colour codes
  • Help

Thread: colour codes

Fellow Frogger!

Default colour codes

Help wanted.....well I am trying to identify the colour of my 1973 r15. It has the code LH 380 on the body behind the passenger side headlight. It is yellow but I recall a number of slightly different yellows on 73 and 74 models of 12's but not sure if 15's were different to 17's.
    Does anyone have the tool to remove the rear bumper, it is larger than any screwdriver I own and also has a dimple in the middle of the recess?
    The true colour of the rear bumper is a silver colour, anyone any clues as to a similar colour that can be purchased today?
    Any owners have a trim strip from the sill spare?
    With Thanks
    Geoff.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Cars built as 1974 models yellow was No.386 later cars had a more lemon colour if my memory is correct 301 or 308. Not sure if the colours were the same as R12 as the R15/17's were imported. R12's mostly assembled in Oz. But Simon will know. The rear bumper on phase 1 R15/17 were the colour of the fibre glass (colour mixed into the bumper ) on the outside edge and satin black in the middle. It is slightly off white or even with a touch of fawn. Renault did make a paint available in case of minor damage but I only have the part number not the colour number. I got it matched and the nearest I could come up with was a Mitsubishi colour. I will find its mix info tomorrow as I have it in my workshop. 386 was called Arizona Yellow in the US. The later phase 2 cars had a 308 Glen Yellow so perhaps the names were the same here. I think the lighter colour came in 1975 models. Simon usually has the Dulux mix numbers for most Renault paint numbers.

Once I actually sprayed my R15 bumper all black as I thought it looked better. But I might re spray it back to near original one day.

I got a large screwdriver and ground it to match the screw shape. On some bumpers I have had to cut them off with an angle driver as they are rusted in.

1000+ Posts

Probably should have looked up my paint part numbers before. 386 yellow and 301 lemon yellow are colours for imported vehicles. R15 and R17 were imported and already assembled and painted.

Quote Originally Posted by geedee View Post
    Help wanted.....well I am trying to identify the colour of my 1973 r15. It has the code LH 380 on the body behind the passenger side headlight.
    If it is a 1973 model, it will likely be 386 yellow, with a Dulux equivalent number of 566.15842. Depending on the paint place, I would say you would have more luck with the Renault paint code. At worst, they should be able to match by eye or a computer match. The full import Renault colours are different to the locally assembled cars.

The LH prior to the code denotes the factory of manufacture, in this case Le Havre, France.

The rear bumper with the funny head is a TACL head screw. I doubt if you would be able to find the correct screw driver to remove them. As Sunroof says, try improvising with an old screwdriver shaped on a grinder. Prior to attacking it, liberally spray the thread in the bracket first, the steel bracket is prone to rusting to the thread of the screw.

Also as above, the grey bumper is self-coloured grey. After for the (Australian) 1975 model year onwards the grey bumper was painted black.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

I have used Renault numbers at Autobarn and my local paint shop and got accurate mixes. Given that there has been slight fading of the original paint.

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

My 73 15TS is 386 Jaune but, due to several touch up sprays after Tin Worm penetration, it has about 10 different 386s if you look at it carefully!!

It's a great colour though

Alastair

Fellow Frogger!

Some people are .........I double checked the number and found the grease patch had covered the colour number which is actually 386. T he rear bumper on this 15 has been sprayed yellow at some time and doesn't look good at all. We found the car originally came from South Australia and registered to a lady. She lived in Williamstown and the car was purchased from Bill Richards Pty Ltd of Prospect in SA. I may be looking for a drivers side rear tail light sometime in the future as the motor will need attention first.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Geedee.

Quote Originally Posted by geedee View Post
    She lived in Williamstown
    Mrs. Argent?
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Fellow Frogger!

Yes that is the name on the Renault guarantee folder. Please tell me more. The previous owner has passed away so I do not know how the car came to be in Gladstone 200 km north of here. I wonder what happened to the auto transmission? Any info on this car would be most welcome. We even wonder if the km reading is accurate as it doesn't seem to have covered a squillion km's.
    Awaiting your replies.
    Geedee.

The original engine number is 1670, I'd imagine the original auto trans went the way of 90% of Renault automatics, the electronic brain suffered a stroke, resulting in the trans being replaced.

The car was delivered on 19/1/1975 with a MPH speedo and odo. The bonnet was resprayed with 30 miles on the clock, with the last known info being on 17/8/1977, 17613 miles, when it had a Big Service and the interior mirror was replaced and the sunvisors were reported as being loose.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Now you're just showing off Simon!!!
    KB
    KB

1000+ Posts

Sun visors were normally fitted with a metal shaft on the inside edge that fitted into a special support clip. These were only used on Australian cars as the mirror was glued to the windscreen. The other countries had the mirror screwed to the metal above the windscreen and also incorporated the supporting clip for the sun visors. Interestingly my R17TS (an Aussie car) has the mirror glued to the screen, doesn't have either the clip nor holes where it might have been nor metal shafts in the sun visors. While they appear floppy as if they may drop down they never have. My other cars are as per the parts manual as is the English car I have, mirror fitted to the metal above the screen a much better idea but I guess our ADR's insisted otherwise.

1000+ Posts

I and a paint guy spent quite a long time matching the colour to one of the best of the 5 bumpers that I have and this is as close as we could get. It matches the clean covered areas that were least effected by weather. I feel it is just a smidgen light but you won't pick it unless you have a clean original right beside it and even then most can't see any difference. Personally I think it looks silly on the car as there is nothing else that colour. Perhaps being one of the earliest cars with fibre glass bumpers they were trying to make a statement. Sorry I should have given the car a better wash. The paint is Mitsubishi No. 8652. From memory off an early car. If you can't match the number I could get it's name from the paint shop. Some of the cars in France bumpers have just been painted white but that looks even worse. I still prefer satin black all over which is what phase 2 cars had from the factory.

1000+ Posts

I just noticed this bumper has torx screws. My R15 has the screws you mentioned.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks again Sunroof, but this really is intriguing stuff. This 15 has no attaching spots for the sunvisors but does have the original mirror which was screwed to the roof above the windscreen. It now has a wacky wide mirror that gets knocked if you put down a sunvisor, very useful with a semi bearing down on you on the highway [ this is a long time away for this car ]. Simon where did you get the info from relating to this car, I am astounded? Yes the engine number still is 1670.
    Thanks Sunroof for the image of your rear bumper, that colour is pretty dull I have to admit, I wonder what a more metallic colour would look like? It would have to be better than the yellow on mine at present.

1000+ Posts

Mirrors that screwed to the metal were on some R16 and R12's so perhaps one was substituted at some stage. R12 sun visors were supposed to be put on Aussie cars according to Wickie but not according to the Parts Book. Think I prefer the parts book to Wickie as you are never sure who put the info on Wickie. Incidentally my mirror on the R17 doesn't see far up the road. Side mirrors are essential. I have never had this issue with the R15 not sure why as the tail gates are the same. Perhaps it wasn't glued back in the correct place at some stage. That is the trouble with old cars you are never sure what was originally on the car or what may have been changed.

I painted my R17 as near as I could to correct colours as I am trying to keep this car original when ever possible. I don't have the proper intermittent wiper control, and I have 2 webers instead of injection. The upholstery has been redone as near as possible to original although the colour is a bit too dark it should be light tan. Apart from that I have it pretty original. I would really like to go back to injection if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    R12 sun visors were supposed to be put on Aussie cars
    The reason for the different part numbers of the local sunvisors would be that the Australian 15/17 visor is clad in the 15/17 perforated headliner material, rather than the local material of the 12/16 visors.

The 15/17 interior mirror should be placed 44mm from the edge of the windscreen rubber to the top of the mirror bracket.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Fellow Frogger!

Another rather dumb question, is the colour of the rear bumper the same as that on the surround on the front indicators? I keep looking but without the correct bumper colour I can only rely on those of you who have so much knowledge. Also noticed that I had posted earlier that my 15 had done 84000 km , wrong again, it is of course in miles. Getting older has some downsides, maybe I need to look more closely at things rather than just glancing. A left over from a working life where everything is hurried.

1000+ Posts

Simon, my mirror is 4 mm from the rubber hence the poor vision. If it was 44 then it would be ok. Interestingly there is a black shape on the out side of the screen the shape of the mirror mount so as you cannot see the glue. Perhaps it was always wrong. 4 instead of 44. As only a few Aussie cars went along the assembly line and had glued instead of screwed mounts perhaps the mirror man miss read the instruction.

Geedee,

I will try and find the colour for the front metal. It is a different grey, I tried hard to match it with pressure pak colours ended up buying a few different ones that weren't correct. But in the end got some thing close. It isn't perfect but again quite close. I think I also used it for the wheels. I'll try and see if I wrote it down, I try and remember to do so but may have forgotten.

Thread Information