. is more of a pain but the 4-speed D-G is fun in standard form (slow steering notwithstanding). I'll limit my suggestions to one then: the tyres. The 145/65-15 size is the front tyre size for the first Smart. There're a few types available but the best for wet braking at the front is the Conti EcoContact if it is still available. If you wish to go down that path then I'll say something about tubes or not.
    Enjoy! Peter

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME;1129061Tomorrow we roll her over.
    Cheers...Paul
    [ATTACH=CONFIG
    Hmm! see post about suspension changes.
    Usually a roll-over is a nasty surprise, not a planned event.
    Never did roll my mother's Dauph.; spun it a few times though -bloody Dunlop cross-plies.
    cheers! Peter

Small world. Great information Simon.

See you and the DG at Junee Alan! The R8 is nearly ready for the trip...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Early days yet but here's a couple of photos.
    I'll post some more in the next few days when the underbody is in better knick.
    Tomorrow we roll her over.
    Cheers...Paul
    Nice looking car. Looks as if it needs mostly a good clean up and a polish. It amazes me that these cars are still coming out of the woodwork.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Wow, that's amazing! His sad Fregate in his back yard with grass growing through it was the first one I'd seen. I took his Dauphine home & tuned it for him but wondered why it seemed slower than mine. Then I noticed an exhaust guy had welded a washer in the exhaust tip restricting it. Why you would do that is beyond me, undoing Amedee's fine work! He said he'd like me to have it when he's gone but when his relative told me how much they wanted for it, I was horrified! It wasn't to be
    cheers,

John

Wow, that's amazing! His sad Fregate in his back yard with grass growing through it was the first one I'd seen. I took his Dauphine home & tuned it for him but wondered why it seemed slower than mine. Then I noticed an exhaust guy had welded a washer in the exhaust tip restricting it. Why you would do that is beyond me, undoing Amedee's fine work! He said he'd like me to have it when he's gone but when his relative told me how much they wanted for it, I was horrified! It wasn't to be
    That restriction washer is bizarre. I've never seen anything like it. Be interesting to see whether any of the folk into serious tuning have any constructive comments (unlikely) or any explanatory comments (possibly they can explain what the guy might have been trying to achieve, however erroneously).

Have you any idea what happened to the Fregate?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That restriction washer is bizarre. I've never seen anything like it. Be interesting to see whether any of the folk into serious tuning have any constructive comments (unlikely) or any explanatory comments (possibly they can explain what the guy might have been trying to achieve, however erroneously).

Have you any idea what happened to the Fregate?
    From what I recall, Leo said they couldn't get the right muffler assy for it & thought it may have been too big a diameter system for the 850 engine so they thought they'd increase the back pressure with that washer. It was just a standard Renault 10 muffler assy fitted which would have been fine as is, without modification. His car drove beautifully but felt like it needed a good clean out from putting around too much. He had a nice stash of parts including a recond Dauphine engine that I bought from him & fitted to my Dauphine once I'd fitted my G cam & head to it first. I don't know what happened to his Fregate John, I'm guessing dumped. Is Clem still alive? He was a nice chap too & I recall he had a beautiful blue/green Dauphine G at one stage (I think that's the one that was written off)? and maybe a nice red one prior to that. Stretching the memory a bit now ...
    cheers,

John

Hi John,
    I don't think so. This car came from Castlemaine area in Vic.
    Cheers..>Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Looks like a nice original find, right down to the old rego transfer. Does it really need a full repaint though?
    Hi Simon,
    Correect it definately doesn't need a full respray. It's more of a wire brush cleanup and see if it has any tin cancer underneath. The engine was out so i though what the heck I'll give the old girl a cleanup. On closer inspection the paint on the roof etc has blemishes the camera hasn't picked up. But I'm not going full baremetal. More of a spruce up.
    More pics of todays work in a second.
    BTW this was Dave Cav's car that had been sitting in his shed for about 10 years while he threatened to do her up. He bought it from a chap in Castlemaine. I managed to convince Dave this car needed to get back on the road - and he agreed.

Today we released the screws on the rotisserie and this is what happened.
    After attacking with a wire brush there's no sign of any rust to test out my lack of skills. A bit more cleaning up to do and then it will receive some rust proofing and chassis black. That should just about do me for these holidays.
    Cheers for all the posts too guys. I'm glad people are still interested in the older cars. It brings a smile to read the kind posts :-)
    ...Paul
    Attachment 38151Attachment 38152Attachment 38153

Today we released the screws on the rotisserie and this is what happened.
    After attacking with a wire brush there's no sign of any rust to test out my lack of skills. A bit more cleaning up to do and then it will receive some rust proofing and chassis black. That should just about do me for these holidays.
    Cheers for all the posts too guys. I'm glad people are still interested in the older cars. It brings a smile to read the kind posts :-)
    ...Paul
    Much like an R8 with curves isn't it! Always surprising how evolutionary these rear-engined models are, certainly not revolutionary.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Hi John,
    I don't think so. This car came from Castlemaine area in Vic.
    Cheers..>Paul
    Yes you're right Paul, I think Simon meant Alan's wife's car (your cars sister perhaps) sorry to hijack your thread.
    cheers,

John

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information