Rear brake hoses - R8/10 or Alpine A110
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Rear brake hoses - R8/10 or Alpine A110

Does any one know what the length of the rear brake lines on the above cars are supposed to be? ACT rego knocked back my A110 for a few reasons but one was that the rear brake lines could interfere with the Koni shocks and should probably be shorter. I can get round it by altering the position of the end bit where it sits on the chassis so that the line is curved and sits neatly between the wheel and the shocks/spring but not sure I can get away with this. The lines do seem too long and may be after market so thought I would check what the original specs are. Cannot find anything in the R8/10 manual ( a useful reference for the A110 of course) that says what it should be.

Advertisement

bazzamac

COL

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    Does any one know what the length of the rear brake lines on the above cars are supposed to be? ACT rego knocked back my A110 for a few reasons but one was that the rear brake lines could interfere with the Koni shocks and should probably be shorter. I can get round it by altering the position of the end bit where it sits on the chassis so that the line is curved and sits neatly between the wheel and the shocks/spring but not sure I can get away with this. The lines do seem too long and may be after market so thought I would check what the original specs are. Cannot find anything in the R8/10 manual ( a useful reference for the A110 of course) that says what it should be.

bazzamac
    Hi Bazzamac

I have just measured the rear brake hoses on my A110 at 310mm long.
    I also have some other hoses that have been made up that I acquired a few years ago and they are 270mm long.

The route that my brake hoses take are between the spring and the shock, they come from the brake line that faces the sie of the car loop up and then down into the rear brake caliper.

It may be easier for you to just get some shorter hoses made up.

Hope this helps a little.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

bazzamac
    I agree re COL on the lengths. I replaced mine (R8 not A110) a couple of years ago with new ones from Argentina (there's a lot of newly made Renault brake parts from that source). Of four hoses, three were OK but one had a dodgy thread and went straight in the bin. The fronts seem OK but the rear that I did use has just split badly on the outer casing on the outer part of the bend. The genuine NOS one I fitted (and it is OLD) is in much better shape than the new one. Bit of a dilemma really...

Goodrich make or made braided hoses for this size too and they have been sighted on ebay in the past.

After my Argentine quality experience, I'm more inclined to get the local brake place to make me up hoses in future.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi Bazzamac

I have just measured the rear brake hoses on my A110 at 310mm long.
    I also have some other hoses that have been made up that I acquired a few years ago and they are 270mm long.

The route that my brake hoses take are between the spring and the shock, they come from the brake line that faces the sie of the car loop up and then down into the rear brake caliper.

It may be easier for you to just get some shorter hoses made up.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks Col and John

That's interesting and thanks for your prompt responses. My rear brake lines on both sides are 310mm long but they require careful placement to avoid the spring and shocker when the wheels are on the ground and when extended to their full travel on the jack. I think that 270mm would be the max but will get ACT Brakes to look at what the ideal length should be when the car is moving and when the suspension is at full rest. I guess you have not seen any specs on what they should be? Might check with Colin Stark tomorrow and pass on any info he has.

bazzamac

COL

Hi Bazzamac

My brake hoses are braided steel lines and are quite stiff and locate nicely between the shock and the spring.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Just double checked.

My remaining spare rubber hose is 260 mm end to end, the Goodrich braided ones are 270 mm end to end.

This fits the standard R8.

Thanks Col and John

That's interesting and thanks for your prompt responses. My rear brake lines on both sides are 310mm long but they require careful placement to avoid the spring and shocker when the wheels are on the ground and when extended to their full travel on the jack. I think that 270mm would be the max but will get ACT Brakes to look at what the ideal length should be when the car is moving and when the suspension is at full rest. I guess you have not seen any specs on what they should be? Might check with Colin Stark tomorrow and pass on any info he has.

bazzamac
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Bazzamac,

I just got 2 made for my R10 by ABS and picked them up yesterday. They were copied from the original Renault hoses and are 239 mm nut to nut. Total length is 260 mm. Similar to John's.

David

1000+ Posts

DJ 750 What did they cost? I recently had two made for the rear of my R17TS, they are not available in Oz. Cost about the same as ones from o/seas without paying postage, and waiting for them to come. From memory $30 each.

I had a new set of stainless steel braided ones made by Brake pro for my R8G. They cost $240.00 for all four.
    They make the braided ones 25mm longer than original to allow for the larger fittings.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA- ATMO 1987.
    Jaguar X Type 2002.
    Jaguar XF 2014.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ 750 View Post
    Hi Bazzamac,

I just got 2 made for my R10 by ABS and picked them up yesterday. They were copied from the original Renault hoses and are 239 mm nut to nut. Total length is 260 mm. Similar to John's.

David
    I just checked total length from the chassis to the caliper when the suspension is fully extended and at rest. Length is 260mm so will go with that or just add 10mm for good measure. Clearly 310mm is too long. Doubt whether ACT rego will accept braided brake hoses so will probably go with the standard hose. ACT Brakes will make them up.

Thanks everyone for your helpful info.

Cheers

bazzamac

I just checked total length from the chassis to the caliper when the suspension is fully extended and at rest. Length is 260mm so will go with that or just add 10mm for good measure. Clearly 310mm is too long. Doubt whether ACT rego will accept braided brake hoses so will probably go with the standard hose. ACT Brakes will make them up.

Thanks everyone for your helpful info.

Cheers

bazzamac
    Good outcome by the sound of it.

Do you know what the problem with rego and braided hoses is? I've heard the same for WA, and have some that I'm told informally aren't cleared for use in Oz. Seems odd.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Good outcome by the sound of it.

Do you know what the problem with rego and braided hoses is? I've heard the same for WA, and have some that I'm told informally aren't cleared for use in Oz. Seems odd.

Cheers
    Don't know but will ask both ACT Brakes and ACT rego and let you know in a few days.

cheers

bazzamac

Doubt whether ACT rego will accept braided brake hoses so will probably go with the standard hose.
    If they have a collar indicating they comply with ADR's, there shouldn't be a problem. The hassles start when there is no indication of ADR approval.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    If they have a collar indicating they comply with ADR's, there shouldn't be a problem. The hassles start when there is no indication of ADR approval.
    Ah, and I bought mine from OS, so no hope, legally at least! If I use them and have an accident I'm done, so.... Sigh.

Thanks Simon.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

1000+ Posts

I am not sure, does it apply to old pre ADR cars? What if you put new old stock on the car that is pre ADR.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I am not sure, does it apply to old pre ADR cars? What if you put new old stock on the car that is pre ADR.
    Good thought! I'm not about to throw them away, that's for sure, especially given the poor life of the new standard ones I bought. I hate changing brake parts prematurely.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    My new SS braided ones have a collar on them with ADR 42/04 stamped on them.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA- ATMO 1987.
    Jaguar X Type 2002.
    Jaguar XF 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    My new SS braided ones have a collar on them with ADR 42/04 stamped on them.
    Thanks Paul. Where did you get them please?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

I vaguely recall someone saying previously that when they couldn't get genuine R8/R10 hoses, they used R12 which were longer. It was one of the parts suppliers/workshops when I was chasing brake lines last year.

Maybe your longer ones are R12 items bazza?
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Thanks Paul. Where did you get them please?
    John,
    I had them made up at Brake Pro in Bathurst. $240.00 for all 4 in SS. I took in my original hoses and they made the new ones for me. To have them made in rubber instead of SS would have been about $50.00 cheaper. I think any brake parts supplier such as Brake Pro would be able to make new ones. The collars can be almost any colour you like mine are blue the same as the car (don't say it I had to choose a colour!). The first photo shows the collar with the ADR stamp on it. Not sure if its visible.
    Rear brake hoses - R8/10 or Alpine A110-dsc_1646.jpgRear brake hoses - R8/10 or Alpine A110-dsc_1645.jpg

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA- ATMO 1987.
    Jaguar X Type 2002.
    Jaguar XF 2014.

COL

John,
    I had them made up at Brake Pro in Bathurst. $240.00 for all 4 in SS. I took in my original hoses and they made the new ones for me. To have them made in rubber instead of SS would have been about $50.00 cheaper. I think any brake parts supplier such as Brake Pro would be able to make new ones. The collars can be almost any colour you like mine are blue the same as the car (don't say it I had to choose a colour!). The first photo shows the collar with the ADR stamp on it. Not sure if its visible.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1646.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	36411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1645.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	36412
    Hi All

The made up hoses I have here are the same as yours Paul except mine have a black collar. I am going to use them on my A110 eventually.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Sunroof,

The 2 R10 rear cost me $93:00 from ABS. These are rubber labelled "Brakequip Australia SAE J1401".

David

1000+ Posts

Thanks David.

John,
    Thanks Paul. Look good.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

John,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1646.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	36411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1645.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	36412
    Can you measure the length before you fit them so if I need to get some made (or anyone else), we'll already have the length. I'm guessing total length including the fittings would help.

thanks
    KB
    KB

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information