Some Improvements to the GTA
  • Help

Default Some Improvements to the GTA

The GTA started leaking oil from the gearbox quite badly so I have taken the opportunity to make a few improvements. The gearbox leak turned out to be the seal at the inner end of the spigot shaft seal which to replace means you have to split the gearbox, fun fun.

Anyway while I have the car in bits:

1. Brakes - the car was fitted with these Wilwood brakes in the UK when all the other modification were done but the previous owner took them all off thinking he would use them for another project. Luckily he didnt and I was able to purchase them and refit on the Alpine. Also by luck I had purchased the right sized Azev mags that just fitted over the brakes. Standard caliper on the rear is for the hand brake only, it is spaced to go over the larger disc.

2. Charge cooler radiator - it has been obvious from the start that the charge cooler radiator was too small and in the wrong place (between the rear tail lights). Inlet air temp gets quite high quite quickly. So I am making a new larger radiator and moving it to the front. To do this I have had to do away with the air con radiator (the air con is not working anyway). It will have the added advantage of having a larger capacity of water as well in the long water lines running the length of the car. I am fairly sure the electric pump will be man enough for the job but I will test it during assembly.

3. Oil Cooler - that was up the front behind the engine radiator and I didnt like the long lines so this will move back to where the charge cooler radiator was between the tail lights

4. Oil Pump - Ive posted before that some grit got into the oil pump and scratched the surface quite badly. So Frans made me a special cutting tool and helped be resurface the oil pump housing. I am current having the oil pump gears built up to match.

Advertisement

Thats about all for now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some Improvements to the GTA-img_2757.jpg   Some Improvements to the GTA-img_2758.jpg   Some Improvements to the GTA-img_2749.jpg   Some Improvements to the GTA-img_2750.jpg   Some Improvements to the GTA-img_2751.jpg   Some Improvements to the GTA-img_2752.jpg  

Some Improvements to the GTA-img_2753.jpg   Some Improvements to the GTA-img_2754.jpg   Some Improvements to the GTA-img_2756.jpg  
    Ross:

1989 Alpine GTA Twin Turbo
    1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

I found changing over to the braided Goodridge flexible brake lines (about 60 pounds out of the UK with freight) made quite a bit of difference to the pedal travel. I also removed the rear brake pressure limiter and fitted a 3 way junction instead. With the std brakes at least, with the limiter in place the rear brakes bludge. Mine will still lock up the fronts first if the pedal is pushed hard enough.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Yes Ive removed the limiter on the Dauphine but not yet on the GTA. Is it adjustable? What I mean is can you pull it apart and modify it so it limits less?
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Yes you can.
    Once you pull it apart, you will figure it out.
    Just a spring with preload.
    You could drill the end of the cover out, weld a nut and fashion an adjuster,
    but really much simpler to substitute a three way tee.
    This is with standard brakes.
    But with more generous disc diameters as you have, may be prudent to gauge the
    "balance point" for yourself - maybe in the wet.
    More like an R10, as pressure limit is set and has no reference to suspension movement.

Thanks for that Steve, I am a little worried that these brakes might be a bit unbalanced front to rear so it would be good to be able to adjust them if I need to.
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Ross, I thought you would have fitted a bias adjustor in the cockpit.

Hi Rhys, no the interior is totally stock and I want to keep it that way.
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Hi Ross ,the engine bay is a good place to install Some Improvements to the GTA-imgp3133.jpgSome Improvements to the GTA-imgp1883.jpga bias valve that's where I put mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ALPGTA View Post
    Hi Ross ,the engine bay is a good place to install a bias valve that's where I put mine.
    Very nice, I see you have a similar setup at the rear with 2 calipers. Did you install the bias valve to fix an imbalance or was it installed as part of the brake upgrade? Has it improved the brake balance?
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

I actually have the same size calipers front and rear and use the bias valve to reduce the flow to the rear . The bias valve only works on cars that have too much braking on the rear which it can reduce .
    I only found the correct balance once it was used on a race track , the stopping has massively improved from the standard set up ,exceptional feel and performance with 296mm disks all round. The master cylinder was also changed to supply enough fluid to the 4 four pot calipers.

Thread Information