R15TS Fuel pump leaking - assistance please
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Default R15TS Fuel pump leaking - assistance please

Not having started my 15TS for some 6 weeks, I was amazed that petrol started pouring out of the round gasket at the top of the fuel pump.

Today I have taken off the top of the pump only to find that the circular gasket, which has 6 holes in it for the screws, is attached to the rubber bit. Ken from Caravelle does not have this spare part.

Neither Haynes nor the official Workshop Manual seem to say anything about its removal.

Has anyone else had this problem and what is the best way to overcome it? How do you remove the gasket and rubber bit? This is actually the pump bit that goes up and down.

Advertisement

Many thanks in anticipation.

Alastair

COL

Hi Alastair

I have had your problem of fuel leaking from the fuel pump. I have also had the fuel pump leak oil from vent holes underneath the fuel pump.

I'm not sure if you can get kits for them anymore, but I have seen whole fuel pumps on Ebay.

I would suggest you change the pump with a know good second hand one or get a new pump.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Why don't you put a plate over where the pump goes and put in an electric pump
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Because the pump is very reliable and more than enough for the engine.

I don't really understand the problem though. The membrane doesn't have any other gasket. It is sandwiched between the cover and the pump body. I take it this is where yours leaks?

If the membrane is broken, you get the fule leak down the venting holes at the bottom of the pump body (as mentioned by Col above).

I am flying out tomorrow and am not home tonight in time to send you a membrane, but you can find it on ebay easily (or get the whole pump). Check US ebay first, for some strange reason they have a lot of parts for these cars (NOS) - there's a guy in Florida who got me out of trouble a number of times.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Yes, Shlitzy, it is coming out from the cover.

It happened once before when I hadn't used the car for a bit (not in such quantities as this time) but it went away. I thought it might be caused by the gasket drying out too much.

I might try putting it back together again tomorrow and see what happens.

Alastair

The membrane does indeed dry out, but check the mating surfaces on the pump and cover are flat too. I have had this problem on one of my cars and it eluded me for a little bit. Even if it's dry for a long time, the membrane does not suffer.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

OK, I'll check that too. The membrane is not broken.

Should I be putting any gasket goo on this time or just leave it as it is and try it?

Alastair

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by 27of85 View Post
    Why don't you put a plate over where the pump goes and put in an electric pump
    +1

reliable delivery & far better fuel pressure regulation - does the 15 have the dopey miniscule return line regulation system ?

cheers,
    Bob

ps: little electric unit, about $50 from your local Aussie allparts man.

1000+ Posts

I have electric pumps on 4 of my old Renaults including my R15. Two of them have R17 G motors that don't have a facility for a mechanical pump. I do it on the other 2 mainly to prevent the need to churn and churn to fill the carby bowl after a period of no use. But be aware that in case of an accident they will continue to pump fuel unless you add additional devices to prevent it. I should add I have never bothered to do so.

Yes Sunroof, I know welll the feeling of cranking the starter motor to get fuel up to the carby. My rememdy was to buy a really good battery and now it will still start, without charge, after 6 weeks of non-use.

I agree with the Shlitz, that it is a very reliable pump (and a good pimp!)

I had that continual pumping after a Lotus Elan +2 caught fire, referred to by Sunroof, with disastrous results. An ordinary fire extinguisher is not good enough. By the time the Fire Brigade arrived it was a write-off.

Alastair

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Alastair,

most unfortunate, they won't pump with the ignition off, you have to be unlucky to be caught out. Otherwise one has to balance the time and effort to defeat the problem against the rewards.....

In the meantime, you might want to check your fuel pressure at the delivery point and assure yourself that the regulation of the mechanical pump is on the ball. My old r20 managed 10psi when it was in the mood !! Needless to say, an electric unit there gave an instant increase in both power and economy

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

Electric pumps are available with different pressures. Usually 4PSI and 10 PSI. With side draft Webbers it is important to keep the pressure around 2 PSI as the surge when the needle opens can cause erratic running of the motor as the fuel level in the float bowl effects the amount of fuel delivered through the main jet. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the down draft Weber fitted to an R15.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

"Fedtro 40104" at around 2psi was perfect in the r20. OEM in many small imports apparently and are reputed to last rather well, BUT, they are noisy little devils and need mounting via nice soft rubber grommets.

cheers,
    Bob

If you want to tempt fate, and the usual sources such as French Connection and Caravelles can't supply, I've got a new 15TS pump available. I have to admit those mechanical fuel pumps can be problematic though. For me, they only seem to last on average 20 years before they need replacing, you really would think they could have done something better........
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Simon,

It's not that the old mechanical ones are not up to the task, it's the pressure regulation system that seems to be the norm with Renault that fails. I don't know what's in the 15, but my old 20, like the Fug, has this small bore tube that leads back to the tank and easily fills with crud and up goes the line pressure.

Now if the 15 uses the other system that is controlled within the pump by lifting the lever off the cam, no problems....

cheers,
    Bob

The fuel return line is supposed to return excess fuel to the tank and provide a pressure discharge point so the needle valve on the carby is not forced open. Use a good fuel filter in line with the pump, make sure the carby entry pint filter is in good nick and there will be no crud building up in the return line.

Like Simon said, I have a 40 year old pump here still going strong like the day it left the factory. I wish someone showed me an electric fuel pump with the same age and mileage and they can have mine for free.

I looked into replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electrical one at some stage in my BMW life, but I was told the insurance would be very cross if my car burnt out and they found there was no fuel cutoff device to stop fuel delivery in a crash. A tachometric relay back then was about 290$ and an oil pressure activated switch was impractical on that engine. Besides, there was nothing wrong with the mechanical fuel pump so I changed my mind.

Red Letter Day today! I cleaned everything up and put it back, started the engine and just a few drops were leaking out.

I took the car for a drive, couldn't smell any petrol, opened the bonnet and the fuel pump was dry as a chip.

The learning message from this interruption to proceedings is: use your cars, don't let them 'dry up' the the garage.

Alastair

Thread Information