Renault 17 Turbo
  • Help

Default Renault 17 Turbo

Hi all,
    I'm currently in the process of acquiring all the necessary parts for turboing the old 17. Looking to use a 16 motor as its the same as the 17 aside from the cam and pistons ive been told, which means the compression is lower so its more suited to this application. Has anyone had any experience with this? Are there any other's around in Australia? I've seen on the net at least one overseas, any helpful info would be appreciated.
    Brendan

Advertisement

Can't be of much help, although I remember there was one in Adelaide about 20 years ago which apparently went very well. I seem to recall it blew a few head gaskets. Unsure of how well it was set up...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

The block of the 16 and 17 motor differs in the motor mounts as well, so the 16 block doesn't just bolt up to the 17 mounts. It will be easier to use the 17 block.

My thoughts, apart from not bothering to turbo a 17, would be to look into buying a Fuego Turbo motor. From one of the posts below, it sounds like the person who bought one of the $500 Fuego Turbos of Ebay recently is now breaking it for parts. The Fuego Turbo motor will be a better base to start from, as well as likely being able to provide a donor five-speed 'box as well.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The block of the 16 and 17 motor differs in the motor mounts as well, so the 16 block doesn't just bolt up to the 17 mounts. It will be easier to use the 17 block.

My thoughts, apart from not bothering to turbo a 17, would be to look into buying a Fuego Turbo motor. From one of the posts below, it sounds like the person who bought one of the $500 Fuego Turbos of Ebay recently is now breaking it for parts. The Fuego Turbo motor will be a better base to start from, as well as likely being able to provide a donor five-speed 'box as well.
    Also, it is easier to convince an engineer to comply your car when you have used all factory parts, mainly engine gearbox and brakes.

Jo

Thread Information