What's under the covers?
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default What's under the covers?

Advertisement

'77 17TS.

50,000 on the odo.

She hasn't moved since 1992.

What's the best way to get it back on the road? What should I be weary of/look out for? I haven't even turned the motor over by hand yet.

Find out why the car has not been used in 20 years, just to see if there is a pre-existing problem that needs to be fixed, or if it has just been laid up.

Pop some oil down the plug holes, leave the plugs out, turn the motor over by hand to see if it is free. Also pop the rocker cover off to check the action of the valves whilst turning the motor over by hand, to make sure none of them has stuck, as well to splash a bit of oil around the valve gear.

Check to see if the clutch has rusted to the flywheel or pressure plate. Flush cooling system, check, or better, replace the water pump just in case it has seized or the seal has dried out, also check the thermostat to see if it still functions, or replace it. Flush fuel lines and tank (check pump), replace any dodgy hoses or lines. Complete brake overhaul, including flexible lines and master cylinder. Check for compression, then check for any dodgy wiring if it is located in an area prone to rodent problems. Then pop in a battery, check the timing and spark plug firing order, and firstly turn the motor over to build up oil pressure. Sometimes the alloy block motors may need a charge of oil through the oil filter hole first to prime the oil pump. Then if everything checks OK, see if it will start.

Check the shock absorbers and add a new set of tyres as well.
    Last edited by Simon; 26th November 2012 at 12:22 AM.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

My R17TS was off the road for 19 years and all that Simon has said was wrong with it. This is a Phase 2 model. I wasn't aware that any were sold by Renault in Australia. It was my understanding that the last R17's we received were a Phase 1 body with some phase 2 interior fittings. These could be identified by a flap over the fuel filler as they had a phase 2 body but phase 1 bumpers and rear hatch and motors. Due to meeting ADR's. If I am correct, and Simon will know, then it is a rare car for us. If you want to read my R17TS saga, and it is a saga then go to http://renaultinaus.17.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=389 . Your car I believe will have a two barrel down draft carby so you won't have the hassles with injection or two barrel side drafts or unusual distributors. Note I also had an intermittently blocked exhaust that caused issues. Lucky you I would love it but I have been banned from any more cars. The oval and diamond plate numbers will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    My R17TS was off the road for 19 years and all that Simon has said was wrong with it. This is a Phase 2 model. I wasn't aware that any were sold by Renault in Australia. It was my understanding that the last R17's we received were a Phase 1 body with some phase 2 interior fittings. These could be identified by a flap over the fuel filler as they had a phase 2 body but phase 1 bumpers and rear hatch and motors. Due to meeting ADR's. If I am correct, and Simon will know, then it is a rare car for us. If you want to read my R17TS saga, and it is a saga then go to http://renaultinaus.17.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=389 . Your car I believe will have a two barrel down draft carby so you won't have the hassles with injection or two barrel side drafts or unusual distributors. Note I also had an intermittently blocked exhaust that caused issues. Lucky you I would love it but I have been banned from any more cars. The oval and diamond plate numbers will be interesting.
    Saga doesn't come close! Well done...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Selakta: Any chance photos of the diamond and oval plate?

Fellow Frogger!

Ok i'll grab some next time I can.

1000+ Posts

Thanks for that, waiting with great interest for the photos and also Simon's comments re Phase 2 in Australia.

Fellow Frogger!

The car was driven around Europe in 1977 and imported by Tony Ploy as part of his business (Corin Motors) if that helps.

He brought a silver '76 Gordini into the country the year before.

1000+ Posts

That makes sense. The country of origin will probably be UK then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    It was my understanding that the last R17's we received were a Phase 1 body with some phase 2 interior fittings.
    Not quite. The post-1975 15TS and 17's for Australia were manufactured to comply with ADR27 for evaporative emissions. The LHR quarter panel was a unique version for Australia, incorporating the fuel filler flap. The only other version fitted with a fuel filler flap were the US spec cars, but they also incorporated side running lights in the panel. The boot floor and underslung fuel tank were shared with the AUS and US spec cars. The European spec Phase 2's retained the same exposed fuel cap and fuel tank in the boot floor as the earlier Phase 1 cars.

The Phase 2 15/17 wase never sold here, but the import rules back then in 1977 were fairly generous compared to now. With concessions in the original 92.85% sales tax and import duty impost gaining concessions after one month, with a full concession in sales tax and duty after 15 months. Also back then, ADR compliance was quite significant. Depending on the jurisdiction, there were strict requirements for some items (such as seat belts, head restraints, glass and lights) with a number of other items considered more a roadworthy issue than a compliance issue. So in some areas, if one months overseas ownership could be established, certain ADR requirements were waived. So I'd imagine given the nature of the ACT, ADR wise, things would likely have been fairly flexible.

The subject car would be a UK spec (version 600) R1318.

The silver 17 Gordini (and I think there is also a Lemon Yellow 15TS in there as well from the same dealer) were personal imports of Australian spec vehicles. Renault offered European delivery of Australian spec cars, with a charge of $75 made on arrival in Australia to comply the vehicles with Australian ADR's in terms of seat belts and other Australian fitted ADR items.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Well, Selekta, tell us how you came by it??? It looks a beauty.

The rear lights look a little different. The body looks superb. Did they have a little more rust proofing by 1977.

I still have the Corin Motors sticker on my 1973 15TS. The sticker must've been made to last!

Alastair

1000+ Posts

Thanks Simon. There is a White R17 Gordini Phase 1 in Brisbane that was an Australian spec import. Driven around Europe first and then bought back to Australia. I was told it has some USA features but I can't remember what.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair Browne View Post
    Well, Selekta, tell us how you came by it??? It looks a beauty.

The rear lights look a little different. The body looks superb. Did they have a little more rust proofing by 1977.

I still have the Corin Motors sticker on my 1973 15TS. The sticker must've been made to last!

Alastair
    Tony was my grandfather.

That car looks really beautiful.

I do not really like the colour matched front end (which I think looks like they hit the car over the snout with a frying pan) but that is matter of taste easily corrected if need be. I think the chrome headlight surround looks much better and in the spirit of the overall shape/design of the car. Gives it a more aggressive look if you want to put it that way. Kinda like the difference between a shark and a flathead.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

I prefer the phase 1 look as well. But this car is so rare in Australia and appears to be in remarkable condition. I am envious.

A friend of mine in France has a phase 2 but put a phase 1 rear hatch on it because he thought it looked better.

Fellow Frogger!

Where is the oval plate?

The oval plate should be right beside it...maybe it has been removed.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by Selekta View Post
    Where is the oval plate?
    As mentioned above, it should be in close proximity to the oval plate, check around where the air cleaner is mounted on the right hand inner wing, or see if it is tucked behind the coil.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Fellow Frogger!

Found it.

Thread Information