Fuego wheels
  • Help

Thread: Fuego wheels

Fellow Frogger!

Default Fuego wheels

With christmas coming the family offered to get me new wheels and rubber for the fuego
    Whats the recommendations, at present iam rumming 15inch with 195 / 50 .
    What about 16 or 17 inch sure i read somewhere they fit
    My knowledge of what the numbers mean is small so be kindthanks in advance David

Advertisement

I run 195/55/r15 after trying a few different sizes, 195/60/r15 205/50/r15
    Rims are 38mm offset, 15x6.5
    That is the smallest rim size which allows for a choice of decent high performance rubber which the car deserves.
    The earlier clio sports and type R integras and probably a few more cars from the early 2000 era run that size so supply should stay reliable for a while at least.

Some will suggest 205/50/15 which may rub on the both ends, and in my experience is a bit skatey in the wet.
    If it were a track car with stiffer suspension that might be a good size (with 15x7 rims)

One consideration is that the fuego has an 88 load rating put on it.
    This sucks big time as it is hard to shod it with modern tyres and stay legal.
    I've had my car's load limit downgraded by an engineer signatory to 85 which puts it with all the other FWD sports hatches of the same weight and gives me a large choice of performance tyres to use.
    Having done that and running 85 weighted tyres, I've also found that maybe....and this is a maybe, the fuego actually should have a slightly higher load limit, as tyres like the michi ps3 have too soft a sidewall for extreme driving and the tyres will fold under during extreme cornering in the dry.

If you do not put your car under extreme stress in dry weather cornering, the PS3 is a great comfort tyre, ultra safe in the wet and I would recommend it.
    I run them on the rear end and run the cheaper but more robust bridgestone re002 on the front as I do drive excessively around corners.
    The re002 does not have as much grip as the ps3 and stops the chances of terminal over steer if for some reason I have to lift off the gas mid corner.

I have not used bigger than 15 inch rims because I just cant seem to get the numbers to work.
    Weight is a big issue to me as the fuego is sensitive to wheel weight.
    Others have used bigger sizes, and maybe they can comment.

Jo

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

also running 195/55/15, on Scenic steelies, Hancook also rated at 85. I've never found them wanting but I'm not as agressive as some others Nevertheless, it goes around roundabouts a damn side quicker than 90% of the local lairs.

cheers,
    Bob

ps rims are branded Dunlop [France] 6J 15 H2, there's a wheel calculator hiding here somewhere that includes metric sizes, I'll see if I can find it.
    Last edited by bob; 4th December 2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: bit more

Just for giggles, I have a g meter on my Iphone.
    Can pull about 0.5G acceleration or braking and slightly over 1G cornering.
    My usual results on a normal drive show far lower braking and acceleration results though and slightly lower cornering G's.

Jo

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Tyre size calc

G'day,

spreadsheet calc, works with metric wheels as well.

cheers,
    Bob
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fellow Frogger!

Wheel and Tyre update. Went to see our local Bob Jane store to enquire on tyres etc, what i was offered was or suggested to use. 205/40/R17 is this guy for real. i havnt heard of anyone using 17 inch and with 40 low profile low profile tyres i would imagine the ride would be as hard as and as for the handling. As anyone any opions or tryed them. I checked the tyre calculator (thanks Bob) and it appears to be matching rolling diameter. Welcome views from all.

All I'll say is wrong load rating and likely to be damn heavy. Bad for every aspect of performance, but looks good in some peoples eyes.
    ...Make sure you get 5 or more rims so when you bust them you will not have 3 useless rims like i do (at 15 inch).

Jo

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

I'm sticking with the 15's and 195/55s, reasonably comfortable and haven't been found wanting.....

cheers,
    Bob

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks guys yes i agree i believed increasing the wheel size with low profile would affect comfort handling etc. Well today visited the Goodyear store and ordered (pic below) 15inch with 195/50 profile on recommendation. Picking up tomorrow. Just hope the family dont want to wrap them up. Thanks again DavFuego wheels-mags.jpgid

why 50 profile???

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Jo i followed the managers recommendation do you think 55 would be better cheers mate

Absolutely. No contest.
    Guy from shop is a dick if he didn't look at you door placard.

50 profile is too lightweight a tyre (82 load rating generaly), and the fuego needs 85 at least, 88 to remain legal.
    How wide are the rims?
    6.5 inch I hope.

Jo

1000+ Posts

I think that Jo has gone into the wheel/tyre Fuego issues well past that of owners like myself that stick with the original rims and tyres.

Dianne loved her BF Goodrich 205/50 R15 86V tyres on an AMG after market alloys fitted with centreing bushes. For her that was the ultimate tyre, unfortunately when she came to replace in tassie, wasn't able to source a same as replacement, was sold a different tyre for the same rims, but cornering is not as good as the old BF Goodrich. I did have to do a little work on the inner wheel arch of the Fuego to apply cornering clearance to stop the inner side fo the tyre rubbing.

Jamie had Pirelli P5000 Drago 195/50 R15 82 V fitted to Auscar alloys, he was reasonably happy with them, they were a soft compound low profile tyre, but when Di drove his car she said their grip on corners was awful compared with her beloved BF Goodrich's.

Me I still stick to the original hard compound Michelins that will wear to 100,000 km, and like Bob I drive accordingly.. Scotch in the blood.....

I guess you get to choose what you want, ultimate cornering, hard or soft profile, and whatever wear factor you are prepared to live with in a modern configuration. (and live with that!!)

Good luck with your choice David

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I think that Jo has gone into the wheel/tyre Fuego issues well past that of owners like myself that stick with the original rims and tyres.

Dianne loved her BF Goodrich 205/50 R15 86V tyres on an AMG after market alloys fitted with centreing bushes. For her that was the ultimate tyre, unfortunately when she came to replace in tassie, wasn't able to source a same as replacement, was sold a different tyre for the same rims
    Yes, unfortunatly that is the problem with 'ultimate tyres', they become obsolete.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Absolutely. No contest.
    Guy from shop is a dick if he didn't look at you door placard.

50 profile is too lightweight a tyre (82 load rating generaly), and the fuego needs 85 at least, 88 to remain legal.
    How wide are the rims?
    6.5 inch I hope.

Jo
    Thank Jo

Called the guy this morning must be a different guy ther cos his name is Scott not Dick (just in case you call)'
    had them put on 195/55/R15 85V
    thanks for the directions

wrapped????

Pics???

Jo

Administrator

I'm one of the rice boys with 17's on the Fuego (205/40R17). I expected them to ride like a truck, but they seem pretty good. No tram lining to speak of and the car seems to ride quite well (particularly the front end) with the current 'secret squirrel' mods.

I still have to makes some minor changes to the rear end when I'm next on holidays.

Mine is on 17s also needs to be lowered but it looks good and sFuego wheels-image.jpg sticks.

what does a 17 inch combo weigh in at??

Jo

cant remember exactly how much it was but the wheels and tires were under $1000.

Thread Information