Murphy's Law and Fuego Clutch Pedals
  • Help
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canberra ACT
    Posts
    721

    Default Murphy's Law and Fuego Clutch Pedals

    A friend of mine here in Canberra has a 1982 Fuego which is a bit battered inside and out but he tries hard to keep it in good mechanical condition as he is just a pensioner and relies on it for his daily driver unless he can persuade his ex girlfriend to lend her car for essential trips. He now tells me that his clutch pedal is fatigued and bent and well worn where it connects with the clutch cable. As Murphy's Law dictates, I have been having a garage cleanout and, wouldn't you know it, I only threw out a brake/clutch pedal combination just last week at the recyclers and no way could I find it again amongst all the other metal in the pile at the Mitchell tip. So if anyone has a Fuego clutch pedal, could you please PM me and will arrange purchase and postage if necessary.I have never heard of a clutch pedal fatiguing the way he describes it and thought that they were fail safe items hence why I disposed of my spare pedals - hope it is not a common fail???

    Cheers

    Advertisement


    bazzamac

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,482

    Default

    I would have one of those. They all attached to cars though and I'm not sure how hard to remove.
    Jo

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canberra ACT
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I would have one of those. They all attached to cars though and I'm not sure how hard to remove.
    Jo
    Hi Jo

    Thanks. You need to be a bit agile to get under there but once you remove the clips and the return springs, they should come out easy enough. Let me know how you go and advise price with postage etc so I can let my friend know. If I was in Sydney, I would come and give you a hand.

    Cheers

    bazzamac

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    Hi Jo

    Thanks. You need to be a bit agile to get under there but once you remove the clips and the return springs, they should come out easy enough. Let me know how you go and advise price with postage etc so I can let my friend know. If I was in Sydney, I would come and give you a hand.

    Cheers

    bazzamac
    Ok, I've had a look at a wreck and I have one you can have for your mate.
    How does a pensioner rate of $20 including postage sound??

    I just dont know how much you want, the whole rig or just the clutch pedal.

    It looks like a circlip holds a shaft on and I can just punch the shaft out to release the clutch pedal.

    Let me know whats required.

    Jo

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    12,600

    Default

    Glad you got that sorted out. spares here also. Note Di had one fail years ago on her car, it had been bent sideways in an accident I believe, and that seriously weakened it and it developed a fatigue crack.

    Never had one fail on my cars (touch wood!!)

    I see you are selling a some bits too Bazza .. must have a clean out here soon as well !.

    Ken

  6. #6
    COL
    COL is offline
    A110 COL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Van Diemen's Land
    Posts
    4,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Glad you got that sorted out. spares here also. Note Di had one fail years ago on her car, it had been bent sideways in an accident I believe, and that seriously weakened it and it developed a fatigue crack.

    Never had one fail on my cars (touch wood!!)

    I see you are selling a some bits too Bazza .. must have a clean out here soon as well !.

    Ken
    Fatal mistake to have a clean out Ken, you may find your self in the same position as Barry.

    I know I have done it myself a few times.
    Regards Col

    1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

    http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

  7. #7
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Fatal mistake to have a clean out Ken, you may find your self in the same position as Barry.

    I know I have done it myself a few times.
    My clean out rules are:

    1. Try hard to find a worse hoarder first, and give it to him/her. This usually works.
    2. If you can buy them again, throw out those worn out clutches, pivots, starter brushes that you've kept for 30 years "just in case".

    Most of what I've cleaned out was stuff no-one would ever want (he says.....) from the times when nothing was available or ever likely to be again for the 4CV. I'd suspect the Fuego is still at the unfortunate age, not yet seen as "interesting", which it actually is.

    The Fuego is perhaps a bit like the Citroen CX, and not too popular yet.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    sydney, australia
    Posts
    11,301

    Default

    are we saying i shouldnt have thrown out the pair of Jensen Interceptor rear windscreens i had in the garage for years?

  9. #9
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    are we saying i shouldnt have thrown out the pair of Jensen Interceptor rear windscreens i had in the garage for years?
    Aaargghh!

    But you must be joking, right?
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canberra ACT
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Ok, I've had a look at a wreck and I have one you can have for your mate.
    How does a pensioner rate of $20 including postage sound??

    I just dont know how much you want, the whole rig or just the clutch pedal.

    It looks like a circlip holds a shaft on and I can just punch the shaft out to release the clutch pedal.

    Let me know whats required.

    Jo
    Thanks Jo - you are a gem. Just the clutch pedal will be fine. PM me your account details and I will transfer the funds and I will advise you of my address to send it to.

    Cheers and have a happy Xmas.

    bazzamac

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canberra ACT
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Glad you got that sorted out. spares here also. Note Di had one fail years ago on her car, it had been bent sideways in an accident I believe, and that seriously weakened it and it developed a fatigue crack.

    Never had one fail on my cars (touch wood!!)

    I see you are selling a some bits too Bazza .. must have a clean out here soon as well !.

    Ken
    That's only the start - watch for a big list in the new year now that I have done a stock take to see what I have. Only will keep what I need to maintain my two Fuegos (one a Turbo) and make room for Alpine bits.

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canberra ACT
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    Thanks Jo - you are a gem. Just the clutch pedal will be fine. PM me your account details and I will transfer the funds and I will advise you of my address to send it to.

    Cheers and have a happy Xmas.

    bazzamac
    Any news on the clutch pedal Jo?

    Cheers

    bazzamac

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,482

    Default

    Hi Bazz.
    Sorry for dropping the ball on this one, I'm in holiday mode, a bit scattered and didn't get round to it until today, so its in the next post, whenever that is, wed?
    Pm me the address where you want it.

    Jo

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canberra ACT
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Hi Bazz.
    Sorry for dropping the ball on this one, I'm in holiday mode, a bit scattered and didn't get round to it until today, so its in the next post, whenever that is, wed?
    Pm me the address where you want it.

    Jo
    Hi Jo

    Received clutch pedal in the post this morning all safe and sound. Thanks a lot - my mate will be over the moon to get his Fuego back on the road again. Will see him sometime during the Summernats this weekend.

    Cheers

    bazzamac

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •