Problem with 2004 Megane cruise control
  • Help
    IWS

Default Problem with 2004 Megane cruise control

I have an intermittent problem with cruise control on my partnerís 2004 Megane.

When cruise control switch is activated the dash light comes on but the paddles to set the speed do not (always) operate.

I know that the paddles do work as the speed limiter alert function works just fine.

Advertisement

Auto electrician scanned and found no faults on the diagnostic computer.

Just to make it more infuriating - Fault is intermittent! Works one day Ė not the next.

Anyone had this experience? If so Ė did you find a solution?

Ian -

Guessing here.....
    Is the brake pedal returning to fully up (off) every time???
    Next time it fails, pull the pedal up with your foot and see if it changes anything.

jo

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Guessing here.....
    Is the brake pedal returning to fully up (off) every time???
    Next time it fails, pull the pedal up with your foot and see if it changes anything.

jo
    Thanks Jo for that suggestion. And that makes sense - if the brake pedal is (sometimes) not coming up all the way the electronics will thinks the brake is on and so will block the CC setting. Would explain the intermittent nature of the problem. I'll try that next time I drive the car.

ian.

A faulty or maladjusted clutch switch will prevent cruise but permit the speed limiter.

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

VIP Sponsor

I've experienced similar irregular problems of same nature with several different cars, both Renault and Peugeot. I've always put it down to one of those damned invisible bad connection problems (high resistance at some unknown joint or connector) made worse by intermittent use.

I had a Laguna that worked fine, except when signaling to change lanes... When Iindicated to move to R/H lane, to overtake, all was well, then when I indicated to move back into L/H lane the cruise control cancelled itself. It would do this day in, day out for a few weeks, then suddenly 'fix itself' and be ok for several weeks, I never found the cause of the problem, but after about 6 months it has stopped doing it.

Just today I had a series2Scenic,that would not engage cruise, then when I stopped, locked, then unlocked car it operated ok.

i think it's like a lot of electronic stuff on most 'Modern Cars' operating on low voltages, they seem to have a mind of their own and can be very 'moody' from day to day!

IWS

So what all this suggests is that this is a niggling problem which will probably come and go :-(

But it does give me some clues as to things to look for.

So thanks all.

Ian

Well not quite just to let it come and go - what we are saying is get the switches on the brake (and clutch if its a manual) pedal checked for correct adjustment - might be a very simple permanent fix. The pedals should have a bit of "free movement" before the switches activate. With the brake pedal, the cruise control switch may also be the brake light switch (but not necessarily) - if you are parked at night with back of car to a wall, see how touchy the pedal is to make the brake lights come on. You should be able to press the pedal down about 20mm before the lights come on. If its a feather touch, then the pedal vibrating while driving may disengage the cruise control. Or just check the brake and clutch pedals while driving with cruise control to see if a minor touch on the pedal shuts down the cruise control. If so, an adjustment should fix it. This is very common cause of cruise control switching off, and easily fixed.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thread Information