Sad State. Motor's 8:08 state
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Sad State. Motor's 8:08 state

The January 2013 edition of Motor magazine is the Performance Car Of The Year issue, with the Megane RS 265 8:08 Trophy edition being included.

Advertisement

Unfortunately it sounds like it must have been serviced by the Adelaide Renault dealer prior to the test, as the car managed to pop a rod through the block at the end of its test session. Despite Motor mentioning questionable reliability as a potential issue, it still scored well and got a good rap, being praised as the best hot hatch presently available.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

VIP Sponsor

Oh bugger...what an embarrassment. However I can't think what the servicing dealer could have done to contribute to this failure, sounds to me like a straight forward manufacturing defect.

Or they revved it to 9000 perhaps?
    KB

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    Oh bugger...what an embarrassment. However I can't think what the servicing dealer could have done to contribute to this failure, sounds to me like a straight forward manufacturing defect.
    Apart from incorrect (low) oil level, there isn't much is there?

I assume the mags would check vital fluids prior to canning the crap out of them...but then perhaps not.

I still remember seeing Motor (I think) testing acceleration times of and Evo and a WRX at Calder Park a few years ago and was half expecting the contents of the gearbox to deposit themselves on the strip. It was basically - hold the throttle flat and the sidestep the clutch - was excruciating just listening to it.

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    On the upshift it would be rev limited, a muffed downshift could be a different matter though.

My speculation if the car had been serviced prior to the test, and the oil replaced with "standard" spec oil as has been done by the Adelaide dealer with customer cars. Is that the oil grade may make a bigger difference than the dealer likes to think, in extreme use situations.

The Motor tests may be extreme, as evidenced by their discovery of a clutch issue with the Falcon GT a few years ago. But I would like to think that a brisk spin around a track in Australia would likely produce less oil surge (another potential cause) than an 8:08 run in a "stock" 265 around the Nurburgring.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

When the first model of the RG-Gordini (Type R1134) went on sale in Australia, considerable interest was shown by the Federal Police Dept in this car. It was being considered as a possible replacement or support for the then Mini-Cooper S highway cars.

An example of the R1134 was driven to Canberra for evaluation & trials, & reportedly made a good impression. Not long after the evaluation was completed, the test car dropped a valve in one of the cylinders. Some considerable momentum in the approval process was lost, & I guess the rest is history.

Cheers,

K.

Fellow Frogger!

Oooops! Not a good look! I'd hate to be a dealer in Adelaide in view of the above (perhaps unjustified?) comments. My opinion of motor journalists is well documented (elsewhere). They 'score' their test cars at no cost to them or their publication, and often impose severe, unrealistic and obviously sometimes destructive tests on these 'free' vehicles, then make derogatory comments and file unfavourable reviews that can have a seriously negative influence on the future of a particular make/model in the marketplace. The pox on them!

Simon's been here long enough and is well qualified (through practical experience and exposure) to the point where if I said "white" and he said "black" - I'd readily concede without a hint of grudging. In fact, I'd be grateful for the education.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    That won't kill it as it has a rev limiter

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    That won't kill it as it has a rev limiter
    Yeah but if they slammed it back to 2nd gear when it's nudging the rev limiter in 3rd .................................. by accident rather than grabbing 4th, that would do it!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Yeah but if they slammed it back to 2nd gear when it's nudging the rev limiter in 3rd .................................. by accident rather than grabbing 4th, that would do it!
    Granted, but if you did that whilst testing a car you'd be a spineless castrato for not admitting it and putting the blame onto the manufacturer.

Jo

Banned

well, i think that settles it. it was the journalist's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    well, i think that settles it. it was the journalist's fault.
    Well isn't it anyway? I doubt its Renault's fault but there the ones who will get all the crap over it.

Lets face it, they build the best small engines in the world, always have. There the master of the turbocharger. They build the best hot hatches in the world (even Top Gear say that and there very anti French).

Surely no one can blame Renault because some spanner of a jurno doesn't know how to appreciate fine machinery.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Takes some effort to kill an iron block F4R... I reckon even Dave C would be hard pressed to cite many that were killed by anything other than a snapped belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Takes some effort to kill an iron block F4R... I reckon even Dave C would be hard pressed to cite many that were killed by anything other than a snapped belt.
    Exactly. Renault engines just don't break, you have to kill them by not checking oil or water and not changing belts. They don't just blow up.

We got a Scenic in last week that the owner said his mechanic said it had broken a piston and needed a new engine. We were skeptical because they just don't break pistons, more likely its snapped a belt because the it either hasn't been changed or not done properly and the mechanics covering himself by blaming the piston.

We haven't looked at it yet but on arrival we put in a fresh battery to test it and its just free spinning like no compression. It would run with a broken piston, on 3 cylinders and loud death rattles but it would run. The only way it would have no comp in all cylinders is if the belts broken (or tensioner failure throwing the belt) What ever the reason I believe this car is in the wreckers yard because of poor maintenence not poor design.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

I seem to recall when the press were evaluating the new Territory Diesel when it was released, it had a mysterious engine failure . Haven't heard of another Territory Diesel engine failure since, after all, its just an older fairly well tried and proven ex Land Rover engine anyway, not normally prone to failure ....
    cheers,

John

1000+ Posts

Whats the bet that they were driving it like a it was a racing car, or like they had just stolen it
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Quote Originally Posted by 27of85 View Post
    Whats the bet that they were driving it like a it was a racing car, or like they had just stolen it
    How else do you drive an RS Megane ?

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6 View Post
    How else do you drive an RS Megane ?

Cheers

Justin

My neighbour who drives an RS 250 and has driven them around Nurburgring was just saying that over reving on down shifts is a big problem and the main reason for engine failure.
    He hired an RS 250 to do Nurburgring and after you've finished they plug in a reader thing that tell them how hard you reved it and the fine you 300 euros for every 100 rpm over the red line.

If they did that to the jurno I recon he'd be broke.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

I hope it had a few thousand kilometres on the clock before they gave it to the testers.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Default Sad State. Motor's 8:08 state

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    over reving on down shifts is a big problem and the main reason for engine failure.
    Apparently there has been a couple of the new Subaru Diesel engines fail due to over revving from mis-selecting 2nd gear instead of 4th gear when changing down from 5th slowing down from 110 km/h for example. Not a good situation to be in - its not warranty (driver error)
    cheers,

John

I wonder if the Renault black boxes record abuse?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    I seem to recall when the press were evaluating the new Territory Diesel when it was released, it had a mysterious engine failure . Haven't heard of another Territory Diesel engine failure since, after all, its just an older fairly well tried and proven ex Land Rover engine anyway, not normally prone to failure ....
    It's actually the same basic PSA 2.7 diesel that is in the earlier X7 C5.

well i blew an evo motor up on track but the R26 runs faultlessly . they mustve totally FLOGGED it to burst a renault motor . never ever heard of it before

Fellow Frogger!

I read about the 'test' in MOTOR and note that the journalist concerned apologised to the car for 'injuring' it.
    Surely that is an admission of guilt.
    However, to their credit they acknowledged that the Megane is superior nonetheless!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information