Renault 12 fuel blockage
  • Help

Default Renault 12 fuel blockage

I'm looking for ideas to unblock a fuel pipe. The blockage is in the fuel pick up pipe in the tank of my 1970 Renault 12 TL.

I've determined that the whole fuel line forward of the fuel tank is clear. From what I can see, the fuel pick up pipe would be no longer than 300mm. Is there something thin, but strong and can bend slightly, that I can push into the pipe at the point that it protudes from the tank?

Advertisement

Many thanks.

Use compressed air into the line outside tank , followed by a through clean of the tank.

Agree with rob.
    Make sure you dont have a sealed fuel cap on when you do and dont blast 120psi down there.
    I'm not familiar with the r12 tank set up, but the fuego has a gauze cage over the inlet which can clog up with crystallised fuel if the car has been let stand with old fuel for too long.

If it is possible to remove the whole fuel pickup module, I'd recommend you do that rather than just blast the crap back into the tank.

Jo

Piano wire of suitable diameter from hobby shops. Alternatively speedo cable is bendy easily (that's the idea behind the plumbers' special thingie they use to clean drains) and you can spin it around.

This is if the compressed air idea doesn't work.

You can also use caustic soda if you need the power of chemistry, just remember OH&S.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thanks. I have already used a small compressor that got up to 40psi and it didn't do any good.

Car has been sitting for 3 months unused, that's why I thought it might need some mechanical action from a bit of strong thin wire to move the blockage. Am after suggestions for a suitable thin, strong rammer.

My Edit: Gee the suggestions have been quick. Have only noticed those other posts after typing this response.

I think mine has the gauze cage.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpeps View Post
    I think mine has the gauze cage.
    Cool.
    I'd have thought 40 psi would blow the cage apart.

Been over any big bumps, enough to force the bottom of the tank and the cage up into the pickup??

Jo

COL

Hi sgtpeps

I have never known an R12 fuel line to block but I would remove the filler cap and blast about 100 psi of air down the pipe, the other thing you can is remove the fuel sender which is in the top of the tank in the middle and have a look into the tank `to see if there is something blocking the pickup.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Thanks Col. I have removed the fuel sender, but couldn't see far enough in to see the end of the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Cool.
    I'd have thought 40 psi would blow the cage apart.

Been over any big bumps, enough to force the bottom of the tank and the cage up into the pickup??

Jo
    Haven't been anywhere. Car has sat for over 3 months unused.

sgtpeps

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpeps View Post
    Thanks Col. I have removed the fuel sender, but couldn't see far enough in to see the end of the pipe.
    get yourself one of those cheap laser-lit camera bendy sticks, bloody poor pictures, but at least they enable to you see in the dark around corners.

Used one here to check out how hoses 'n cables sat in behind the stove when it was in place, handy

cheers,
    Bob

Fellow Frogger!

I have used a bit of throttle cable bowden wire, the inner, in the cordless drill in the past, worked a treat.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi sgtpeps

I have never known an R12 fuel line to block but I would remove the filler cap and blast about 100 psi of air down the pipe, the other thing you can is remove the fuel sender which is in the top of the tank in the middle and have a look into the tank `to see if there is something blocking the pickup.
    Agree with Col. Some weeks ago I treated the fuel tank in my A110 with POR15 fuel tank treatment but then found that the pick up line was blocked. Could not see past the baffle to ascertain whether it had an end filter. In the end I rigged up a pick up line thru where the fuel sender normally sits and then went to a garage and had air pressure sent done the pick up line. Didn't take much, a nice pop and then you could hear the fuel bubbling away as the air went thru. If air pressure can free a POR15 blockage it should clear anything. I tried the wire down the hole trick but that didn't work.

Problem solvered. Turned out to be a blocked vent on the vented fuel cap. As my car is pre 1975, it has a vented fuel cap.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I hope you didnt inflate your tank to 120 psi to discover this.
    Jo

No only to 40PSI Jo, as I was using one of those little compressors that run off the cigarette lighter. Not quite sure why I decided to take the fuel cap off, but when I did there was a rush of air!!! Glad I did find the cause though.

Thread Information