The new Logan
  • Help

Thread: The new Logan

Default The new Logan

Renault are now importing their new Logan which is getting rave reviews.
    http://www.largus.fr/actualite-autom...m_source=argus
    as a typical example.
    It has contemporary styling, no longer a last generation Renault engine but the latest 3 cyl petrol, over 510 litres of boot space and at a price even the Koreans find hard to match. It is a lot of car for 10,800 euros, very fully equipped and very robustly built.
    By contrast the Clio starts at 13,700 euros with a smaller engine, no aircon, no GPS and no computer display.
    This Dacia range is breaking the rule that you can't make small profitable cars. They are giving Renault one the best gross margins in the industry.

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Hi Gerry

This is great for renault. Have you heard when the dacia citadine will be released: apparently this is meant to be a Eur 5000 car and if so will be renault's path to growth across emerging economies.

thanks
    ed

Quote Originally Posted by edwards688 View Post
    Hi Gerry

This is great for renault. Have you heard when the dacia citadine will be released: apparently this is meant to be a Eur 5000 car and if so will be renault's path to growth across emerging economies.

thanks
    ed
    Seems to have gone quiet since Geneva. No idea when it will be released.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Renault are now importing their new Logan which is getting rave reviews.
    http://www.largus.fr/actualite-autom...m_source=argus
    as a typical example.
    It has contemporary styling, no longer a last generation Renault engine but the latest 3 cyl petrol, over 510 litres of boot space and at a price even the Koreans find hard to match. It is a lot of car for 10,800 euros, very fully equipped and very robustly built.
    By contrast the Clio starts at 13,700 euros with a smaller engine, no aircon, no GPS and no computer display.
    This Dacia range is breaking the rule that you can't make small profitable cars. They are giving Renault one the best gross margins in the industry.
    Are they selling half way reasonable numbers of Modus (Modi, Modera???) I wonder. I recall the series 1 Logan tended to dent Modus sales right from the start.

I reckon they're doing well and really strategically. Interesting to ponder those 1950s-60s moves by de Gaulle to link with the Eastern Block much earlier than other Western countries, and how Renault is now reaping some of the rewards.

Thanks for the post Gerry.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

That looks like a big car for three cylinders. The engine however is said to have 90HP out of those three cylinders. Quite a lot I would say for 900cc. Theoretically 100HP/litre. What does TCe stand for?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Shame its not on sale here. I think it would sell in Oz.

Fellow Frogger!

Never mind the Logan - we have one of those here in Brisbane - not a car but a suburb with a less than salubrious reputation!
    Bring us the Scenic instead! That would be great, thank you very much Renault. Every past Scenic owner in Australia has been hanging out for the new Scenic and would immediately be a potential customer! I have an 'arrangement' with my local Renault dealer to give me a top change-over deal the minute the Scenic re-appears. Heres' hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    That looks like a big car for three cylinders. The engine however is said to have 90HP out of those three cylinders. Quite a lot I would say for 900cc. Theoretically 100HP/litre. What does TCe stand for?
    Have a look at the new generation of three cylinder turbo engines from all the Europeans, they are exceeding 100 bhp per litre as a matter of course. This generation is replacing diesels up to 2 litres with better economy and lower pollution. Peugeot 208 GTi is a typical example.
    See this site for the explanation of the technology
    http://www.renault.com/en/innovation...y-tce-115.aspx
    Last edited by gerry freed; 16th November 2012 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    Never mind the Logan - we have one of those here in Brisbane - not a car but a suburb with a less than salubrious reputation!
    Bring us the Scenic instead! That would be great, thank you very much Renault. Every past Scenic owner in Australia has been hanging out for the new Scenic and would immediately be a potential customer! I have an 'arrangement' with my local Renault dealer to give me a top change-over deal the minute the Scenic re-appears. Heres' hoping!
    There is a new Scenic coming but the Dacia Logy does the same job at a much lower cost but is not so pretty. See the range at
    Www.dacia.fr

Have a look at the new generation of three cylinder turbo engines from all the Europeans, they are exceeding 100 bhp per litre as a matter of course. This generation is replacing diesels up to 2 litres with better economy and lower pollution. Peugeot 208 GTi is a typical example.
    Oh, turbo. I thought it was atmospheric. From a turbo 100hp/litre and over is not such a big deal. Still a nice performance. VVT too.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Here is the BMW/MINI/PSA approach to the same engine configuration
    http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/09/14/bm...etrol-engines/
    here's the Ford approach from Wikepedia
    Ford has announced a 1.0-litre, three-cylinder turbocharged engine for the EcoBoost family developed at Ford's Dunton Technical Centre in the UK. Production is to start in April 2012. The 1.0 comes initially in two versions: 74 kW (101 PS; 99 hp) and 88 to 92 kW (120 to 125 PS; 118 to 123 hp). The more powerful version delivers a maximum of 170 N∑m (125 lb∑ft) from 1,300–4,500 rpm and 200 N∑m (148 lb∑ft) on overboost, which makes for a broad torque curve when compared to on-road diesel engines. The engine block is cast iron instead of aluminium for up to 50% faster warm-up, at the expense of additional weight.[10][11] Due to natural vibrations of a 3-cylinder design, the flywheel has been deliberately unbalanced to ensure smooth running, without the use of energy sapping balancer shafts. The engine also features an internal timing chain, bathed in the engine oil, for long life and greater efficiency. The exhaust manifold is cast into the cylinder head, reducing warm up times and therefore further aiding efficiency. All this is packaged in an engine block the size of an A4 sheet of paper.[12] The engines are produced in Cologne, Germany, with production to later expand in Craiova, Romania. Production is expected to be 700,000–1,500,000 units per year. The engine is available in Ford Focus, the Ford Focus-based C-MAX and Grand C-MAX, and the Fiesta-based B-Max. Ford has claimed it may be available in the future for the North American markets.[13]

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Are they selling half way reasonable numbers of Modus (Modi, Modera???) I wonder. I recall the series 1 Logan tended to dent Modus sales right from the start.

I reckon they're doing well and really strategically. Interesting to ponder those 1950s-60s moves by de Gaulle to link with the Eastern Block much earlier than other Western countries, and how Renault is now reaping some of the rewards.

Thanks for the post Gerry.
    Modus sales are modest.

1000+ Posts

i read somewhere that FIAT has a small engine with electro pneumatic valve operation.No cam shaft or chain/belt, valves operated by the ecu i presume ,opens up a whole lot of options re timeing and lift PUGS

Fascinating. Thanks again Gerry. Interesting that we are back to timing chains.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=gerry freed;1118989]

The engine block is cast iron instead of aluminium for up to 50% faster warm-up,...
    Previously, aluminium engines and particularly cylinder heads were considered an emissions & drivability bonus, due to faster warm-up versus cast iron.

Not any more, it seems.

That was my understanding too - main reason the Fraud Foulcan I6 was so hard to make Euro 5(?) compatible.

[QUOTE=nota;1119103]

Previously, aluminium engines and particularly cylinder heads were considered an emissions & drivability bonus, due to faster warm-up versus cast iron.

Not any more, it seems.

It looks like the previous model Corolla!
    So it should sell!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Fellow Frogger!

I believe the DACIA is made in the Russian AvtoVAZ factory in Togliatti, Russia, the biggest car plant in ze vold, which until recently made the (in)famous LADA, and is now in alliance with Renault-Nissan. I just hope that the built quality of the Dacia turns out a bit better than that of the Lada!

Not sure where they come from these days, but I think initially the Dacia was made in Romania, certainly at the start of the Logan line. Drove a diesel one in 2010 and thought it was okay (plasticky inside, but very good performer, 150km/h on the freeway is efortless, fuel efficiency is great, comfortable to drive on long trips). Saw a lot of them in Germany, quite a few taxis.

Bertie

The Logan will be rebadged as a Lada in russia. Renault will control AutoVaz from 2014 ie it will own over 50% of the company. The Logan is currently made in Romania and Morocco i.e. the new massive Renault factory which opened early this year.

Yes, the Dacia comes from Romania where Renault took over control of the company when the Communist regime was overthrown. Previously it was government owned and Renault supplied technology and parts. Its main products are the Logan, Logy, Sandera and Duster. What started as a low cost producer using previous generation Renault components has been turned into an integral part of Renault's global marketing strategy. It is now a brand in the Renault-Nissan Group which is the flagship of their low cost vehicle range. Have no fears, the quality is excellent by any standards and in value/price they are considered in France unbeatable - especially the Duster and the new Sandero.
    In keeping with Renault's approach to designing global cars and branding them locally, it is being made now in countries other than Romania and branded as suits regional markets. The Logan was assembled by Mahindra in India, a j/v that didn't work out and there was branded Renault. In Russia it's a Lada. In France it is a "Dacia by Renault". In Morocco it is being built alongside the Clio 4. In India it has been replaced by a Nissan product rebranded Renault and so it goes on......
    Renault and PSA are in a tough corner fighting VW and the Koreans in the middle segments of the market but Renault with the Dacia strategy are opening up global markets with good margins and cashflows. It is done with a no-frills specification, practical styling, low cost manufacturing and design technology coming out of France and Japan with assembly in new factories in low cost countries.

Thread Information