Adventures in window land
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Adventures in window land

I was up at Winton in May scrutineering at the historic race meeting, driving into the track on Sunday morning i opened my window to show my pass to the ticket person,i went to close my window it went up a little way then there was a horrible noise followed by the window refusing to go up any further. I had to take the door trim off to see what had happened,i managed to get the cable off the window and push the window up and hold it in position with race tape,all the while thinking i'm glad it didn't happen on Friday as it rained all day.Back to Melbourne on Sunday thinking i must get around to fixing that window,this was to be the routine for the next four months.Every time i get in the car. eventually i tire of this ritual, So it's onto the confuser to see what can be done to rectify the problem,after much searching we find an English site that claims to have new ones available for 60 pounds after many attempts at contacting them we give up and try another site, we find another site that sells a repair kit for a total price of about $40 AUS at least this site responds, so I order a kit from them. When the kit turns up it has no instructions, so it's back on the confuser eventually finding a you tube video on how to fit the repair kit.Try as i do many times i can't get it to look like it does in the video,after much head scratching it suddenly dawns on me that the video is for the left hand side, all i have to do is do it in mirror image form,this is not as easy as you would think.I finally get it to look like a mirror image,install back in door window goes up ok but on the way down it catches the cable and breaks the plastic clip of one end,not quite mirror image ive put the short cable at the wrong end,out it comes again more head scratching. This time i put it back together with a mix of old and new bits, success this time it now works as it should

Advertisement
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

1. Consider readability in your posts. Paragraphs are a great invention.

2. Renault door hardware is pretty average. The regulators go in them creating the symptoms you have described. Australian shops such as EAI (they're in Melbourne) have replacement regulators in stock. Support the local guys, and they sell European parts to boot.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

And it wouldn't hurt to know the car on which you're working. My cable operated one on my p405SRDT I repaired with clutch inner cable from a local moterbike shop.

Quote Originally Posted by frankthezapper View Post
    And it wouldn't hurt to know the car on which you're working. My cable operated one on my p405SRDT I repaired with clutch inner cable from a local moterbike shop.
    It's probably the Proton Jumbuck Ute :-)
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

1000+ Posts

Good to see this as I stuffed the Laguna drivers side window cables, just missed getting a second hand set, so its on the job list to be done when I get back to working on the car. So personally I am glad you posted this, wife is presently driving the car and "starting to complain" at having to open a door to press buttons at car parks etc.

Would love to see a detailed first hand description and pictures on how the job is done - will put my own up in due course when I get around tuit!

Ken

VIP Sponsor

Bloody electric windows.... Same problem on all cars... Not durable enough. As a dealer specializing in second hand Frogmobiles, I can assure you all three Marques are about on par for window regulator failures and I have to replace around 30 per annum!

I replaced the regulators on 3/4 of the doors on my Laguna 2 wagon. I think I still have a brand new LHS rear regulator in it's original packaging in the garage. I sold the car before I needed to use it. The temporary fix held on too long!

I didn't get to try the ebay euro fix.
    KB

1000+ Posts

At least the old style scissor action type would give you plenty of warning, and be operating perfectly one minute, then fail with no warning at all

ps the car in question is a 2001 clio

1000+ Posts

letsseeifthegrammarpoliceareawakeforthelasttwopost s

Quote Originally Posted by 27of85 View Post
    letsseeifthegrammarpoliceareawakeforthelasttwopost s
    Sorry for offering a solution.

I won't bother again.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Oh look it's another Aussiefrogs tiff...
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Actually that was a really big word rather than no paragraphs
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Thread Information