Fuegog gear shift linkage
  • Help

Default Fuegog gear shift linkage

I finally pulled my finger out to do something about my sloppy fuego gear stick.

The end of the gear stick linkage which has the captive ball joint packed in (now absent) urethane was allowing heaps of forward back movement of the gear lever.

I have attempted to fix these in the past, and it has been a very difficult job that has always had a less than satisfactory outcome.

Today decide to take a different path.
    I bought an 8mm threaded spherical rod end for about $10 with the aim of using that instead of the urathane balljoint.

The existing rod end appears to be swaged into the rod.
    I certainly dont have the tools to be re swaging steel that thick, so I simply cut off, then drilled out the rod end, in the vice with a hand drill.
    Drilled slightly undersize the remaining bits of the rod end could be removed with with a pick, leaving a nice round hole.
    Tapped the hole, cut a bit off the rod end and that end of things was done for now.

Advertisement

It had occured to me that the renault ball joint allows a lot of twist, more than the new rod end.
    Putting a regular hex bolt into the rod end saw it foul and reduce the twist of the joint, so it was obvious the bolt head and spacer nut needed shaving down.
    I dont have a lath, so I stuck the nut and bolt combo into the cordless drill and ground it of on the bench grinder until there just enough meat to contain the rod end. Full twist achieved.

After it was dummy fitted to the car, a bit of a twist and a bend here and there had the joint seating nicely.

Then the test drive...

Its firm, and feels quite unlike any other fuego.
    It vibrates like crazy at +5000 rpm, but I dont care about that one bit. By the time this car hits 5000rpm, your care factor of a noisy shifter is about 0.

Another thing worth mentioning.... That other linkage arm with the splined input on the box can be put in wrong, I discovered. Get it one or two splines out, and reverse just cant be selected without massive effort.
    Also if the rubber parts inside that 90 degree joint need replacing, I use old fuel injector O-rings. They are fat and tough.

Jo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuegog gear shift linkage-linkage.jpg  

1000+ Posts

It is possible to get the ball joint refilled. I have the phone number of a guy in Brisbane that does it even for steering ball joints. Mainly for buses and trucks. I have also used a small rose joint. I have swapped my R17 one with a spare as the other fell to bits like yours but I'll have to get it done properly one day soon. It sound like you have a good home built solution.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Jo,

nice one, now for the other end, with it's umpteen bits that go sloppy/walkabout..... ?

Often wondered, can a straight line shifter be done on the Fug ?

cheers,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    It is possible to get the ball joint refilled. I have the phone number of a guy in Brisbane that does it even for steering ball joints. Mainly for buses and trucks. I have also used a small rose joint. I have swapped my R17 one with a spare as the other fell to bits like yours but I'll have to get it done properly one day soon. It sound like you have a good home built solution.
    It might be possible but to be honest, $10 and an hours work is hard to beat.
    For my car that's hard as nails, another hard link is no big deal, but if I had a 'soft' fuego, I'd consider it.

Bob, my 'other end' is all new and hasn't walked about, so touch wood, this is the last attention it will need for a while.

Jo

Thread Information