Type D coolant
  • Help

Thread: Type D coolant

Tadpole

Default Type D coolant

fairly new to frogs...this one is my first, had it since march

so my coolant is a touch low, went to get some to top up
    the manual on my Clio says it needs type D engine coolant. i can't find it in any of the usual haunts, only type A & B coolants
    is the type D really the only one to put in it? i read something on a UK cliosport forum saying definately not to put A or B in it...is there anywhere i'm expected to find it?...i'm in the penrith/blue mountains area of NSW
    hoping i don't have to go to a renault dealer or something stupid like that

thanks in advance guys

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

You might find this thread helpful:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showt...ream-G48-stuff

Tadpole

i have read that thread...and sorry, not helpful.
    lots of '' only use type D'' & ''type D or don't bother''
    i gather that it's definately only type D...but where do i buy it? the uk forums are no help for an aussie in that respect

Maybe its not such a bad thing to get the genuine article from a renault dealer? Although I do all the work on my own car (Scenic) I do get genuine parts and I dont remember the coolant was outlandishly expensive, and you dont need it too often. Also I remember at about 60000 kms and 7 years old, when I replaced the water pump during the cam belt change, that the inside of the engine was incredibly clean and corrosion free, and I had no hesitation in using the genuine coolant for replacement.

I usually mix the coolant stronger than required at a coolant change, then topping up with plain distilled/demineralised water should be OK in small amounts.

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Tadpole

so you're saying i have to get it from renault?...availible nowhere else?

i'd be happy to go to a dealer, even paying the extra cost it would be, i understand these are some of the things we need to deal with owning a frog in this wide brown land...but my problem is the proximity to a renault dealer. not a real viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmo View Post
    so you're saying i have to get it from renault?...availible nowhere else?

i'd be happy to go to a dealer, even paying the extra cost it would be, i understand these are some of the things we need to deal with owning a frog in this wide brown land...but my problem is the proximity to a renault dealer. not a real viable option.
    If I'm not mistaken, springwood is 50 km away from a renault dealer.

Jo

Is it a newish Clio or an older one? If its new and has original coolant, I would do small top ups with plain demineralised water. It would be (for example) the difference between a 50% mixture and a 48% mixture when the requirement could be anywhere between 30% and 50% (not exact, just looking at the principle of it). When it needs a coolant change then its worth getting the genuine stuff.

I have just looked in my Scenic handbooks and nowhere does it give the spec - only to use what is recommended by Renault Technical Dept (you gotta luv 'em, don't you).

However in my shed I have a genuine Renault 2 litre container of pre-mixed coolant for top-up purposes. Its main description is GLACEOL RX, and Type D. Also in smaller letters on back of container: "CONFORME A LA NORME AFNOR NFR 15601". (However, for all I know, Type D could be a later spec than Afnor 15601).

A quick search came up with Valvoline "MaxLife Coolant AF 50/50 RTU" which lists AFNOR 15601, 1991 in its list of compliances, also lists Renault spec RVI. Also it lists several ASTM specs starting with the letter D, maybe this is the spec Renault refers to, but there are so many specs it may just be coincidence. This is probably available at Super Cheap. There are probably other brands around as well. Use your own discretion as to which one to use.

If it is an older car then it would be handy to know what is in there now - it is not recommended to mix different types/brands of coolant.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Fordman; 20th November 2012 at 05:35 PM.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, springwood is 50 km away from a renault dealer.

Jo
    that could be parramatta...which i was told the renault dealer is not there any more, but i could have been misinformed. i'd be happy to know i'd only have to go as far as parra. still a nuisance to have to go that far... but not the end of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    Is it a newish Clio or an older one?
    2003. Mk2, Ph2...the best looking clio ever, but i may be a bit biased

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    it would be handy to know what is in there now - it is not recommended to mix different types/brands of coolant.

Cheers.
    for that very reason my intention would be to get enough to replace it all now...and keep a little for top ups.
    i've had it since 56,000kms...could easily be original coolant if it's long life stuff.

thanks for the help though, i'll look into it.
    don't realise how much of a pain some manufacturers can be when i've spend the last decade in falcons. 10 year old aussie fords spoil a man in their ease of parts & servicing
    don't have the perkiness of a little frog though...lol

Fellow Frogger!

Nulon put out a coolant concentrate that doesnt contain glycol...which I use in my pug because glycol is said to corrode alloy heads and blocks....would that be something to do with coolant for the clio...if its the right stuff for you it can be had from Supercheap

Tadpole

cheers mate...that would come in handy if i can get it from supercheap. i'll look into it

Tadpole

i'm now very confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by philipjh View Post
    You might find this thread helpful:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showt...ream-G48-stuff
    in this thread, someone said that type D is glycol coolant

but here...
    Quote Originally Posted by pugsley fits View Post
    Nulon put out a coolant concentrate that doesnt contain glycol...which I use in my pug because glycol is said to corrode alloy heads and blocks....would that be something to do with coolant for the clio...if its the right stuff for you it can be had from Supercheap
    a suggestion to use glycol free.

my boss told me though, after asking a mate of his (whatever that's worth), that type d is just a higher saline level...due to euro climates needing a level of anti-freeze generally not needed in australia. sounds a bit too simple

guess i have a long drive to a renault dealer to buy coolant if i can't figure it out

Fellow Frogger!

Hello Froggers, I am resurrecting this thread from 2012 because I have arrived at the same state of confusion as poster Halfmo did eight years ago.

I have consulted umpteen 'experts' also from Nulon and others and still do not have clarity on what the different prefixes and colours of coolants signify.
    The kind and helpful jo proffi has already provided valuable advice to me (see Koleos thread) but I am as confused as ever. My situation is this:

Renault recommeds Type D coolant. What is the difference between Types A, B and D? Apparently nobody knows. Not even the 'experts'.
    What is the colour of Renault's Type D coolant? Some say YELLOW. The internet says GREEN.
    The 'genuine' Renault coolant I bought from Metro several years ago came in a black container that read "Glaceol RX and was GREEN in colour.

Now the clincher, and the cause of all this confusion is this: the coolant in my Koleos is BLUE. Like genuine Nissan coolant is BLUE.

The reason why I am stressing about this is that I want to make sure that I put the same coolant back in the Koloes that it came with when new: BLUE.

But Renault specifies this mysterious Type D coolant that is yellow. Err... or perhaps green, or whatever. Certainly not blue. Or your engine will self destruct.

Another interesting discovery is that the Type 'D' coolant from Renault costs LESS than other quality coolants from Nulon, Penrite, Valvolene.
    That leads me to believe that 'Type D' coolant is really cheap stuff. Why? Usually OEM stuff from Renault costs a king's ransom. 5 liters of 'genuine' Renault yellow/green Type D costs $33. 5 litres of 'genuine' Nissan Blue costs $110.

Sorry to clutter this valuable website with this confusing and perplexing issue. Perhaps someone can provide some clarity.
    Last edited by Breitie; 31st December 2019 at 12:50 PM.

The Renault coolant is very highly regarded, second only to the Toyota red coolant. Its good stuff and not over priced.

Its about the only thing I'd say is worth buying at the dealer.

Koleos might be a curve ball for renault people though - its not a Renault. Its a Samsung made in Korea with a Nissan engine. I would be happy putting Nissan coolant in it

I think the renault would be fine, but I would be looking into the Nissan world for the best non-dealer alternative. I don't really know what the Nissan stuff is so best to keep with it to avoid compatibility issues.

Ignore the renault coolant - its great stuff and great value and great for renaults. But you don't have a renault...
    Last edited by Haakon; 31st December 2019 at 05:32 PM.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you Haakon for your very well considered and sensible response. You confirmed what I was suspecting, namely that a Koloes is not a Renault.
    I have in the meantime posed the same question to Renault Australia: why is the coolant in my Koleos blue, which is clearly not to Renault specification.

Regarding the designation "Type D": being an ex marketing man I believe it is meaningless and a simple exercise in "product differentiation", a marketing strategy to invent a new name for something common just to make it appear different and 'of superior quality'. For all I know "D" could mean "Different", or perhaps "Dex-Cool" which is the same yellow colour.

After all is said and done, and all the soul searching I have decided to use Nulon's Premium Long Life BLUE, that, according to Nulon's technical man is compatible with Nissans genuine blue.

Have a lovely 2020 everyone, and most importantly stay safe and in good health : everything else you can buy.

No worries Its a global industry, the badge on the bonnet can be misleading

Type D is just a specification, its not a renault or OEM thing.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post

Regarding the designation "Type D": being an ex marketing man I believe it is meaningless and a simple exercise in "product differentiation", a marketing strategy to invent a new name for something common just to make it appear different and 'of superior quality'. For all I know "D" could mean "Different", or perhaps "Dex-Cool" which is the same yellow colour.
    Spoon feeding....
    https://www.ccjdigital.com/understanding-coolants/
    https://prodepc.blob.core.windows.net › epcblobstorage › GPCDOC_GTD...

Thanks Jo, very informative link there.
    Cheers.

Fellow Frogger!

Jeez you guys, now I wish I had never asked the question. What a complicated business the world of coolants appears to be. Before this I never gave coolants a second thought and just topped the stuff up with whatever I had.
    I am really glad though because I have learned a lot from this enquiry.

Interesting to see that all Type D coolants listed are RED, like Toyota coolant. Not YELLOW!

The comment about colour confusion between windshield washer liquid and coolant brought to mind the 'professional' service (another one!) I had done where they filled the washer reservoir with coolant that messed up the windshield and pitted the paint on the car. Lovely.

No, it is really really simple...

Read up what is recommended from factory ....Type D

Buy two bottles of Type D and a bottle of demineralised water.

Drain coolant,
    flush with water,
    Replace coolant with new type D.
    Don't give it a second thought ever again... Just top up with Type D when required.

Jo

Jo

Thread Information