Just bought and drove Home (WA)
  • Help

Default Just bought and drove Home (WA)

Philip (philijh) put an ad on The Frog Site wanting to sell a Renault 19 with a lot of work done on it in the not too distant past. Ad also said :

"It hasn't done huge kilometre's and has been well maintained. As noted above from the recent work, you can just jump in and drive it with confidence - even back to Sydney or beyond if you were so inclined."

Well we made an arrangement to come see the car and probably finalise the deal. We agreed terms and I also found it came with a bootload of spares. And off I drove, back home, to Perth WA.

First stop was Wallaroo,SA for the ferry across Spencer Bay on Monday morning. 2 hours across the bay and the run started in ernest . 110-115 kph constant to Nullabor Hotel. Last section at about 15:00 from Ceduna was warm and ran at 105-110 kph just to keep the engine temp reasonable. Good gas consumption, on 91, 13.1 km/Lt. Full tank in the morning and set off 04:30 (WA time) and sun came up over my left shoulder 15 minutes later. First gas stop consumption 13.3 km/Lt. Kept the speed up and it was now getting warmer, eventually put the aircon on getting close to Belladonia. Needed to stop to stretch legs and get a cold drink. Only refreshment pitstop and on the road again. Norsman came up very quickly for fuel. 13.0 consumption. And on the road to Coolgardie, end of day planned stop. Well Coolgardie came up much faster than expected, as it was just coming up 15:00, and as I still had a good bit of day left kept on to Perth. I saw 156km to Southern Cross, that was the plan. Well at 4 mins to 16:30, I drive into Southern Cross. 12 hours drive, 1293 km, and final section 13.1 km/Lt.

Today I drove home very easy, as this is the most policed road in Australia. Had lunch in my workshop with one of my friends. And unpacked the car, and drove home in the stupid Perth traffic.

Well done Philip, you maintain a very good car, thank you for selling me a very good specimen.I did this trip all by myself, with my MP3 player as company, and 6 large bottles of water, for drinking, and 2 boxes of Carmens muesli bars. 2530km. I was prepared for the trip with a traveling tool kit (for any emergency).

Advertisement

I did "just drive it home"..........

Ray

Just bought and drove Home (WA)-image0148.jpgJust bought and drove Home (WA)-image0149.jpgJust bought and drove Home (WA)-image0152.jpgJust bought and drove Home (WA)-pa190127.jpg
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

VIP Sponsor

Well done Ray and an interesting and informative log of your drive home

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

What, no caffeine, nicotene or alcohol. Top effort Ray, though where did you actually start from.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Welcome to the club!!

Jo

Hi John, Started in Edwardstown Adelaide. Sunday after lunch.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Your consumption figures mirror mine. A dozen Carman's muesli bars over 2400-odd km.

Hi Addo,
    They are very sustaining on a long trip, throw in a cold "iced tea" at each pit stop, and your made.
    Ray geckoeng

Ray I'm interested in why or really the difference in time taken to ferry across compared to driving up to Port Augusta and across as I will eventually have to do this trip going the other way, is it worth it as I've never thought about getting on the ferry.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Hi John,
    I think the ferry is worth it in time, not financial. It cuts 2 hours off the drive, on I believe a real shitty road. and you have a 2 hour trip on a very comfortable boat. And then an easy drive into Adelaide. You need to coordinate your times with the 2 sailings a day, see "SeaSA" website, and pre-book as it can be full some times.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Hi John,
    I think the ferry is worth it in time, not financial. It cuts 2 hours off the drive, on I believe a real shitty road. and you have a 2 hour trip on a very comfortable boat. And then an easy drive into Adelaide. You need to coordinate your times with the 2 sailings a day, see "SeaSA" website, and pre-book as it can be full some times.

Ray
    Sounds like it was a great little adventure - was that your first across the Nullarbor? When I was younger I did the trip usually "just to get there" with young blokes, stopping only for fuel and refreshments. Then later on I started doing it for the scenery and the drive, stopping every night, picnic lunches at the roadside, taking our time, and it becomes a very enjoyable trip.

As for the "shitty road" between Adelaide and Ceduna, I can only think that some people may find it rather monotonous, because the road itself is excellent in condition. Although I am contemplating doing the ferry for "something different" one day, With a 3.5 hr drive Adelaide - Pt Augusta and then about 5 hours to Ceduna on the main highway, I can't see it being any quicker by ferry, you would have been in Ceduna long before 15.00 the second day by road. However, that comment is more for John (63-1092) in making a decision between the two ways, as much as anything.

And you are right - to jump into an older car and head off across the Eyre Highway without any problems - is a credit to the previous owner.

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

Never even knew there was a ferry. Might be worth a try if and when I head over again. Perhaps in 2016 for a Renault gathering in WA.

Sounds like a neat road trip in a well maintained car!

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    As for the "shitty road" between Adelaide and Ceduna, ........ because the road itself is excellent in condition.
    +1 to this though. I last travelled that road to Pt Augusta 12 months ago on a day trip to Lyndhurst, it is a great road with just enough incidental scenery of Mt Remarkable and the southern Flinders Ranges to make it interesting. It was my first time up there since 1993, when I was last there to see the LSR cars, and when I used to travel the old road fairly frequently. In the olden days you could R12 the 300km (exact) from Gepps Cross to Pt Augusta in 2.5 hours, with plenty of interesting curves around Redhill. Now with the dual carriageway to Pt Wakefield, and the "new" highway bypassing the smaller towns with no curves, it is a fairly leisurely drive.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

In defence of Ray I must say the country roads here in WA are excellent compared to what I saw last year in QLD & NSW. I haven't done a SA run in a decade so can't comment but it is understandable to me if a West-aussie wants to bag other states roads. I would even say that WA has the best country roads in Oz even though I haven't even been in SA, NT or ACT in the last two years but going on the standards of the other states.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

I will agree to some extent with John (63-1092), But the section from Norsman to Southern Cross is an insult to Goats to call it a goat track. It is narrow and rough, and big trucks on it all the time. This unfortunately happens in WA a lot of the time.

Also coming into Perth from Northam is a disgrace. It is the main artery from the east, as well as our major mining area, a lot of it is single lane each way (narrow). And then it brings you down to a suburban dual carriageway (narrow) through residential areas at 60kph for a long way. Unfortunately political planning in progress.

Take Care,
    Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Fellow Frogger!

G’day Ray,

Glad to see you made it home safely and the car performed as it should. Unless it’s a holiday, trips like that are always best when they are uneventful.

No matter how you might maintain a car there is little bit of trepidation when someone tells you they are driving it home ................. to Perth.

Despite some naysayers on this forum in respect to the qualities of the R19, you have to admire a car that is nearly twenty years old that has just transversed the country without missing a beat.

Having recently brought it back from Sydney where I gave it a service and a new timing belt (thanks again Nigel); apart from fixing a couple of minor electrical problems the only other thing I did was to replace one of the small coolant hoses leading to the oil filter attachment.

We have always run the R19 on RON 98 which I believe is the recommended dosage.

Ray, do you intend to run it on 91 on a daily basis?

I trust the car will continue to provide reliable service in the future.

Cheers

Philip

Hi Philip,
    At 9.5:1 CR I would consider the motor to be a low compression unit with the EFI engine management, and quite capable to run on 91 octane fuel. It does not ping when very hot, under load. so is managed very well. Also from past experience, the motors are not a genuine 9.5 CR but closer to 9.1 CR. Simon will have the best knowledge of fuel values in Australia, but I am sure 91 octane has the best calorific value as well.

Lets see where this goes.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Quote Originally Posted by philipjh View Post
    We have always run the R19 on RON 98 which I believe is the recommended dosage.
    Just to confuse :-). The Australian issue brochure for the 1.7 litre Phase 2 specifies "standard unleaded".

The 4/1993 issue Renault 19 handbook for the B53C with the F3N motor specifies 95 or 98. The DS 1271-18 quick reference book specifies greater than or equal to 95. So best to use 95 as a minimum.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Well done Ray. I take it the car is a manual? Looks pretty clean in the photos.

I only discovered the ferry a month ago when doing some work in Port Lincoln of all places. I might come home in the R8 that way in April I think, if only for a change.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

From my time in France, at least back to 2006, I think that generally they only had 95 and 98 or 100 octane. So "standard fuel" could mean 95 unless the car was mod'ed to run 91 in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Simon will have the best knowledge of fuel values in Australia, but I am sure 91 octane has the best calorific value as well.

Lets see where this goes.

Ray
    Was just looking through the drivers manual, 95+

Do you have access to an XR25 diagnostic computer??

With it plugged into the car's port, you can monitor in real time the knock sensing and the amount of permanent timing retard the ecu programming puts on the ignition.

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Sounds to me like the preparation of the car is an absolute credit to Philip - and safe driving by Ray

Alastair

Thread Information