Adjustable Cam or not?
  • Help

Default Adjustable Cam or not?

I am busy putting the Gordini motor, that's going into the Matra, together.

Because of the way it has been modified by the previous owner, I can't use the original block anymore. So I had to fail back to a 1400 block. That's OK with me because it is a quick way out. If I ever can lay my hands on a Gordini block, I will rebuild this motor again for originality reasons.

I'm wondering if I should make the cam adjustable or do I leave it at the factory (keyway) settings. If I do that, there will be an extra cover on top of the cam chain cover. How true to original should I go? It does mean extra hp for free! If I do get a Gordini block one day, do I carry this mod over or do I drop it?

I do like originality in some cars, but this one will never be entered in a Concourse d' Tat or Concourse d' Elegance because it will be driven and not trailored.

Advertisement

Ideas?

Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

1000+ Posts

I have some cars that I try and keep original because that is how they were when I received custody of them, and therefore I am a custodian of our history. But if the car has already been modified or cannot be kept original as the parts are generally no longer economically available then I don't worry I do what ever I feel like. I have some as close as possible to original and some modified. Perhaps if a car is rare then there is a moral responsibly to keep it original for history sake, even if it will not be restored to concourse standard. If it is common then the pressure is off, go for it. The other criteria might be whether the mods are reversible if so then perhaps it is not so much of an issue. The choice is, after all, yours to make.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I have some cars that I try and keep original because that is how they were when I received custody of them, and therefore I am a custodian of our history. But if the car has already been modified or cannot be kept original as the parts are generally no longer economically available then I don't worry I do what ever I feel like. I have some as close as possible to original and some modified. Perhaps if a car is rare then there is a moral responsibly to keep it original for history sake, even if it will not be restored to concourse standard. If it is common then the pressure is off, go for it. The other criteria might be whether the mods are reversible if so then perhaps it is not so much of an issue. The choice is, after all, yours to make.
    Frans, the Jet is already unoriginal. I wouldn't fuss & would do whatever will give you most fun.
    cheers! Peter

Hi Frans,
    I come from where you come from, and you make your car what you want it. I have never had a single car or bike that has stayed original for very long. I feel there are so many out there that only know how to build to original, that you leave it to them to keep the cars looking like they did. There are also guys who think they are building to original, and the care never looked that good when it left the factory.

So do what you want to do !!!!!!

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

...you've gotta ask yourself, do I want a museum piece or a car that I can drive..?
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Default Adjustable Cam or not?

I say do the mod and reap the benefits Frans, it will probably frustrate you knowing it could be better if you don't do it and it's reversible anyway
    cheers,

John

Hi Frans, I elected to use the adjustable sprocket which I purchased from Cat Cams in the UK. They also supplied the valve springs, retainers, oil pump drive and camshaft. All components are of the highest quality and beautifully machined. From memory the cost for all this was $1100 but I think it is money well spent as I believe a well set up camshaft is the heart of a good engine.Unfortunately, I have no performance figures because the engine is still in the assembly stage but I think 115 hp at 7000 rpm is easily achievable. Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Chopper Bob

Then I'll do it. Thanks for the replies.

Frans.

Fellow Frogger!

Frans, do you want to find a (temporary) home for an exceptionally well built motor which is sitting unused?

1000+ Posts

OK, now that that is settled, would someone please relieve my ignorance by explaining the gizmo in question? Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    OK, now that that is settled, would someone please relieve my ignorance by explaining the gizmo in question? Peter
    It is a gadget that allows you to set the cam timing. ie. there is no keyway that locates the cam gear in a fixed position to the cam. Like todays new cars with variable cams, this does a similar job but not automatically. You can adjust it and fix it at the peak hp position.

From the factory and keyway position the intake valve would be fully open when the crank is at say 102 deg ATDC. For max hp the dyno might tell you that it has to be fully open at 110 deg ATDC. So you will retard the cam a little with this gadget.

Regards

Frans

Thread Information